George W Studleys World of Medals and accessories 1943

tarbridge

Ever wondered where some of the medals, ribbons, and insignia we look and find today...came. We can associate many pieces from the famous George W Studley. The following information came from his 1943 booklet.

IMG_20150723_0001 (392x640).jpg

IMG_20150723_0003 (640x524).jpg

John Conway

Damn Big Bob - think of the smiles we'd be creating if a time machine ever turns up in your shop! I think you've found everything else a collector dreams of!

Robert, could you order me one of those Indian Wars medals? $2.50 is in the mail.

I have sent George a Western Union telegram with your order...I will let you know the disposition of the order Dex...I think he wants payment ts in gold coin...

i see in the terms of sale section, he requests an additional 3% if paying by Paypal.

George was always a man ahead of his time...

Robert,

Thank you for sharing images of this catalog as the originals are a bit tough to find. A lot of interesting information.

Mike

Great information. Thanks for sharing. I have all of the original Gleim lists and letters along with all of the George Harris catalogs. Lots of interesting reading if I ever get a chance to look at them.

Dick

Dick,

Those old Gleim lists / letters and George Harris catalogs will bring tears to your eyes in regard to the quantity of quality items and their prices!

Mike

Robert, thanks for the information. Its the first time i see such a booklet.

The name Studley-medal nowadays is used mostly in a negative way like a fake or so, but i must say that i think that basically he was a sincere guy. At the end of the day he made a profit out of the business and offcourse and he bend the rules a bit to his likings, but overall his homemade medal groups look fine (the ones i saw) to me.

Again great info.

regards

Herman

George Studley also bought medals (attachment, credit: OMSA).

Hermanus: You are exactly right the medals he supplied were of good quality. Others can verify this but i believe he used Davison as his source for some of them; he did provide a service to veterans in that respect. He went off track when he started numbering them: the MNo. Marine Corps and Navy Civil War campaigns, purchased from him for me by my father at the 1963 OMSA convention was evidence that he took it "one toke over the line". But even back then, the MCCW was a hens-tooth rare so having that as a filler was the best one could reasonably expect if you could look past the faked numbering.

I personally benefitted from Mr. Studley's line of medals when i traded a SAW/Boxer Rebellion vet my Studley Boxer for a replacement Navy & Marine Corps Medal (which he earned for lifesaving). He'd lost his three campaigns at a local parade and we assisted him in sending for replacments but they didn't have the Boxer for him (or a replacement Dewey for me). I may have also thrown in my Philippine but can't exactly remember. I still have the N&MC Medal (short case, medal exactly as was recently sold on this forum) as well as the letter transmitting it; I didn't request engraving because i didn't want to denigrate the integrity of his original. I still remember being in awe of seeing, for the first time his CSC. He served in WWI and went to the draft board to sign up for WWII; he was quite the scrapper.

post-152102-0-52556200-1437840631.jpg

Thanks Jim for the additional info. I didn't know that. Numbering medals for making a profit is not ok.

Is Davison still in business as a medal making company?

Regards

Herman