EXPERIMENTAL / WEIRD US HELMET LINER

ITALIANWARFRONT

ITALIANWARFRONT

Got this on E bay, I could not resist.

The weight is 2 # 4 oz and is made of some kind of fabric fiber.

All the webbing is the classic WWII and the date on the small rear strap is 1945.

According to the seller this came with a USMC WWII group of items, any idea on the yellow marking painted on the helmet?

Has anyone seen this kind of helmet/liner before?

By the way fits perfectly on the WWII M 1 steel pot.

Giorgio

post-2250-1217895353.jpg

Pained over hood or st clair?!!? and inside was painted white?!!? :huh: :huh:

Thats my best guess.. crying.gif sorry I can't help, I sure people here can though.

Great camera work by the way thumbsup.gif

ITALIANWARFRONT
Pained over hood or st clair?!!? and inside was painted white?!!? :huh: :huh:

Thats my best guess.. crying.gif sorry I can't help, I sure people here can though.

Great camera work by the way thumbsup.gif

The inside is not painted white is just the material color think.gif

Very interesting think.gif ....a regular liner weighs a little under 1 lb , that one looks like it has a layer of fiberglass on the inside.....kind of looks like the Iraqi helmets....but with WWII webbing.....maybe it was an experiment to make a liner almost combat ready without the steel shell and its weight....could be good old yankee inginuity of an individual soldier or a true experimental helmet by the US government towards the end of the war?? Or maybe even a early post war foreign country made helmet???........mike

ITALIANWARFRONT
could the sun bleach the inside like that maybe? then period rewebbed, has it got a makers mark?

No makers mark on the shell, only on the webbing

No makers mark on the shell, only on the webbing

i notice the webbing has a "P" like my westinghouse liner, i dont mean to say this in a rudeway or anything but do you know where to look for the makers mark/stamp?

i notice the webbing has a "P" like my westinghouse liner, i dont mean to say this in a rudeway or anything but do you know where to look for the makers mark/stamp?

I am sure he does, He sells some very nice helmets on ebay and always has pictures of the liner stamp. thumbsup.gif

Towards the end of the war experiments were conducted with thinner canvas cloth in helmetliner production. This is a very strange liner and I'm not sure if this is one of those experimental liners, using thinner canvas in more layers. An interesting liner, though! Does the inside have a smooth feel like the regular highpressureliner? Or is less resin used, thus explaining the unusual light colouring of the inside?

I am sure he does, He sells some very nice helmets on ebay and always has pictures of the liner stamp. thumbsup.gif

thats why i said it in the way i did, i dont want to say something to someone i dont know thats in the know, that would sound condescending. cheers for the heads up justin

ITALIANWARFRONT

I check the helmet one more time this morning just in case and no marking at all of any kind on the shell.

I know soldier had custom made uniforms and hats, could this be a custom made helmet?

The material appears to be some kind of fabric pressed with some kind of glue .

Any idea on the yellow writing on the outside.

Giorgio

post-2250-1217958954.jpg

ITALIANWARFRONT
I check the helmet one more time this morning just in case and no marking at all of any kind on the shell.

I know soldier had custom made uniforms and hats, could this be a custom made helmet?

The material appears to be some kind of fabric pressed with some kind of glue .

Any idea on the yellow writing on the outside.

Giorgio

Just one other thought, could this be an early attempt of experimental ballistic material like the kevlar helmets?

ermm.gif

• 14 years later...

For future reference, this may be a Doron Type I helmet liner. It was described as appearing like layers of white fabric made of spun-glass and cotton. However, the sources I have say that the suspension was removable for Doron liners and helmets. Doron was tested by the Army and Marine Corps.