PBY destroyed while making USS Indianapolis movie

Waltz41

Saw this on a warbird forum, and popping up here and there on the internet. Lots of thoughts and also 'theories' of what went wrong and what led to this unfortunate debacle. On the flip side, they are making a movie of the USS Indaianapolis called Men of Honor....however, Nick Cage is the lead lol.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/catalina-destroyed-florida.html

yeah....lots of talk first WHY it got stuck in the water and 'beached' in the first place...then a lot of conversation about the salvage attempt and how they took it out of the water. Ashame really, seeing something like this happen....but the one good thing is no one was hurt.

Government Issue

but the one good thing is no one was hurt.

Except my expectations, now that I know NICK CAGE will be in the film. :dry: Oh boy...

This plane was restored locally here in Puyallup Wa.. Went to see it on Fathers Day and heard about the movie. What a shame!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My Dad used to tell us about volunteering to be a spotter flying in a PBY searching for Eddie Rickenbacker. He said that sitting in one of the side bubbles looking out on the ocean was one of his more enjoyable memories of the war.

That's sad. I hope they can rebuild it. PBYs look like planes designed by a committee. They are so (please excuse me) ugly they're beautiful.

Nicholas Cage is in the movie. Great. I think I will just reread my books about it instead.

I couldn't take him in Windtalkers when it came out... He stunk so bad in that movie that I had to shut off the DVD player and turn the thing back in.

To this day I never have seen the last 3/4 of it.

And yeah, too bad about the PBY.

manayunkman

I'll see the movie to honor the loss of the PBY.

I kind of like Nick Cage.

Ever see Match Stick Men ?