Hollywood ribbon racks, ribbon bars and medals

63 RECON

• 3 weeks later...

Another one from Magnum PI, the late Paul Burke as Rear Admiral Hawkes. Hollywood loves to throw those NCs out there when dressing up Naval and Marines eh! :lol:

post-34986-0-14631600-1469768226.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
aerialbridge

LCDR Gomez Adams, USN. Mustang submariner, Operation Petticoat. Earned the American Defense service ribbon, with "A" device in 1941 when he was 11 years old, and in actual or potential belligerent contact with Axis Powers in the Atlantic Ocean between June 22 and December 7, 1941. Gomez was discovered to be underage just before Pearl Harbor and had to sit out WW2 for delayed re-entry until he turned 17 in 1947. Later, handpicked by Hyman Rickover for the ultra-dangerous Petticoat mission after he managed not to slide off the chair with the front legs cut down during his nuke interview. Awarded the Navy Cross by Secretary Goldwyn Mayer, unknown ribbon, split narrow stripe on left, apparently ripped by careless props crew, Legion of Merit with V, PUC, and Good Conduct Medal.

post-18406-0-99442300-1493597515_thumb.jpg

LCDR Gomez Adams, USN. Mustang submariner, Operation Petticoat. Earned the American Defense service ribbon, with "A" device in 1941 when he was 11 years old, and in actual or potential belligerent contact with Axis Powers in the Atlantic Ocean between June 22 and December 7, 1941. Gomez was discovered to be underage just before Pearl Harbor and had to sit out WW2 for delayed re-entry until he turned 17 in 1947. Later, handpicked by Hyman Rickover for the ultra-dangerous Petticoat mission after he managed not to slide off the chair with the front legs cut down during his nuke interview. Awarded the Navy Cross by Secretary Goldwyn Mayer, unknown ribbon, split narrow stripe on left, apparently ripped by careless props crew, Legion of Merit with V, PUC, and Good Conduct Medal.

the actors name is John Astin and he played the role of Mathew Sherman... Gomez Addams obviously being Astin's character in the Addams family

the actors name is John Astin and he played the role of Mathew Sherman... Gomez Addams obviously being Astin's character in the Addams family

Hey you missed the Wit There :lol:

aerialbridge

It's all goooood. The important thing is he and his illustrious ribbon rack are now added to the gallery. He'll always be Gomez to me. I had the pleasure of meeting "Thing" once, but that's another story.

Charles Laughton's character, Rear Admiral Stephen Thomas, from Stand By For Action (1942). Looks like a Medal of Honor ribbon.

post-913-0-13947600-1493756161_thumb.jpg

Henry Fonda as the real life Frank Beardsley, USN in the 1968 film Yours Mine and Ours.

post-34986-0-84929500-1493774586.jpg

Sorry for such a small image, but it's the only one I could find where he's in his Dress Blues where his rack is seen.

Got the movie on DVD, so Had to view the movie to get a better view and pause it to see, So what were seeing is ribbons a Purple Heart Medal, Navy Presidential Unit Citation (placed wrong?), Navy Good Conduct Medal w/ 3 Stars (A former EM for a lot of years before becoming a WO) What looks like the Navy Expeditionary Medal (placed wrong?), American Campaign Medal, Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Navy Occupation Medal, China Service Medal (placed wrong?) National Defense Service Medal, Korean Service Medal, and the UN Korea Service Medal, his rate in flim was Chief Aerographer.

They did a good enough job as we see, however, unknown if these are the actually awards of the real Frank Beardsley, and the film was based losly as you'll see in the wiki link.

BILL THE PATCH

It's all goooood.   The important thing is he and his illustrious ribbon rack are now added to the gallery.   He'll always be Gomez to me.   I had the pleasure of meeting "Thing" once, but that's another story.  

I could add so much to the" thing meeting", but I better not. I might get banned. Sometimes I really think I need help.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

aerialbridge

I could add so much to the" thing meeting", but I better not. I might get banned. Sometimes I really think I need help.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I shook Thing's hand-- seemed like the right thing to do at the time. :lol: 1979 and I was working at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica on weekends while I was going to school. I was checking this guy into the hospital, and he gave his occupation as something or other related to "the business". So I asked him what he'd worked on. Nice guy and I remember he was a character. You could see he got a big kick out of telling people that his most famous acting job was "Thing". I googled Thing just now and according to Wiki, Lurch (Ted Cassidy) played "Thing" and also a guy, Jack Voglin (1904-1982) who was an assistant director on the show.

Anybody got an idea what the center top ribbon is that John Astin, aka, Patty Duke's ex, is wearing?

firefighter

I shook Thing's hand-- seemed like the right thing to do at the time. :lol: 1979 and I was working at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica on weekends while I was going to school. I was checking this guy into the hospital, and he gave his occupation as something or other related to "the business". So I asked him what he'd worked on. Nice guy and I remember he was a character. You could see he got a big kick out of telling people that his most famous acting job was "Thing". I googled Thing just now and according to Wiki, Lurch (Ted Cassidy) played "Thing" and also a guy, Jack Voglin (1904-1982) who was an assistant director on the show.

Anybody got an idea what the center top ribbon is that John Astin, aka, Patty Duke's ex, is wearing?

Navy GCM?

post-34986-0-07626400-1494257955.jpg

Modest but accurate ribbons seen on Steve McQueen and Robert Wagner in the War Lover, McQueen's character has one additional ribbon there, that for the America Defense Medal, meaning he was in the pre Pearl Harbor Day Air Corps.

aerialbridge

Here's another Robert Wagner ribbon set. I believe he played two or three Marine roles early on in the 50s, not sure which one this is.

post-18406-0-89846500-1494289114_thumb.jpg

George R. Robertson in Police academy 4. Looks like the Air Medal and republic of Vietnam campaign medal up top but unsure of the others.

post-117117-0-37913400-1494579555_thumb.jpg

post-34986-0-65309500-1494731812_thumb.jpg

T/Sgt Moore (Jack Webb) and I think Sgt O'Neil (James R.Brown), Brown was a real Marine NCO right? If so maybe this is his Legit rack.