Stalag Luft III POW rosters

Bob Hudson

Both men are listed in the roster of the center compound but only their names, ranks, serial numbers and addresse are listed. I have not yet learned why but when I do, I will let you know.

post-6906-1249170521.jpg

post-6906-1249170536.jpg

Sgt. Boghots

Many thanks !! I appreciate your efforts.

If more turns up, all the better. But that's a nice piece of information.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi again, Paul.

Is your Leslie Breidenthal a professor emeritus at University of Oregon? And you are in Oregon - do you know him?

I learned that when his Fortress crashed, all of the crew members survived - two of the officers, Wornson and Elskes, evaded capture and returned. Breidenthal, the pilot, and Padgett, the bombardier, ended up at Stalag Luft III. I found only the one line about Breidenthal in the Arnold Wright books. I did find that Geroge Padgett arrived at Stalag Luft III on May 5, 1944. The woefully scant information in the MACR has a page of information from Elskes dated Feb 17, 1944 stating that Padgett (I believe Footnote annotators made a mistake) "was alive in France." A statement by Wornson dated March 3, !944 notes that Padgett definitely was alive on the ground and hearsay sources indicated that Breidenthal was alive and that six men were captured - that would have been all of the enlisted men.

Lt. John Beilstein of the same 397th BG states in the MACR #1346 (he was downed on Sept. 16, 1943) that he saw George Padgett and a third American taken prisoner - he noted a fellow crew member as being arrested at a train station at Toulouse. No dates are given.

Further, in the annals of the Escape and Evasion society, there is a bit about Padgett - I attach a photo of that page.

Lastly, and just because I was curious, I found a reference to Breidenthal (page 21) in the memoir of another Oregon vet who was a roommate of his at SLIII - here is a link:

http://www.8thafhsoregon.com/archive/Orego...ett-D-Perry.pdf

Isn't the internet amazing?

If you do know this man and he has written his own memoir, I would LOVE to read it.

post-6906-1249335999.jpg

Both men are listed in the roster of the center compound but only their names, ranks, serial numbers and addresse are listed. I have not yet learned why but when I do, I will let you know.

Breidenthal_center.jpg

Callahan_center.jpg

Thank you for checking. Much appreciated. Bobgee

• 1 year later...
market garden

I know of a man who was in prison in Luft III. He was not on the lists shown. He is from my home town, Maybe he was there after the roster in the camp was made. John

• 1 month later...
marauderman1960

I am new to this forum and I cannot say enough good things about this particular thread. The attention to detail and enthusiasm evident from members is fantastic.

Perhaps someone knows if Lt. Francis "Frank" M. Kirby appears in McCrigh

t's list of Stalag Luft III. He was a B-26 pilot with the 394th Bomb Group. He and his crew were shot down on Monday, June 12, 1944 near Creil, France. I believe Kirby and his co-pilot Sol Hershkowitz were the only survivors. Kirby was reported to have been on the march from Sagan to Mooseberg in 1945.

Thanks for any info and thanks for making this a fantastic forum!

Ed

• 3 months later...
This is a fantastic thread !!

I don't have any of this material in my library. If someone gets a chance, I'd be curious if Bridenthal, Leslie J. is listed . . .

Pilot, B-17, crash landed his aircraft after the crew bailed out over Nantes, France. - 379th Bomb Group, Kimbolton, England.

Best regards,

Paul

Yes Lt Leslie Breidenthal was the pilot of a b17 43-29937 that was shot down while on bombing raid of st jauques airdrome on sept 23 1943 if you wish to know more of him ask away my uncle staff sgt waldo l rickett was the tail gunner on lt breidenthals crew.

Hi again, Paul.

Is your Leslie Breidenthal a professor emeritus at University of Oregon? And you are in Oregon - do you know him?

I learned that when his Fortress crashed, all of the crew members survived - two of the officers, Wornson and Elskes, evaded capture and returned. Breidenthal, the pilot, and Padgett, the bombardier, ended up at Stalag Luft III. I found only the one line about Breidenthal in the Arnold Wright books. I did find that Geroge Padgett arrived at Stalag Luft III on May 5, 1944. The woefully scant information in the MACR has a page of information from Elskes dated Feb 17, 1944 stating that Padgett (I believe Footnote annotators made a mistake) "was alive in France." A statement by Wornson dated March 3, !944 notes that Padgett definitely was alive on the ground and hearsay sources indicated that Breidenthal was alive and that six men were captured - that would have been all of the enlisted men.

Lt. John Beilstein of the same 397th BG states in the MACR #1346 (he was downed on Sept. 16, 1943) that he saw George Padgett and a third American taken prisoner - he noted a fellow crew member as being arrested at a train station at Toulouse. No dates are given.

Further, in the annals of the Escape and Evasion society, there is a bit about Padgett - I attach a photo of that page.

Lastly, and just because I was curious, I found a reference to Breidenthal (page 21) in the memoir of another Oregon vet who was a roommate of his at SLIII - here is a link:

http://www.8thafhsoregon.com/archive/Orego...ett-D-Perry.pdf

Isn't the internet amazing?

If you do know this man and he has written his own memoir, I would LOVE to read it.

i first am very happy that you are interested in all of the brave and great men. let me add what info i have first i was raised by waldo l rickett the tailgunner on the b17 43-29937 shot down on sept 23 1943 over st jaques airdrome rennes france he was the tail gunner of this crew. asfar as padgett it is true he evaded and was befriended by the french undergroudd to the point where they named a street in toulouse after him. my uncle and mayo and other enlisted men where captured and sent to stalag 17b in krems austria lt breidenthal and padgett where sent to stalag 3 in sagen the great escape camp unlil they where later moved before the escape attempt. if there are any questions you have pls feel free to post them here and i will try tot answer them from what i have gained from both my uncle and others on his crew

gauthieb3sxz

Any reference to J. Francis Angier? He's a B-17 pilot who lives near me who was at Stalag Luft III for quite a long time. I may give him a call and see if he remembers Szaniawski.

• 2 weeks later...

Any way of contacting Everett Perry or any former POW of Stalag Luft III? I wish to share if they were wounded (including severe frostbite) during captivity, they are eligible for the Purple Heart.

Robert

• 3 years later...

The Arnold Wright book is the one I sent you the entry from that listed your Grandfather's POW number ETC.

Kurt

• 1 year later...
ThiensvilleFlyer

Hi,

I am new to this site and this forum. My Dad was a POW in Stalag Luft 3. I am wondering if there is information in Behind the Wire on him. His information is listed below:

Norman Pipkorn

B17 Navigator

Arrived at Stalag Luft 3 on 06/27/44

Any information would be appreciated. I am thankful that I found this site.

Jim

Hi,

I am new to this site and this forum. My Dad was a POW in Stalag Luft 3. I am wondering if there is information in Behind the Wire on him. His information is listed below:

Norman Pipkorn

B17 Navigator

Arrived at Stalag Luft 3 on 06/27/44

Any information would be appreciated. I am thankful that I found this site.

Jim

Do you have the missing air crew reports mentioning him? Here's one that's a translation of German documents:

Fold3_Page_9_Missing_Air_Crew_Reports_MACRs_of_the_US_Army_Air_Forces_19421947.jpg

ThiensvilleFlyer

Thank you very much. I have seen MACR 5984 somewhere, but I will have to re-find it. I have never seen the document that you posted, so I really appreciate that.

Jim

• 3 years later...
williamebarlow

I spent my teenage years in the small town of Benton, Arkansas. Ewell McCright was a friend of the family. As a teen,I was not aware of Mr. McCright's heroic background. I will share a few of the stories I know about him.
Ewell was a lawyer. He was eccentric and he drank a lot. He always wore a black trench coat and kept a bottle of liquor on the inside pocket. He spoke in a very loud and rough voice. If you didn't know him you would have thought he was angry when he spoke. Perhaps he spoke loud due to always speaking in court. Perhaps the course voice was due to his drinking.
As I said, Ewell, was quite eccentric. Once he walked into the courtroom wearing nothing but his trench coat. He often argued with the judge. He was known for chasing the secretary around the courtroom. On one occasion Ewell was was on trial and represented himself. He would stand and ask himself questions and then run to the chair and sit down to answer the question.
As a teen I always thought Ewell was just a drunk. It was not until a decade after his death that I heard these courtroom stories and that he had been a POW and a wartime hero. Also he had been a State Representative. I learned them from a girlfriend who had known Ewell her entire life. I consider it a great privilege to have known a real hero that he was.