Marked Medical Helmets Of All Eras

Bugme

Here's a named fixed bail officers M1 with medical insignia. This officer was also a Pearl Harbor survivor. Sorry Ron, this one came from Iowa.

post-3239-1221060745.jpg

I bought this 2 panel swivel bail medic at a local antique shop about 20 years ago. My "newlywed" wife knew right then and there I was crazy as I almost crashed the car when I saw it in the store window while driving down the street.

post-3239-1221061006.jpg

post-3239-1221061031.jpg

I've had this helmet for a little while and have always debated whether or not it was medic related (fixed bail, repainted). What do you think? The circle is pretty small and only on the rear. Liner is late war Firestone with 2nd Lt markings.

post-1095-1221170303.jpg

post-1095-1221170312.jpg

post-1095-1221170319.jpg

I've posted this helmet elsewhere on the forum but feel it's worth posting here. Joseph Henry Jamme came up as replacement during the fighting at Belleau Wood and earned the first of two Silver Star Citations, C d'G and Purple Hearts there.

post-8-1221750520.jpg

post-8-1221750530.jpg

Beautiful Pharmacists Mate lid! Very nicely ID'd with name, rank, company, regiment and crossover designations of U.S.N. and U.S.M.C. twothumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have been going to get the camera out and take pix of this one for several weeks, and now is the time. I have had it for 30 years and I think it is righteous. It was one of 100 surplus helmets originally bought by a dealer from Indiana, PA and sold at an Ohio gun show. (Does anyone else remember Doug Duer of S&D Bookstore/)

If you think you have seen it before, you probably have -- in Chris Armold's "Painted Steel."

G

IMG_0137__Small_.JPG

IMG_0138__Small_.JPG

IMG_0139__Small_.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

here is mine--- bought of a guy i was friends with at the time. no name but has a partial sn on the chin strap. as i got it and beleive it is a good one. had it since the mid 80's.

post-73-1232226029.jpg

post-73-1232226060.jpg

post-73-1232226106.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm cross posting this one because it fits two categories, WWI helmets and medical. Here's my latest. Beautifully preserved 101st Sanitary Train / 103rd field Hospital ID'd to Pvt. William K. Thompson

101st_Sanitation_Train_001.jpg

Very Cool ST helmet. I love named M1917's! Noticed a few 101 ST helmets hit the market lately, but always to late. Congrats on a very nice helmet!

Very Cool ST helmet. I love named M1917's! Noticed a few 101 ST helmets hit the market lately, but always to late. Congrats on a very nice helmet!

Yeah, I hit this one on Bay State Militaria shortly after Scott did his Wednesday update last week. I missed a similar one there about two weeks ago. When you hold this one in your hands, you know it's old however, the paint is still vibrant. This almost caused me to pass on this one because I wasn't certain it was legit when I originally saw the pictures and even requested more close up pictures. The close ups sealed it for me. I'm glad I took the risk! I would have to agree though, there does seem to be a few more of these popping up recently than one would expect. think.gif

The paint being vibrant used to be a stop all for me..but as I have been around more painted 100% legit and Identified 1917's over the last few years I do not take that into account if everything else matches up...for instance the same collection in which I found the 3rd armored..was a M1917 82nd division camo..it looked like it was painted yesterday...but it was found in a truck with the guys uniform and other items from his service. Some types of paint just holds up better then others then of course there is the storage. I am sure many good painted helmets have been looked over because of that. I know I would have never bought the 82nd helmet, until I saw the grouping..now I cannot get it out of my mind!LOL

Wade

• 5 months later...
The paint being vibrant used to be a stop all for me..but as I have been around more painted 100% legit and Identified 1917's over the last few years I do not take that into account if everything else matches up...for instance the same collection in which I found the 3rd armored..was a M1917 82nd division camo..it looked like it was painted yesterday...but it was found in a truck with the guys uniform and other items from his service. Some types of paint just holds up better then others then of course there is the storage. I am sure many good painted helmets have been looked over because of that. I know I would have never bought the 82nd helmet, until I saw the grouping..now I cannot get it out of my mind!LOL

Wade

We, as collectors, have arrived at the place that unless the helmet is nearly relic, we're afraid to touch it. I'm afraid that in the process, some very nice legitimate helmets get passed on because they are "too" nice. This is where experience, study and research will come into play more than ever.