British A-13A/2 oxygen mask.

Niki

I have this oxygen mask new in the box and i wonder if its interesting to have or they are common ?

Are they the same like the USAAF or USAF A-13 ?

post-158693-0-69802900-1437649469.jpg

post-158693-0-13467000-1437649478.jpg

post-158693-0-88197700-1437649482.jpg

BlueBookGuy

An interesting mask - not really rare, nor very common either. Perhaps the average collector doesn't place too much interest in RAF items from early post-WW2 era.

RAF first pressure-demand mask should be, if I'm not wrong, the Type J. Officially introduced in springtime 1951, but lasted just a short period before being replaced by American A-13A (first pattern). This is the same A-13 as used in USAAF/USAF but the mic's front pocket being replaced by the large classic RAF external mike, with its unmistakable switch - all the rest (including straps and snaps) being identical.

The A-13A was replaced by your A-13A/2 (not know what year), and its most prominent difference is the unique British-designed tensioning sistem wich basically didn't change until today. One difference is, in subsequent British masks two thin chains linked the trapezium-shaped camming device to helmet's attachment points.

In your A-13A/2 two solid arms (perhaps with an adjustor) are in place of the chains.

I have seen these masks used by belgium air force on the P series helmet and they where flying thunderflash or thunderstreak.

Still nice its in the original box.

BlueBookGuy

An interesting new for me, never known the Belgian were using this pattern mask when flying the F-84F.

Our Italian pilots used exclusively 100% USA-pattern items (straight from there, or identical made in Italy under license) in their F-84F, F-86K, even the early F-104G. Evidently things worked differently in Belgian Air Force for whatever reasons.

BlueBookGuy

Just for comparing,

in this British-designed Type P mask (wich replaced the A-13A/2), the two chains are visible - together with a much smaller tensioning device.

Strangely (or maybe not, evidently the concept is good enough) the very basic system is used today after a full 55 years.

post-151851-0-54097700-1437658393.jpg

Yes i know beqause i have the mark 3 helmet with the P-mask.

But can it be that the oxygen mask holder(think thats the name) was holding a MS22001 than a A-13A/2 in the belgium air force?

I have seen pict. but it was on the side of the cockpit and the pilot was putting the helmet on.

Will try to find the picture.