Iwo Jima bringbacks

mvmhm

I just posted a group in the Recent Find section to a Captain who served in the 457th Fighter Squadron on Iwo Jima. His daughter said "his helmet" was in the box too...I was hoping it wasn't "his" helmet, and the collecting Gods didn't disappoint! He also sent home two rice bowls...so here they are:

post-3423-0-48685600-1436985060.jpg

post-3423-0-57664000-1436985160.jpg

...and the markings in the cover and the helmet....I was very happy to see the star was still intact on the cover too....luckily, Iwo Jima was the only place he ever went, so there's no doubt where it came from!

post-3423-0-74486700-1436985275.jpg

post-3423-0-72501100-1436985282.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

:o:o:o Holy smokes, what a find! You cant get much better than that!! The rice bowls are interesting, I have never seen something like that before.

Haydn

Getting a rare piece in collecting is cool, but their is nothing like finding something with this much history! Great find!

Raidercollector

Super awesome find,And I agree,You can't get any better than that,A i deed Japanese helmet from Iwo.

Nick

Kurt Barickman

Very nice, that is the only way I collect Japanese items will all the veteran documentation and you scored a home run with that helmet and the tag. Also, really like the Army marked rice bowls. Thanks for sharing with us and congrats!

Kurt

I'm hoping some more things will surface as she continues to clean the garage, although that helmet would be hard to top, unless she comes in with Kuribayashi's sword!

Mark sends

• 2 weeks later...
suwanneetrader

I hope it is OK to add some items. This rubberized Japanese ration bag with Japanese personal items contents are all my Dad got to bring home (except his Ka-Bar), other things were taken A Japanese sword when boarding ship at Guam after Iwo to return to the states and two disassembled guns when disembarking Hospital ship in California. Richard

post-15934-0-21104200-1437876742.jpg

suwanneetrader

I hope it is OK to add some items. This rubberized Japanese ration bag with Japanese personal items contents are all my Dad got to bring home (except his Ka-Bar), other things were taken A Japanese sword when boarding ship at Guam after Iwo to return to the states and two disassembled guns when disembarking Hospital ship in California. Richard

attachicon.gifDad's bring home WWII.1.JPG

Just to clarify: He made the aluminum bracelets during 2nd stay on Guam and Jerry Price gave me the Guam and Iwo Jima vials of sand he collected years ago. Dad used clothes pin with name for laundry. Richard

suwanneetrader

The value in those items to me would be that they're from Dad!

Mark sends

You are correct. I'm lucky to have anything to pass on in the family as many have no bring backs. Richard