Saluting Officer

Ronnie

I bought this statue at a Cracker Barrel Restuarant. It's made of a high density plastic and came in one color.....silver. I cleaned it then painted it. I found some small lapel ribbons and a 2" CIB that seemed to fit to scale perfectly. I think it turned out ok.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-30694700-1437360562.jpg

ha! a cracker barrel huh?

he's so small! maybe you could put him outside as a lawn jockey>?? :lol:

what is that baseball cap with TR insignia on it?

-Brian

Ha thanks Robert.

Brian sorry that's TR stuff and can't discuss that here. Did'nt mean to get that in the photo but my room is so small and I don't know how to crop a photo.

Ronnie

Ha thanks Robert.

Brian sorry that's TR stuff and can't discuss that here. Did'nt mean to get that in the photo but my room is so small and I don't know how to crop a photo.

Ronnie

Ronnie...you can send Brian a pm about your unmentionable. ..

General Apathy

I bought this statue at a Cracker Barrel Restuarant. It's made of a high density plastic and came in one color.....silver. I cleaned it then painted it. I found some small lapel ribbons and a 2" CIB that seemed to fit to scale perfectly. I think it turned out ok.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, I would like to congratulate you on seeing beyond what you first saw in silver, and painting it so well, envy is expressed. ^_^

My question would be if it was for sale in Cracker Barrel is it a one-off piece or is it a range they are running, I'm sure many other members would like to copy you possibly with the the addition of their favorite SSI.

Lewis

Lewis nice to here from you. So far I've seen a couple of similar items at the Cracker Barrel. The first was this soldier. After I purchased this and painted it I went back to get another. They were sold out. Then several months later, perhaps as much as a year later they had another shipment of these. By then complacency had hit and I didn't buy another. I have seen an eagle in the same material. I thought about buying the eagle and making an Old Abe out of him and ad the 101 patch but there was no room for the patch. I keep expecting them to do another soldier.....or maybe a sailor. I will keep my eyes open and if another saluting soldier becomes available I will let you know. If you want it I could get it and ship to you.

Btw these things are made as flag stands....they have a place on the back to slide a flag pole into.

It's great to hear from you. Have you talked to Tom lately.

Ronnie

General Apathy

Lewis nice to here from you. So far I've seen a couple of similar items at the Cracker Barrel. The first was this soldier. After I purchased this and painted it I went back to get another. They were sold out. Then several months later, perhaps as much as a year later they had another shipment of these. By then complacency had hit and I didn't buy another. I have seen an eagle in the same material. I thought about buying the eagle and making an Old Abe out of him and ad the 101 patch but there was no room for the patch. I keep expecting them to do another soldier.....or maybe a sailor. I will keep my eyes open and if another saluting soldier becomes available I will let you know. If you want it I could get it and ship to you.

Btw these things are made as flag stands....they have a place on the back to slide a flag pole into.

It's great to hear from you. Have you talked to Tom lately.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie, thanks for the information and the offer of shipping one over to me, very kind, after receiving a tee shirt from another forum member last week it might be that I would have to sell the house to afford the shipping, gift tee shirt weighed about the same as a croissant but cost twenty-six dollars to ship it.??

I swapped a couple of emails with Tom a couple of months back, sadly as we both retired then our business connections curtailed, pity really that it's such a distance that prevents visiting each other.

Take care and good to see some of your collection in the photo, the soldier is a great piece, would be great stood in your window for American commemoration days and holidays etc.

Lewis

Looks great! I remember seeing these at Cracker Barrel but I haven't seen them in a long time. I never thought about painting them. Great idea....Kat

Thanks cjVI and Kat. Kat if they bring em back we need to buy the all and paint em up.

Ronnie

Definitely! If I see any, I will send you a quick message to let you know. I was there before the 4th and don't remember seeing any. Maybe they will bring them back for Veteran's Day. ...Kat

They had the Eagle back around the 4th. It was made just like the soldier with the flag pole thingy on the back and constructed out of the same thick silver colored plastic.

Ronnie