Hollywood ribbon racks, ribbon bars and medals

63 RECON

439th Signal Battalion

"Mean Streets" movie, 1973.

CIB, SS, BSM, PH, Good Conduct Medal, Vietnam Service, Vietnam Campaign. I also looked at his Class A jacket as well in the following scenes. Two hash marks for overseas duty were present on his right sleeve with a combat patch for a unit that I couldn't quite make out on the right shoulder.

I am going out on a hunch here, but I'd say that someone who worked on that film served with the 199th LIB in Vietnam and put the Redcatcher patch on there for exposure. For one, it's a bit off center with the Corporal rank as if it has been quickly tacked on and two, the 199th LIB was a small, Brigade sized unit created specifically for duty in Vietnam. As such, the entire Brigade, save for its stateside creation in mid-1966, was in Vietnam for its entire tenure of active duty from 66-70. (Hollywood directors always love to put the 101st or 1st Cavalry on film, not one such as the 199th LIB that the general public wouldn't have recognized).

Personnel who served in the unit coming home for DEROS would have had the 199th SSI on their right shoulder as a combat patch and not on the left.

post-4009-0-24995800-1562880061.jpg

aerialbridge

Thanks, patches. Hollywood legend Rip Torn (aka Elmore Rual Torn, Jr) died this past week (7/9/19) here in LA. Born in Temple, Texas, on 6 February 1931, according to an article the nickname ‘Rip’ was a family tradition but when he broke into acting many Hollywood producers advised him to change it. But Torn figured his name would become an asset: and people would remember it. (I'd say he was right.) After several small parts, he landed a big role in 1957’s Time Limit with Richard Basehart, Richard Widmark, Martin Balsam, June Lockhart and the notorious Khigh Dhiegh, who a decade later became Jack Lord's nemesis, Wo Fat, in the original (and inimitable) Hawaii Five O.

RIP, Rip. Thanks for all the great movie and tv memories. Here's Widmark (top) and Torn in publicity shots for Time Limit.

post-18406-0-75516400-1563007117_thumb.jpg

post-18406-0-03947800-1563007134_thumb.jpg

aerialbridge

Hi, I was happy to do it. He was one of a kind, even for Hollywood. I was wondering about that watch too- I'm pretty sure it's not GI, seems to have a nice black, leather band and maybe 3 stems?

Thanks, patches. Hollywood legend Rip Torn (aka Elmore Rual Torn, Jr) died this past week (7/9/19) here in LA. Born in Temple, Texas, on 6 February 1931, according to an article the nickname ‘Rip’ was a family tradition but when he broke into acting many Hollywood producers advised him to change it. But Torn figured his name would become an asset: and people would remember it. (I'd say he was right.) After several small parts, he landed a big role in 1957’s Time Limit with Richard Basehart, Richard Widmark, Martin Balsam, June Lockhart and the notorious Khigh Dhiegh, who a decade later became Jack Lord's nemesis, Wo Fat, in the original (and inimitable) Hawaii Five O.

RIP, Rip. Thanks for all the great movie and tv memories. Here's Widmark (top) and Torn in publicity shots for Time Limit.

I posted some stills from this movie in Hollywood Patches #2 topic, here with Rip Torn.

Posted by patches on 06 June 2012 - 03:59 PM in ARMY AND USAAF First one from the 1957 movie Time Limit, somewhat like the later 1968 movie Sgt Ryker this one deals with Korean War POWs and what they did or did not do under the tender care of the enemy.

Here we see both Rip Torn and Martin Balsam going over some details about when Torn,s charactor, a 2nd Division Infantry officer who was captured presumably at Kunu Ri. This movie by the way takes place at and was filmed at Fort Jay on Governers Island, New York City.

post-34986-1339012767.jpg

attachicon.gifresized_images-2.jpeg

"Yours, mine and ours" (1968)

Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball

Posted by patches on 02 May 2017 - 09:24 PM in MEDALS & DECORATIONS

Henry Fonda as the real life Frank Beardsley, USN in the 1968 film Yours Mine and Ours.

post-34986-0-84929500-1493774586.jpg

Sorry for such a small image, but it's the only one I could find where he's in his Dress Blues where his rack is seen.

Got the movie on DVD, so Had to view the movie to get a better view and pause it to see, So what were seeing is ribbons a Purple Heart Medal, Navy Presidential Unit Citation (placed wrong?), Navy Good Conduct Medal w/ 3 Stars (A former EM for a lot of years before becoming a WO) What looks like the Navy Expeditionary Medal (placed wrong?), American Campaign Medal, Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Navy Occupation Medal, China Service Medal (placed wrong?) National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal, and the UN Korea Service Medal, his rate in flim was Chief Aerographer.

They did a good enough job as we see, however, unknown if these are the actually awards of the real Frank Beardsley, and the film was based losly as you'll see in the wiki link.

I forgot which John Wayne film this was, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?4c2ab69b2db42fdb1633316deccda45c.jpgb7873bae232689a9d0dc1d90c5aa0e40.jpg6d01a88e29b86df138e9637255ee7ef8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"She wore a Yellow Ribbon" Captain Brittles reading the inscription on the gold watch that G troop got for him

Lest we Forget

Have you ever wondered while watching one of these old "Cavalry", movies; where did they get the logs to build a stockaded fort when there are no trees around? Truth is, there were few stockaded fort on the western frontier and those were in the north country with lots of timber. A much more accurate depiction of a frontier Army post is in "Son of the Morning Star".

I won't even get into the inaccuracies in the uniforms we see in most of these old John Wayne Cavalry movies. However, they were very much fun to watch.

Have you ever wondered while watching one of these old "Cavalry", movies; where did they get the logs to build a stockaded fort when there are no trees around? Truth is, there were few stockaded fort on the western frontier and those were in the north country with lots of timber. A much more accurate depiction of a frontier Army post is in "Son of the Morning Star"...

I HAD wondered that, actually!

Before now, I just chalked it up to another engineering miracle by the Corps of Engineers!

aerialbridge

I saw these several years ago and took these photos. Probably pretty high up on the list of cross-over military movie memorabilia and medal or uniform collecting.

post-18406-0-73895600-1563244203_thumb.jpg

aerialbridge

According to Patrick Wayne, Duke's 3rd child, who just turned 80 (7/15/39), "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (1949), the second of John Ford's cavalry trilogy, was his father's favorite movie of those he starred in. Duke was 41 when the movie was made and he was praised for his realistic portrayal of the 60-year-old cavalry captain Nathan Brittles. Astride his horse, Brittles accepts a silver watch and chain from his men, having to put on his spectacles and choking up, as he reads the engraving in front of the silent troopers, “To Capt. Brittles — from C Troop … Lest we forget.” The line is from Kipling's poem, "Recessional".

post-18406-0-20209600-1563268405_thumb.jpg