B-24 (Full) Waist Gunner, mid-1944

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

thanks!

yes, actually it will have also a bail-out bottle strapped to his leg, added to the 'walkaround' one wich will be clipped to left-side of A-3 harness. However, guess A-14 mask should stay attached to A-12 regulator's extension hose - this, will be bolted to the (future) oxy. panel.

Could be not bad the mask connected to the green A-4 bottle, but even better if connected to the A-12. In all, three different lines linking the gunner to the 'airplane' B)

Almost forgot this thread. Here is a picture of a friend of mine who was a B24 gunner with the 454th BG. His crew was shot down in February 1945 and he was made a POW.

I've almost got all the stuff to replicate his flight gear. Just waiting to find a B-3 jacket for underneath the B-10.

Note the scarf around his neck and of the ball turret gunner in the background. All of the guys wore those for the cold. Note how tired he looks.

post-68384-0-06710700-1437950560.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Interesting photos, thanks!!

My friends has got the white silk scarf, guess he'll wish using that.

BlueBookGuy

hello, we're slowly getting closer to a finished full-sized gunner. Here some pics of more items - this time, for body's lower part + the gloves.

Guess should have the whole guy assembled in next days, at least the airman himself. That infamous "fuselage station oxy. box" still can wait, some experiment will follow by using plywood material instead of metal sheets. Once finished and painted a light grey, should look OK - instruments and whatever else are strictly originals.

post-151851-0-55871900-1438360210.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Winter trousers are the A-11, and will match the B-15 jacket. Gloves are the A-9.

A pair of true, untouched A-6 boots also; a stroke of luck finding these in nice shape and never having been used.

post-151851-0-36076500-1438362255.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Great-looking Flak Vest, complete of both the correct armored front and back. A nice M-3 Flak Helmet my friend already does have.

At this point, next step will be assembling the guy and adding those 'optional' correct items wich, technically, are parts of airplane and not longer of gunner. Connections of oxy. lines, mike and intercom, plus a couple oxygen bottles (walkaround type + bail-out type). Will look really great!

To next one.

post-151851-0-20858500-1438362532.jpg