M7 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage

MT247

Hey thought I would show a couple pictures. This tank has been at our local fairground for a long time and I never really looked closely at it until now. Pictures aren't great but thought it was pretty interesting.

post-157549-14372834211997.jpgpost-157549-14372834298839.jpgpost-157549-14372834562988.jpg

The Meatcan

Is that Kalispell? I remember a Priest sitting outside on display there in the late 1980s. Very cool and quite accessible.

Terry

Cool pictures. Restored a 76mm anti tank gun years ago. The barrel had 60 years of garbage stuffed into it. Rocks, soda cans, bottles, you name it. I can see the Transmission area on this one is used the same way. :(

Is the M2A1 just the gun, sorry don't know a lot about them. It's in Helena and yes people don't respect stuff like they should. I think it's missing a lot of stuff but still cool. Thanks

phantomfixer

I think it is great it is not locked up in a cage...nice for the locals to climb aboard...and learn and have fun!

It's pretty neat to climb in but it does draw the vandals scratching names and throwing trash. Now just need to fire her up and take a spin.

Indeed, the M2A1 refers to its gun.

You can see the "105 MM" before it.

The vehicle itself is called M7 "Priest".

Among others, (armored) field artillery battalions used it.

Erwin

PS: Could someone correct the title of the topic, please? Thanks.

The vehicle itself is called M7 "Priest".

That's actually a conflation of two different designations for it. The US designation is M7 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage, and the British/Commonwealth designation is 105mm Self-Propelled Gun "Priest". The US never called them Priests and the Brits never used the term M7, at least during WWII.

This particular one is actually an M7B1, built on the chassis of the M4A3 Medium Tank with it's Ford GAA V-8 engine. The M7 was built on the M3/M4 Medium Tank chassis with the Continental R-975 radial engine. This is actually a rather rare vehicle since most of these were rebuilt as M7B2's in the 1950's with a raised gun mount and MG pulpit.

Wow a lot great info. Thanks B229 for looking into this. I will have to look at this a little different when I go there again.

Well, I had it called "Priest" by American Veterans as well, one being the CO of the 3rd Armored Field Artillery Battalion.

This was in yearlong correspondence with them.

Maybe they took this designation over from the British.

I think they had some canvas cover for that pulpit.

Or at least some ingenious GI made one for it in the field.

Erwin