Hollywood ribbon racks, ribbon bars and medals

63 RECON

I buy the premise of the 40 year thing due to the American Defense ribbon and the 27 year idea too, maybe the movie was supposed to have taken place in 1968 because I don't remember seeing any dates in the actual movie itself. Now the 40 year thing would put him as joining at the latest 1941 and the 27 years of service puts him up to 1968. So only other thing is maybe the events in the movie were supposed to have happened in 68 not the date as the movie was made. Darn the math is getting complicated these days. Now I have my head spinning.

The newspaper is dated 1981

The newspaper is dated 1981

That would mean Hulka came into the service in June 1954, not even enough time to finish Basic and AIT and get over to Korea to qualify for the Korean Serbice Medal (cut off date 27 July 1954, the Armistice period) :lol:

Well I guess that throws all theories out the window all the way around, just chalk it up to that's show biz.

post-34986-0-29077500-1534251304.jpgHOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD.......DA DA DA DA DA HOLLYWOOD!

That would mean Hulka came into the service in June 1954, not even enough time to finish Basic and AIT and get over to Korea to qualify for the Korean Serbice Medal (cut off date 27 July 1954, the Armistice period) :lol:

But he also has the American Defense medal, prior to 07DEC41. LoL!! So even if he joined in November of ‘41 he would have 40 years of service.

But he also has the American Defense medal, prior to 07DEC41. LoL!! So even if he joined in November of 41 he would have 40 years of service.

Only if they were consecutive years.

Only if they were consecutive years.

True. Good point. Well hi Service stripes match the 27 years, 9 stripes x 3 yrs/ea = 27 years. They got that right. Lol

Cpl Walter 'Radar' O'Rilley.

Injured from a landmine.

Said it was one of the few time's Hawkeye saluted someone.

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
SemperParatus

Was there "Stolen Valor" in the Godfather movies? In the opening wedding scene Michael Corleone is shown as above wearing the ribbons for the Silver Star, the Navy and Marine Corps Medal and the Purple Heart among others. In part two of the series Michael is giving testimony under oath and clearly states that he was awarded the Navy Cross however in the only scene in the series to show him in uniform there is no ribbon for the Navy Cross!

Was there "Stolen Valor" in the Godfather movies? In the opening wedding scene Michael Corleone is shown as above wearing the ribbons for the Silver Star, the Navy and Marine Corps Medal and the Purple Heart among others. In part two of the series Michael is giving testimony under oath and clearly states that he was awarded the Navy Cross however in the only scene in the series to show him in uniform there is no ribbon for the Navy Cross!

Maybe it was a pending award that didnt go through til years later, or an upgrade from the Navy-MC medal?

Maybe it was a pending award that didnt go through til years later, or an upgrade from the Navy-MC medal?

Here's a site on this :lol: No mention of a NC from what I can see, don't think it's in the book either, I'm imaging the mention of the NC in Godfather II was a script error :lol:

https://bamfstyle.com/2015/09/02/godfather-michael-usmc/

On his EAME Ribbon with Star Device, I always fancied he was initially Ships Detachment and was in on Torch on one of the Battleships and or Cruisers :D

This is from a, of all places, political forum.

‘There is actually a simple explanation for the Navy Cross not being seen.

The action it was awarded for was prior to Part 1, but the award took time to process so was not awarded until after that scene. During WWII it was not unusual for awards to take months or years to finally be awarded, especially if there was any question of their being upgraded (MOH) or downgraded (SS) by further review.

And this may also be a case where he was awarded a Silver Star, but it was upgraded to a Navy Cross after the opening scene.

For the E-A-ME, he could also have been a Marine technical advisor for one of the many amphibious landings that the Army conducted. Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, there were many of them. And while Marines did not participate, they were there as advisors.’

Mushroom, Oct 19, 2017 #2

Pretty much what i had said.

This is from a, of all places, political forum.

‘There is actually a simple explanation for the Navy Cross not being seen.

The action it was awarded for was prior to Part 1, but the award took time to process so was not awarded until after that scene. During WWII it was not unusual for awards to take months or years to finally be awarded, especially if there was any question of their being upgraded (MOH) or downgraded (SS) by further review.

And this may also be a case where he was awarded a Silver Star, but it was upgraded to a Navy Cross after the opening scene.

For the E-A-ME, he could also have been a Marine technical advisor for one of the many amphibious landings that the Army conducted. Africa, Sicily, Italy, France, there were many of them. And while Marines did not participate, they were there as advisors.’

Mushroom, Oct 19, 2017 #2

Pretty much what i had said.

I know it's just a movie, but it's fun to hypothesize :lol:

So don't think it was he was a Advisor to the Army in the ETO seeing how he was a Private or at best Junior NCO, would these guys be officers! he only becomes an officer, a Maverick, in combat in the Pacific, and seeing he has two campaign stars on his A&P ribbon means he was out there fairly late, say either the Marianas (2nd, 3rd, 4th Mar Div,s) and or the Palaus (1st Mar Div) with then service on either Iwo or Okinawa :D

Charlton Heston did actually serve in the Army Air Forces during World War II where he served as a radio operator and aerial gunner on a B-25 with the 11th Air Force in the Aleutians. However, I'm guessing this picture is from a TV or film role, though I don't know which one.

post-1761-0-15378100-1535468020_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

William Demarest as M/Sgt Heffelfinger USMC, his rack in the wartime movie Hail the Conquering Hero, quite a bit of Fruit Salad, WWI, Banana Wars, and the current war.

post-34986-0-59770900-1538278676_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marlon Brando in Reflections in a golden eye.

I've read someplace that the picture of Kurtz in the dossier in Apocalypse Now is a modified pic of Brando from this movie.

post-117117-0-17822100-1541754049_thumb.jpg

Jethro from The Beverly Hillbillies. He's supposed to be a four-star General but he's wearing an O5-O6 hatPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk