Marked Medical Helmets Of All Eras

Bugme

Although I just posted this helmet in a separate thread, I thought it ought to be added on to this one as well. In its first life, this helmet belonged to a medic and was later issued to a 12th Air Force engineer after being partially repainted. Luckily, the red cross is discern-able and it really makes for a special piece. I only wish the helmet carried with it some info of the first owner.

Beau

post-88-1218166618.jpg

Here is what I believe is a postwar Army or Navy field hospital or ship helmet. As you can see it hasn't been messed with or overpainted.

David

3754605-ebay33_032.jpg

I've shown this before, not so exciting but the history is! thumbsup.gif

Edsel B. Ellington, Virginia. Private First Class, 307th Airborne Medical Company, 82nd Airborne Division, enlisted in 1940 at the age of 20.

His medals: Bronze Star medal, Good Conduct medal, American Defense Service medal, American Campaign medal, Belgium Fourragère medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign medal with 4 bronze service stars and arrowhead w00t.gif , WWII Victory medal, WWII service lapel button, Medical Badge, Glider badge, Parachutists Badge.

post-771-1218238551.jpg

OK, I am pretty sure that I have broken that commandment of "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's helmet"! What a great thread!

Here is my only medic marked helmet, a Vietnam Era nurse's swivel bail. The liner is marked "LT J. Ashton, WAC-N".

post-203-1218250437.jpg

post-203-1218250449.jpg

post-203-1218250471.jpg

This "wide diversity" is exaclty what makes collecting medic helmets so rewarding. No two are ever exactly alike. Medic helmet insignia was not standardized by teh US Army ntil 1946. Until that point, it was up to each individual Medical Company to determine how their posts would be marked. This explains why you'll find anywhere from 1 to 5 Geneva crosses painted on medic helmets, and some wil have the medics entire ASN painted on the top as well. Some will be neatly stencilled, while others are obviously haphazardly applied with whatever paint was available and a large brush. Some are very neatly done, while others will look like they were done by 4 year old! (Those are actually my personal favorites) I never tire of looking at medic lids.............

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of mine. Schuelter fixed bail, found in Europe. No liner, no shin straps. Lt bar is welded. Authenticity ?...

Pic one

post-647-1219684215.jpg

Inside view (front where the Lt bar is welded)

post-647-1219684459.jpg

What to you think about it's authenticity ? With a loop everything seems OK but who knows.

Very nice helmet! I'd say it looks pretty good sgtbarnes. I don't see any of the tell-tale signs of a reproduction on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bugme,

Well I have a question about de PTO helmet with the white "ball"on the back. How did you found out it's a army medic helmet? I have a helmet with exact the same markings on the back of the helmet and liner, i will post pictures of it later.

Christian

Photographic evidence says it all. These pictures were taken early in the PTO during WWII. Later, the front white circle was removed because Japanese snipers would single out the medics. The circle on the back was retained for identification by our troops.

USN_Corpsman.jpg

USN_Corpsman_1.jpg

Here's a fixed bail M1C with a single medic insignia overpainted on the front. The early rigger modified Westy liner came seperately and was bought out of surplus years ago for next to nothing.

post-3239-1221055849.jpg

post-3239-1221055898.jpg

Here's a three panel fixed bail that was overpainted and a matching 3 panel Seaman liner with a 2nd Div decal to the front. This was "liberated" from a unit storage locker in Germany in the late 1960's by a collector friend of mine that was stationed there at the time.

post-3239-1221059348.jpg

post-3239-1221059369.jpg