Toy Jeep Collection

Ronnie

Today I would like to add my little Schuco Jeep & trailer to our collection. Scale of this solid metal Jeep is 1:90. Notice that the windows are pantied. The only non-metal parts of these "Schuco Picolo" vehicles are the rubber tires.

Schuco1.jpg

Schuco2.jpg

The whole combo within it's blister:

Schuco3.jpg

If you want to learn more about Schuco cars, which have been manufactured since 1912, follow this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuco_Modell

Great thread! I never realized there was so much variety out there. About 10 years ago Johnny Lightning sold an assortment of WWII Army & WWII Navy vehicles. I bought a few of the jeeps (but I have no idea where they are now) out of curiosity. The Navy vehicles were marked up for Pearl Harbor, although there is no way an MB or GPW was present during the attack (barring movies of course).

Cobra 6 Actual

Ronnie, thanks for starting this thread. And, thanks all of y'all who posted your Jeep photos, too (RustyCanteen, Kat, Proud Kraut, Earlymb, Old Marine). Very cool stuff. I'm going to have to dig the couple I have out and post a few photos. Thanks, again!

Thanks Cobra and everybody.

Rusty Canteen, the MB or GPW wouldn't have been at Pearl Harbor but the MA, the Ford GP, and the Bantam were probably there. The early jeeps had been sent out for testing. They were everywhere.

Thanks for your post.

Ronnie

Actually, the Willys MB entered production in November 1941 so in theory it could have been there, Ours was delivered on January 8th 1942, a mid-production 'slat grill'.

Here are some pics of my toy/model jeeps. Apologies for the poor quality of the pics of the showcase, there are some big items in front of it at the moment and I can't reach it now.

post-80-0-53162100-1445199215.jpgpost-80-0-56749900-1445199216.jpgpost-80-0-46929800-1445199217.jpg

Models depicted here are the more commonly encountered ones, made by Dinky Toys, Cararama, Solido and the like. The big blue one on the right is a rare variant though, marked out as 'Rijkspolitie' (National Police in Dutch). If I remember correctly it's made by Solido. Another variant is a fire jeep.

Moving on to the more interesting models. These are my 3 Arnold jeeps; a few others from the same maker were already posted here. Made between 1949 and 1958 by the German toy maker ARNOLD, these are of superb quality and probably the nicest of the early models made. There are quite a few versions in livery, drive mechanism and production era. The 002500-type marked with 'Military Police' is the most common. My father has about 5 Arnold jeeps, including 2 of the extremely rare civilan versions. I'll make some pics of those next time I visit him.

post-80-0-75746700-1445199950.jpg

This model is a lot simpler than the Arnold but extremely rare, certainly in this good condition. It is a simple toy with no drive mechanism, made in The Netherlands by Philips (the electronics manufacturer) in the immediate post-war years. The only other one I ever saw is in my dad's collection.

post-80-0-40891700-1445200135.jpg

post-80-0-49045600-1445200136.jpg

The last one for now, this crude toy was made in The Netherlands by an unknown manufacturer immediately post-war. It is made of casted aluminium, the only metal more or less readily available at the time from all the crashed aircraft that were being recovered and scrapped by then. Only one of the 3 I own still has the original paint; I made the the windshield frames and hood bows myself from a clotheshanger. Although these seem to pop up from time to time they are still very rare, especially with the spare wheel and jerrycan still present.

post-80-0-35200800-1445200373.jpgpost-80-0-46459300-1445200374.jpg

Some more pics:

post-80-0-13504000-1445200793.jpgpost-80-0-21087300-1445200794.jpg

If anyone has any questions about these models, just ask! My father has an excellent collection of jeep models too, most of them quite old. There were a number of very nice models being produced in France too in the immediate post-war years and he has a few nice examples in his collection.

OK, this is a little different: it's a Jeep made by Guillermo Forchino, an Italian 'comic artist'. This is about 12" X 6":

That really isn't a jeep but a Command Car. It's very nice. What is it made of?

Ronnie

Cobra 6 Actual

That really isn't a jeep but a Command Car. It's very nice. What is it made of?

Ronnie

Sorry, Ronnie, my mistake ... I was in a hurry and took a photo of the wrong vehicle. But, they are all made of poly-resin. I'll take a photo of the jeep one later today when I get home and post it. Meanwhile here's a better view of the back of the command car.

post-159798-0-14782000-1445253918.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Those are hilarious!!!!!...........mike

Thanks, Mike. All of his figures and vehicles come with a story. For the command car the driver is lost, the GPS is broken, etc. For the Jeep the guys onboard must go behind enemy lines to rescue the General's parrot.

Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra where can I buy these?

Thanks.

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie --

Try searching for "Comic Art of Guillermo Forchino". However, I believe that the command car and the Jeep are both retired and out of current production. But, they do appear on occasion on eBay, so you should be able to buy one if you bookmark your search.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Regards,

Joe

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks Joe. I found one and have already ordered it. Looking forward to adding it to my collection.

Regards.

Ronnie

Good on you, Ronnie ... I have to warn you though that these things are sort of addictive, especially for those of us with that "extra collecting chromosome".

Regards,

Joe

Cobra 6 Actual

Ha Cobra I know what you mean....already started saving for the jeep! Thanks for the heads up on these!

I'll post a picture or two when I get it.

Ronnie.

I look forward to seeing it added to your collection, Ronnie. I now have the jeep, the command car, the police car, and the fire truck. Been thinking about adding the ambulance, too ... see, addictive!

Regards,

Joe

Cobra 6 Actual

Now that is different!

It's surprisingly compact, too, since the stem rotates around. Honestly, I'm a sucker for both jeep items and carved wooden things (plus I occasionlly smoke a cigar or a pipe).

Different view:

post-159798-0-42634600-1445552229.jpeg