2nd ID Subdued Patch Black Back Question

summersdogs

summersdogs

Hi to all. I have a pair of these 2nd infantry patches that were removed from a uniform. The reverse of each is all black except for the OD star. Is this in any way unusual or unique? Can they be dated approximately or country of manufacture determined ? Although the star color appears slightly brown in the scan, it is actually a faded OD. I do understand that mass quantities of subdued patches were produced and worn, and you may point and snicker at my question.

Many thanks,

Lynne

post-1405-0-57538300-1437578133.jpg

summersdogs

Thanks so much for your post, Cryme. My questions are answered !

Below is the text of P-E's response to you about your patches posted on oefoif forums, in case someone else here is interested.

Lynne

"Well, it's hard to say if they are US or foreign made. It exists many embroidery shops in the USA, and not only one big manufacturer...this is why sometime there're few variants : color of border, coloration of a small detail (eyes,etc.), reversed / normal design, back material,...

At least, I can tell you they are not theater made. When we use the term "theater made", it means insignia that're sewn in or around military bases inside the theater of military operations ("combat area") ; bases in Iraq, Afghanistan,....and in my own opinion, you can also add the forward bases in Kuwait, UAE,... Usualy, theater made insignia are hand made and shows some imperfections. That being said, current theater made are more often computer made. These last ones are in my opinion less interesting in a collection (mass production, perfect looking,... in opposition of the old "theater made" insignia that were hand embroidered one by one).

Opposite to this, there's what I call "foreign made" patches. This is for example patches that are made in Germany, Italy or Korea currently now. There're american troops there, and some shops offer in-country-made insignia. But this is not a theater of operation, simply US military bases around the world, they are not "in theater". "

• 3 months later...