Hollywood ribbon racks, ribbon bars and medals

63 RECON

Hey all,

We have the Hollywood helmet thread so I thought a thread of Hollywood ribbon racks would be fun. Post your pics and point out any indescrepincies.

To start we have Harry Lennix from Man of steel.

post-117117-0-26881600-1437571994.jpg

Anyone know if there is any truth that Hollywood productions are required to create inaccurate uniforms thereby not representing actual soldiers/airmen/sailors/marines? I've heard this passed around but I know of no actual order or law. I guarantee I'm not the only one that watches for mixed-up ribbons and other uniform inaccuracies. I have not bee let down by the wacky combinations film-makers come up with!

Photo from a Midwest Orders and Medals Society pamphlet commemorating the centennial of the Medal of Honor.

post-152102-0-09415900-1437583045.jpg

uniformcollector

13 Days had some of the best fake custom ribbon bars I have seen. (These are the best photos I could get without re-watching the movie):

General LeMay

post-104949-0-50909000-1437588681.png

Anyone know if there is any truth that Hollywood productions are required to create inaccurate uniforms thereby not representing actual soldiers/airmen/sailors/marines?

That's a myth. The majority of major movies that involve the military either have technical advisors or actually get help from the DoD to get this stuff right. They obviously don't always hire the right advisors or are rejected by the DoD and end up relying on costume designers who may or may not do their research. Plus sometimes mistakes just happen.

That's a myth. The majority of major movies that involve the military either have technical advisors or actually get help from the DoD to get this stuff right. They obviously don't always hire the right advisors or are rejected by the DoD and end up relying on costume designers who may or may not do their research. Plus sometimes mistakes just happen.

You're correct about the DoD involvement with Hollywood productions. Here is a link to those offices: http://www.defense.gov/faq/pis/PC12FILM.aspx

Here is an article from DoD News describing the process: http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=516

uniformcollector

so how do they pull off the MOH like in Forrest Gump?

I believe it is legal to use the MOH in a production (like the Pacific, the Majestic, etc.)

wartimecollectables.com
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

strangelove.jpg

main__0006_drStrangelove_0.jpg

Clint Eastwood from Heartbreak Ridge and Robert De Niro from The Deer Hunter. I think there was some inaccuracies in De Niro's get up in that movie.

post-117117-0-31228000-1437609540.jpg

post-117117-0-03471900-1437609547.jpg

R Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket and a pic of him with his awards as comparison.

Is he wearing his own medals in Full Metal Jacket?

post-117117-0-58363400-1437651794.jpg

post-117117-0-14104100-1437651807.jpg

R Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket and a pic of him with his awards as comparison.

Is he wearing his own medals in Full Metal Jacket?

No. R Lee Ermey did not earn the Silver Star nor was he in Korea, the uniform for the movie was built to enhance the image as a DI, I'm sure

It's always struck me that his ribbons are incorrectly assembled in the movie, as well, odd as he was a Marine. PUC is upside down, and there's a Vietnamese decoration between the PUC and GCM, whereas it should be at the end of the stack