Images Taken At The Battle Of The Alamo

GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas

These two stills were taken during the filming of the movie Davy Crockett starring Fess Parker. The Mexican uniforms are not correct. Santa Anna was ordering uniforms and equipment from England and all of the Mexican Alamo period buttons have English backmarks and the troops used the British Brown Bess (India Pattern).

post-1658-0-42578600-1437516121.jpg

I can't remember how many times I watched that movie when I was a young kid. Although the uniforms are wrong it is still a memorable movie.

I fondly recall watching as a kid also, and the entire time hoping the tide would turn and Davey and the boys would come out victorious!

I watched it as a kid and of course loved it and everything Davy Crockett. But I watched it recently and the thing that stood out that I didn't remember as a kid was the wiggle or wobble in the bayonets and even the rifles. But that's ok. I still agree with Georgie......give em what fer Davy!

Ronnie

Davy Crockett was my hero for years when I was a kid.

I read everything I could about him at the time.

He was/is "the man".

A lot of us watched as kids and then took it as gospel.

Then as an adult, I moved my family to Texas. I asked my grade school kids to sit and watch it with me, and within 10 minutes they were pointing out the historical errors.

I lost a lot of credibility as a historian that day!

• 3 weeks later...

If you're supposed to not, "Mess with Texas," you're for sure not to mess with their history!

I keep hearing rumors that someone was looking to do a 'very accurate' Alamo movie but the 2004 Disney one killed the project. Beats me why, I thought the Disney movie wasn't half bad, it for sure was more accurate than the John Wayne one (though not remotely as entertaining). But I know Texans went bonkers when the scene came up showing Crocket as having been executed as a prisoner. That is based on one memoir written long after the battle by one of Santa Anna's officers, something many historians don't take too seriously.

Goodness knows they got a lot more right than not, though. Travis being killed early in the battle was well known, as was the final attack happening in the middle of the night.