Hollywood ribbon racks, ribbon bars and medals

63 RECON

James Caan and his Rack in the 1973 Cinderella Liberty, with Marsha Mason there of course. From what we can see, we see what looks like the  Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal. Good Conduct, National Defense, Armed Forces Expeditionary, a wrongly placed Purple Heart, Vietnam Service with no devices, and the Vietnam Campaign with the proper scroll.

caan.jpg.0c14cce114d12fdbd8189392329a9e31.jpg

Here a BTW Still, can't make out his Rate.

caann.jpg

• 2 months later...
easterneagle87
On 2/12/2023 at 11:08 PM, 63 RECON said:

Matt Damon in the upcoming Oppenheimer

matt-damon-cillian-murphy-oppenheimer-mtg-set-01 (2).jpg

isit my imagination or do these ribbon look like the Navy/USMC 1/2 inch larger style? 

• 3 weeks later...
easterneagle87

OK ... here's a dooooz-ee!  A recent FB posting: Remembering the late, great William Hurt, 20 March 1950 - 13 March 2022. RIP. I don't know the film, but portraying an Army general with a ribbon rack that sure looks like it was taken off of a Russian! Funny  

William Hurt Sovit bar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Kaigun Shosa

Here is Richardo Montalban in an episode of the Lieutenant starring Garry Lockwood. The one and only season was created by Gene Roddenberry. Most of the cast from the original Star Trek guest star on this series. The series was canceled after one season due to the sensitive nature of the Vietnam war. Very unfortunate since this would have been a great show!

image.png.d5e879b7a3490143b7cabfe7d5461d78.png

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, 63 RECON said:

Patrick St, Esprit as a USMC Maj in Narcos

Patrick St. Esprit, Narcos.jpg

Wearing colonel eagles with an upside down ribbon rack!

• 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Here's one from one of my favorite movies, "Cadence". This is a family affair with actors Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen and younger brother Ramon Estevez. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Ramon on a flight from Dallas to Nashville back in the early 90's when I was getting out of the Army. A more involved story, but short version, we had a good chat and while discussing movies, acting and being in the service, he told me about this film he had been in. When I had a minute I went to the local "video rental" store and picked it up. Rewatching this clip posted on FB took me back to a nice memory.  

Ramon is on the left and Martin on the right. Nice rack with 2nd award CIB. The flaw of this rack, is that the UN Korea medal should be on the bottom row end and not the beginning. 

An interesting side note from my point of view is that Cadence could be a pre-curser or "prequel" to the movie Platoon (Cadence came out first) as Charlie Sheen's character PVT Bean does disciplinary time in Germany before being sent to the Nam. It's got some painful scenes and subject matter dealing with a turbulent time, but worth the watch in my opinion.  

Cadence ribbon 1.jpg

Cadence ribbon 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Victor McLaglen as a Great War and Banana Wars Retread back in the Corps in 1941 after retirement or something, in a Service Comedy, Call Out The Marines. The movie was released in the early 1942.

call out the marines.PNG

Call.PNG

Cobra 6 Actual

Patches, I’ve read where the Marine NCO’s of the WWII and Korean War era referred to “bringbacks” as “Lead Marines” since, according to the NCO’s, they had “silver in their hair, gold in their teeth, and lead in their butts.”

On 4/23/2023 at 9:31 AM, decwriter said:

Wearing colonel eagles with an upside down ribbon rack!

Decwriter,
I used to work in film production.  There are no rules about decorations in movies - the display is as varied as the people in them.  But there are some Prop Masters and Costume Designers that have served, or through some other circumstance have respect for the uniform, and for those that wore them.  If the rack is upside down, it could be ignorance.  It could also be because Stolen Valor is real to the person(s) responsible for that costume, and they intentionally goobered it up out of respect.  I recently saw the final episode for the HBO show "Barry."  There was a shadow box with his salad, and it was upside down.  I emailed someone I know on that production, and he confirmed the props person made it that way.

Army Secretary Robert T. Stevens (left) is welcomed by uniformed actor Richard Widmark after Stevens' arrival at Tempeehof Airport in the U.S. sector of Berlin in 1954. The Secretary had just completed a six-day tour of Seventh Army troops in the field. Widmark was working on a movie made at the airfield called "A Prize of Gold".

Widmark.Richard.1.jpg

CinamonToastCrunch

Love to see those early AF transitional uniforms surprisingly accurate for a period film.

• 4 weeks later...

According to the interweb these are Booths awards:

Personal decorations

Bronze Star

Purple Heart

Army Commendation Medal, w/1 silver oak leaf cluster (6th award)

Army Achievement Medal, w/4 bronze oak leaf clusters (5th award)

Unit awards

Presidential Unit Citation

Meritorious Unit Citation

Service awards

Army Good Conduct Medal

Campaign and service awards

National Defense Service Medal, w/1 bronze service star (2nd award)

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal

Southwest Asia Service Medal, w/2 bronze service stars (3rd award)

Afghanistan Campaign Medal, w/1 bronze service star (2nd award)

Iraq Campaign Medal

Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal

Global War on Terrorism Service Medal

Armed Forces Service Medal

Service and training awards

NCO Professional Development Ribbon

Army Service Ribbon

Army Overseas Service Ribbon

Foreign awards

Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabia)

Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait)

Other accoutrements

Combat Infantryman Badge

Master Parachutist Badge

Air Assault Badge

Army Expert Marksmanship Badge

75th Ranger Regiment Combat Service Identification Badge

Special Forces tab

Ranger tab

4 Service Stripes (reflecting 12 years of service)

The bronze service stars on the service/campaign medal ribbons represent specific named campaigns or periods of service, not additional awards of the basic medals.

< Here's one for the books, stumbled on the 3 Stooges this morning - any recognizable American ribbon racks, ribbon bars or medals etc.?

2731026.jpg.809c3561416b5996bf8ef33936eb0ea9.jpg

8 hours ago, Bluehawk said:

< Here's one for the books, stumbled on the 3 Stooges this morning - any recognizable American ribbon racks, ribbon bars or medals etc.?

2731026.jpg.809c3561416b5996bf8ef33936eb0ea9.jpg

emoticonlaugh.png.11e443a05c915845dc5b52ecd9fa1c06.pngemoticonlaugh.png.11e443a05c915845dc5b52ecd9fa1c06.pngemoticonlaugh.png.11e443a05c915845dc5b52ecd9fa1c06.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...