WWI USMC KIA Document

Collector .45

Collector .45

I thought I would share this as I am not really a USMC collector but it was just too cool to pass up. I picked this up last Friday at an estate sale. Nicely named and dated. I am looking forward to the research.

- Henry

post-104196-0-55920700-1437404193.jpg

post-104196-0-74478000-1437404202.jpg

He was with the 77th Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion and KIA on the second day of the Battle of Belleau Wood...the first day of fighting,a s the 1st was primarily a day of preparation and entrenching on the US side

Wow... Lucky find! Was there anything else at the Estate sale related to him? 6th MG Bn is my favorite unit...nice score, congrats!

Thanks for sharing. Very nice find commemorating the ultimate sacrifice of a Devil Dog. The 6th MGB is a fascinating unit. Would like to repeat Hessians question on whether you were able to find anything else? If at an estate sale, there is always a possibility (or dream) and I would consider re-contacting those folks to see if there is any chance at all of more from this Marines service. Kevin

Collector .45

So I did well for my whole $3? There was a large box of letters and at first glance they were to a different soldier. Unfortunately the letters were sold to someone else. I went to the sale intending to buy a uniform however this was sitting on the table next to it. I will have to look into reconnecting with the family. I did manage to find a picture of him through the MN Historical Societies War Records Commission. He was born in St. Paul in 1897. Would it be a good idea to have Golden Arrow pull his records?

Thanks

- Henry

$3? Fantastic find for the money

Often times paper goes overlooked at estate sales in the frenzy to buy the uniforms and gear, but you unearthed a gem that would fit into any WWI or early USMC collection

I had not seen this particular type of certificate before

He was killed just down this road around the bend approximately 300 meters in the woods just off the road to the left (north). This road is the famous Paris Metz road and in those early states of what became known as the battle for Belleau Wood, the most perilous threat was believed to be from this direction as well as crossing the Marne. Two Hotchkiss machine gun crews were moved to cover the approaches to this village and Brown was on one of these crews when he was hit by artillery fire. Lt. William B. Croka whose dress blues I have was wounded by a shell in the same barrage watched Brown killed and discussed it later.

post-2182-0-41755300-1437416709.jpg

Great pickup Henry, and leave it to Kevin to provide some more detail about where he was KIA.

MNHS has the original copy of his image used by the WRC:

post-5941-0-35447300-1437421978.jpg

Great pickup Henry, and leave it to Kevin to provide some more detail about where he was KIA.

MNHS has the original copy of his image used by the WRC:

attachicon.gifmedia.jpg

Beautifully clear picture! I love it.

The photo is a poignant reminder of how young most of these guys were at the time of their service! Sometimes, it's easy for me to keep thinking, as a veteran and military collector for the last 48 years, that I'm just like them, but that ship sailed long ago!! Their service was then, and still is now, such a high price to be paid by them and their families! Thanks for sharing this adventure in historic preservation!

David

Collector .45

Thank you for the information everyone. I think this is now one of my favorite pieces.

- Henry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Collector .45

I'm bringing this back up to the top to honor this marines sacrifice.

Today in 1918, Charles F. Brown was killed in action during the Battle of Belleau Wood while serving with the 77th Company of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion.

R.I.P. Marine Semper Fi

- Henry

Thanks for sharing. I missed your original post, so this is my first time seeing this.

I would really like to use an image of the certificate for a book project or two that I am working on.

Best Regards,

ww1buff

scmcgeorge

Google maps street view of Le Thiolet is very nice, looks much like the period view except the line of trees on the right of the period image are no longer there. Steve McG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...