15th Air Force B-17 Navigator Grouping, part 2

MattS

I had picked up some items from this local vet's estate in 2013, and I got a call yesterday from the original seller that some more items had been found. He described them as "a hat and some shirts and ties". I thought it was worth a look. I'm REALLY glad I made the drive over there tonight! Here's the hats.

post-32676-0-05520700-1437185439.jpg

post-32676-0-52550700-1437185469.jpg

The shirts and ties with a neat surprise on one of them, a pair of bullion navigator's wings!

post-32676-0-55042300-1437185560.jpg

The other visor cap, shirts, flight helmet, and suitcase I picked up previously. This man was shot down in 1944 over Romania and was captured.

post-32676-0-05564200-1437185673.jpg

Nice Bancroft Flighter. Of the small collection of hats that I have the Bancroft is by far my favorite. Classic "12 o'clock High" hat.

Thanks, and I agree! It was a very pleasant surprise to flip it over and see the Flighter logo inside. It is in excellent shape!

post-32676-0-08791700-1437185969.jpg

Thanks for sharing, The Bancroft flighter logo is always a good surprise! The bullion wings are nice as well.

carbinephalen

That's really incredible that the estate kept your contact information from that long! That has to be a record of some kind.

That's really incredible that the estate kept your contact information from that long! That has to be a record of some kind.

Sometimes business cards really pay off, he had kept one of mine all that time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the shirt with the wings and I can see where the AAF patch was removed. As the rest of his shirts have felt patches on them, I'd guess this one probably did too. I'm thinking of putting an original felt patch on there to restore it, and I will put a slip of paper in the pocket to note that I did. Thoughts?

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...