Marine?

Banjo

I've never seen that unit symbol. The only skull authorized by the USMC is the Raiders patch, and Recon has adopted it as they see themselves as descendants of the Raiders, though in actuality they're not. Recon isn't a commando unit, it's a reconaissance unit

I have seen a skull and crossed sabers being used by a PSD team here in Iraq, contractors, I think maybe Blackwater

Greg Robinson
I've never seen that unit symbol. The only skull authorized by the USMC is the Raiders patch, and Recon has adopted it as they see themselves as descendants of the Raiders, though in actuality they're not. Recon isn't a commando unit, it's a reconaissance unit

I have seen a skull and crossed sabers being used by a PSD team here in Iraq, contractors, I think maybe Blackwater

Maybe they're not supposed to be a commando unit but in the late 1960's that's how they saw themselves. I remember seeing them train at Camp LeJeune and Camp Pendleton in those days and they had a "raider" appearance and a lot of them had a "badass" attitude. :D

I think this is Marine. If you know please let me know.

I think it is from an Army cavalry unit, maybe armored. It has the crossed sabres and the shape matches what some cav unitS have used:

6thCavBde.jpg

3rd_Recon_Flag_1.JPGCan't relate this insignia to the USMC. Also I agree with Marine-Kabar that Recon Marines are bad-xxx troops. Whether they have direct lineage to the Raider Bns of WW2 is dealing in semantics. Here's a pic of a Recon Co Cdrs Guidon from Charlie 3rd Recon 1962/63 when they were on Okinawa and the Bn Cdr was MOH recipient Bill Barber. The owner of this flag went on to command the 5th Recon Bn at Camp Pendleton and the 1st Recon Bn in Vietnam in 1967.

3rd_Recon_Flag_1.JPG

Im leaning toward a CAV unit,D Troop.Just a thought as the letter D is shown above skull.But not the normal color sheme for a Cav pennant.

Greg Robinson
post-503-1170724830.jpgCan't relate this insignia to the USMC. Also I agree with Marine-Kabar that Recon Marines are bad-xxx troops. Whether they have direct lineage to the Raider Bns of WW2 is dealing in semantics. Here's a pic of a Recon Co Cdrs Guidon from Charlie 3rd Recon 1962/63 when they were on Okinawa and the Bn Cdr was MOH recipient Bill Barber. The owner of this flag went on to command the 5th Recon Bn at Camp Pendleton and the 1st Recon Bn in Vietnam in 1967.

Yep!! I won't compare them to the Marine Raiders of WW2 but I can say they were mighty impressive in 1967-1968.

Greg

not saying they aren't good...just not my cup of tea. I don't like missions where if you're seen you fail. I like to make contact and kill em all

• 3 weeks later...

Brig, Amen to that!

I couldn't hack recon because I don't have gills, and I knew exactly what SCUBA school was like from those who'd been there. I was a 1stClass swimmer, but I didn't like the idea of being 'drown proofed' (you know what I mean), so I decided it wasn't for me.

Did get Airborne school out of it tho :) So it wasn't a total loss....

• 1 month later...
Guest darrwess
I think this is Marine. If you know please let me know.

This is a flag made for a member of the 3rd of the 6th Cavalry Brigade which is an Apache Attack Helicopter unit stationed at Camp Humphreys, South Korea. Locally made flags of this type used to be called "Hootch Flags" back in the day (1960s-70s). The D may refer to the new AH-64D Longbow helicopters that began replacing the AH-64A in 2003, or it may be a Company letter.