Bill Brooks Cap

Ronnie

My buddy Bill Brooks gave me this hat many years ago. He camo'd the cap himself, had the in country jump wings added and his name tape on the back. I also got a couple of photos of him wearing this hat in Vietnam. He was in the 82nd at that time.

I'm trying to get the hang of this photo deal so please bare with me.

post-7752-0-59094200-1437112665.jpg

Good ole Bill!! I set up right next to him at a couple of shows for going on 20+ years. Great guy!

Twenty years....that's about how long I"ve had his cap.

You're right Chief Bill is a good ole guy!

Ronnie

That is my old cap for sure, forgot where it got to. In Summer 1963 the 82nd Abn.Div. started a "Raider School" at Fort Bragg; in reaction to the 101st Recondo School at Ft. Campbell. I did not go to the "Raider School." The name was latter changed to the 82nd Airborne Recon School. Attendees of the "Raider School" boot dyed their field caps. Everyone saw them walking around division area and thought that was real cool & gung-ho, so we all started to do. In Army typical fashion, the high-ups didn't like it and declared it unauthorized. However, we got away with wearing them in the field. So we all went to Main Post QM Exchange and bought a second field cap. One for the \Mickey Mouse inspections and the camo one for the filed.

There is picture in an old Soldier of Fortune magazine of Captain Larry Dring's RTO wearing a boot dyed regulation OD baseball cap.

My unit, B Btry, 320th Arty played flag football with the Raider School in the fire break between barracks. The Raiders had also boot dyed their OG-107 trousers and shirts. Don' t think the "experts" would go for that if you produced a pair of them at any show. That was 1963. In 1980 I graduated from the XVIII Airborne Corps Recondo School as a member of the North Carolina Army National Guard, which had a Ranger company and required all members to go to the school. I was the oldest graduate every, 35 years old. I think I was number six in the class. Now i am 71 and can't walk up a flight of stairs. The golden years suck. ALL THE WAY AIRBORNE and A MOI' LA LEGION!

Bill your cap occupies a place of honor in my office. Proud.....very proud to own it. How bout a pair of the boot dyed OG-107's???

I guess you saw above that Gil said to tell you hi......I told him I would so hi from Gil. Sorry I missed coming to Huntsville but will see you at Franklin. Take care.

Ronnie

See you there Ronnie, and hello Gil....we may all die at one of the shows. Slumped over our tables covered with militaria ttreasures with no way to get them to the cemetery...Atlanta Military Show was good yesterday....you may think about coming to the fall show.

Thanks be to God......

BILL

Bill I've been thinking about coming back to the Atlanta Show. I will give it some strong thought for the fall show.

Take care.

Ronnie

See you there Ronnie, and hello Gil....we may all die at one of the shows. Slumped over our tables covered with militaria ttreasures with no way to get them to the cemetery...Atlanta Military Show was good yesterday....you may think about coming to the fall show.

Thanks be to God......

BILL

Hi Bill...glad to see you on the forum. Robert