Hollywood ribbon racks, ribbon bars and medals

63 RECON

I love this thread...

Got to wonder though - do they just not know, not care, or simply enjoy seeing pretty colors mixed together ("Oooo! This one will go with that one perfectly!") ?

:P

Got to wonder though - do they just not know, not care, or simply enjoy seeing pretty colors mixed together ("Oooo! This one will go with that one perfectly!") ?

:P

Yes, all of the above. The average person (costume designers and audience) has utterly no idea what any of those ribbons are or what they represent, so it doesnt matter to them. Even in my military experience, a large percentage of fellow servicemembers had no idea what most ribbons meant or what order they should be arranged in. Only when an inspection, official photo, or promotion board came up did they bother with it.

Wow, a MOH ribbon over his right pocket. How wrong is that!?

-Ski

Just watched this movie. JFK was so impressed with the script that he allowed the film company to use the White House when he was not there.

I could not get over Burt Lancaster's uniform with the MOH ribbon over his right pocket.

post-12036-0-52672000-1533887428.jpg

Few more frokm STRIPES.

The Cpl is wearing a CMB, not often seen in movies. I wonder if he was a real Medic?

CPT Stilman is wearing a pre WW2 American Defense ribbon and 2 Korean War ribbons. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From IMDB

While playing the role of Corporal Briggs in the movie, Sam was actually an active duty Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Army assigned to Fort Knox, Kentucky where the movie was filmed.

From IMDB

While playing the role of Corporal Briggs in the movie, Sam was actually an active duty Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Army assigned to Fort Knox, Kentucky where the movie was filmed.[/size]

Interesting. I cant imagine the DoD giving permission now a days to use a base to make a film like this.

aerialbridge

Hulka and Barncke got what looks like the same racks but slightly different order on the Koreas. Props guy must have been hot racking with the ribbons. :P

Here is SFC Hulka's from STRIPES

The DSC was for saving his men. 2015eee1c469f6194717ca4948272833.jpg58214044b10ead6b01da400f2256ea12.jpg08fb8e2df6c737e7d217bdd939d6527e.jpg7be123e139b8c961b9b8f2cd1fa3433d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow, Sgt. Hulka has the American Defense Service Medal. Since Stripes came out in 1981, that means he had been on active duty at least 40 years.

Wow, Sgt. Hulka has the American Defense Service Medal. Since Stripes came out in 1981, that means he had been on active duty at least 40 years.

Yes. But at the end of the movie the show a newspaper stating he is retiring from the Army. You van actually read the write up.States he had 27 years in the Army, which means he would have enlisted in 53/54 timeframe. I took a pic of it.I’ll see if I still have it.

I buy the premise of the 40 year thing due to the American Defense ribbon and the 27 year idea too, maybe the movie was supposed to have taken place in 1968 because I don't remember seeing any dates in the actual movie itself. Now the 40 year thing would put him as joining at the latest 1941 and the 27 years of service puts him up to 1968. So only other thing is maybe the events in the movie were supposed to have happened in 68 not the date as the movie was made. Darn the math is getting complicated these days. Now I have my head spinning.

I buy the premise of the 40 year thing due to the American Defense ribbon and the 27 year idea too, maybe the movie was supposed to have taken place in 1968 because I don't remember seeing any dates in the actual movie itself. Now the 40 year thing would put him as joining at the latest 1941 and the 27 years of service puts him up to 1968. So only other thing is maybe the events in the movie were supposed to have happened in 68 not the date as the movie was made. Darn the math is getting complicated these days. Now I have my head spinning.

Nah, it was contemporary to that time, the ribbons snafus are just the typical Hollywood way, in most cases, not to mention the song Rubberband Man, a late 1976 song, was played in the club off post :D :lol: