George W Studleys World of Medals and accessories 1943

tarbridge

Herman: PM sent (i don't want to hijack this thread). But search on 'davison' within this forum and you'll find some (interesting) company history/legends & examples. Jim

Herman: PM sent (i don't want to hijack this thread). But search on 'davison' within this forum and you'll find some (interesting) company history/legends & examples. Jim

Thx Jim. Interesting info found.

• 4 years later...

Studley did "go off track" as time went on. In 1965 he sold the spuriously engraved Cavanaugh named Specially Meritorious Medal to a collector I know and although he made no claim of its originality, I still find that wrong. Since then at least six of these fakes have been seen. All are J.K. Davidson dies and all appear to be engraved by the same person. Fortunately the engraving is not that good and at least the two shown below do not check out on the Specially Meritorious lists or on the Sampson Medal rolls.

post-3347-0-66023000-1565306639.jpg

post-3347-0-86986800-1565306671.jpg

• 2 years later...

In attempting to re-establish order to my hoarded home I finally happened upon my copy ("Type 2" ?) of Mr. Studley's booklet. As you see I am only missing what amounts to the cover; finding it might establish an issue date.

My copy mostly tracks what Robert posted so I won't reinvent the wheel.  Of interest on page 3 is his including the Brevet Medal in an Army/Air Force, Medals/Decorations section. I can't believe he would have made such an obvious error. So why then?  A tin-foil helmet guess might be that he was ramping up his assembly line and wanted knowledge of the Brevet out front with his MoH and Certificate of Merit lines; of course we'll never know. The Brevet Medal is also included in the Navy/Marine section of this issue; it was absent in the 1943 issue. 

Another notable change is the inclusion of the Brevet photo. That's undoubtedly one of his: the mint wouldn't have installed the ribbon upside down. My guess is that is one of his Medals of Honor too: the fouled anchor doesn't look right even  if it were a re-ribboned and polished Type 1. I don't know if he ever assembled Sampson Medals. 

We have a price hike too: in general, between the two issues, a regulation size medal went to $4.00 from $2.50. Perhaps increased interest in the Civil War (and Indian War) campaigns jacked those up to $7.00. N&MC China Boxers are not quoted. Supply chain issues with Davison?

Jim T

Screenshot_20220501-132110.png.d97e7c7a3d9bdc3096d91d64a3984894.png

20220501_132252.png.717dca890ada6ed1a4649693fb0ea2be.png

Screenshot_20220501-154936-576.png.893f83d8ffa2064b844e41ce1eae4eb5.png