1963/64 Early Vietnam USMC Camo Flight Suit & Uniform Grouping

Longbranch

Hello Everyone,

Just a few quick snaps of a recent direct-from-the-family's-estate grouping. These items belonged to to a Staff Sgt. who was in South Vietnam sometime around 1963 or 1964. This vet joined the Marines in late 1946, and was actually looking to retire when he was killed in a car accident in California in 1965. It seems that for most of his career, his MOS was listed as "cook", however I don't have much information pertaining to his service in Vietnam (his niece told me he was a mechanic, however, I have not yet verified this). I'm fairly certain he served with one of the helicopter squadrons that operated in Vietnam during Operation Shufly. Anyway, he brought back some interesting items:

- USMC/USN issue Beo Gam pattern flight suit (Takashimaya Co. Ltd. contract)

- USMC/USN issue khaki flight suit (well used, leg cuff zippers removed, laundry number in collar matches vet)

- Matching early contract (black 13-star metal buttons) Beo Gam pattern jacket & pants (red/white size tags nearly completely gone)

- Set of black Vietnamese "pajamas" (includes shirt and pants)

- Large black w/ white stripes thin cotton blanket/ground cover that came with PJs (fabric weave is fairly coarse)

The khaki flight suit is neat, as it appears to have been recycled and repaired a few times, the leg and arms have been shortened and cuff zippers moved, and eventually the leg cuff zippers were taken off. It also appears to have a Vietnamese name of one of the prior users written below the spec tag. Haven't been able to find much out about the PJs, as there aren't many legit examples I've seen online to use for comparison. Anyway, just thought it was a cool little uniform grouping. Looking back, I should have picked up the orange flight suit as well, which would have given me a nice set of early 1960s USMC/USN flight suits, but I'm still super satisfied with what I picked up.

post-11320-0-71669800-1437012878.jpg

Thats a great find.

Everything is really really good.

Did you get photos of the vet also or paperwork ?

Can you go back ?

Congrats

owen

Thanks for the comments!

Owen:

There were no photos or paperwork available. All of this was in the estate of his brother-in-law, and this appears to be all that was there (other than a few small items and the orange flight suit I referenced).I appears that most of the personal items (metals, photos, paperwork) have been scattered during the 50 years since this veteran died. I did find a set of his ribbons, but no other items were available. I spoke with the family member that was present at the sale, and she gave me his name and as much information as she knew. It would have been great to get some more documentation for this grouping, but alas, it doesn't always happen.

63 Recon:

I believe you are referencing the black shirt posted above? This is a comment garment worn by the locals in Vietnam, and isn't specific to any particular group. They were worn by a LOT of the people in Vietnam though they are commonly linked to the Viet-Cong, but it could have just as likely been worn by a South Vietnamese farmer.

cool,

sorry i meant the folded garment to the left of the pants in the first pic.

That item is a large blanket/sheet/groundcover, and appears to be made of thin coarse-weave cotton fabric. I'm not certain what it was used for, and I'm still in the process of researching this item.

The leopard cammo 2 piece suit is first pattern.

Its a matched set.

I my opinion VERY rare in this print fade.

A true USMC museum worthy set.

I would love to include this grouping in my upcoming Nam Cammo 2 volume book.

Is this something you would be intrested in sharing?

owen

thefallenbuddha

Great items!

I like the Takashimaya label. I was just in one of their department stores today!

Owen (or anyone else who knows),

Who else used this style camo set? Was it exclusively USMC? I believe that the flight suit was USMC only, but don't know about the Leopard camo two piece suit.

Thanks,

John

The leopard cammo 2 piece suit is first pattern.

Its a matched set.

I my opinion VERY rare in this print fade.

A true USMC museum worthy set.

I would love to include this grouping in my upcoming Nam Cammo 2 volume book.

Is this something you would be intrested in sharing?

owen

• 4 weeks later...

The 2 piece suit is typical 1st issue to USSF type personal.

It would be great to hear how he got it.

That said some early USMC advisors got some of the suits also.

owen