VN 1st Log Command Uniform Group

Mr-X

An eBay pick up.

Very nice condition poplin jungle fatigues and a M-1951 coat.

All patches on the jungle fatigues are subdue in-country made. PFCs are felt.

All items Med-Reg.

PFC KANE.

First jungle fatigue

uniforms253.jpg

• 1 month later...
Nice set, Leigh. The Log is too often overlooked by VN collectors.

A correct comment. When I sold off my collection years ago, I had certain "hard core" collectors ask me why I had even bothered to collect 1st Log uniforms.

I served 9 years in the Army as an ordance and logistics officer. Without the logistics operations, the troops in the field would not have food, ammunition, clothing or fuel.

I am not sure many people stop and think of what it took to keep hundreds of thousands of troops supplied in a country that was literally on the opposite side of the world.

And it was not a safe "rear echelon" job either. At Ft. Lee there is a memorial to the losses of the 1st Log Command.

I think it is best summed up by a comment made years lated in Germany by the 8th ID Division Support Commander to his combat arms brethern: "You can go to war, but you won't get very far without us." (Col. Thomas Arwood)

So good for you Leigh in having this in your collection.

And it was not a safe "rear echelon" job either. At Ft. Lee there is a memorial to the losses of the 1st Log Command.

I think it is best summed up by a comment made years lated in Germany by the 8th ID Division Support Commander to his combat arms brethern: "You can go to war, but you won't get very far without us." (Col. Thomas Arwood)

Gil - The 1st Logistics Command Memorial was rededicated several years back as the memorial for all Logistics soldiers. I've been to many a ceremony there over the years.

You might be interested to know that they moved the Log Memorial this year to accommodate the new Sustainment Center of Excellence building. It's in the opposite corner of what used to be Sgt Seay parade field, Seay by the was a Truck Driver who earned the Medal of Honor while serving in 1st Log Command.

I used to work in the Quartermaster School (Mifflin Hall) just across from the memorial. There is a corridor there dedicated to logistics soldiers who died in Vietnam. There are hundreds of brass plaques memorializing log soldiers, several of which earned the Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star and Bronze Star with V-Device.

Thanks Kevin.

To be honest, the significance of the memorial did not sink into me the first time I saw it. It was only later that I realized the casualites that were incurred.

I was in the Army in the late 1970's, and a lot of our NCO's were Vietnam Vets. I worked at the III Corps Support Center at Ft. Hood at what was then part of 13th COSCOM. Geez, the stories some of these guys told had to be some of the funniest ones to come out of the Vietnam war.

I had one E-6 who had served at a "Can Point" or vehicle recovery yard in Vietnam. He said they bad guys never attacked because who in their right mind attacks a yard full of destroyed vehicles. He told me that every PFC on up had their own personal vehicle, not because they were issued it, but because they built them from recovered parts. He recalled that the two nearby Infantry posts were constantly getting harrassed, and when it got serious, they all saddled up and headed out the gate. You can imagine the impact of 20 or more vehicles suddenly appearing over the horizen. Now the fact that they only had one person in each of them did not matter... it was enough to make the enemy think that a major group of reinforcements was on its way!

There was No "Rear Echelon" in the Vietnam War > the "VC" were everywhere; just waiting for a chance to kill You!

Substitute Iraq/Afghanistan for Vietnam and Insurgents for VC and you have the contemporary operating environment.

Very nice uniforms, guys! thumbsup.gif

An old friend of my dad's was an aide to the CG of the 1st Log around 1970-71, so these uniforms are particularly interesting to me. Thanks for posting them.

If anyone tells you that collecting 1st Log Command uniforms is not interesting, tell them to think again...

OG-107 fatigue shirt of Major Gen. Lollis, commander of 1st Log in June 1967.

Note the name and rank are directly embroidered, although one in black and the other in color! Underneath the name there are signs of a previous name tape.

This uniform was still heavily starched with the sleeves perfectly rolled and ready for wear.

"General Lollis commanded Army logistics in Vietnam in 1967 during a massive troop buildup there. He also was commander from 1967 until retiring in 1971 of the Army's tank and military vehicle depot in Warren, Michigan.

While in Vietnam, General Lollis took direct control of troubled depots to ensure that the flow of supplies was uninterrupted.

Among his decorations were two awards of the Distinguished Service Medal, two awards of the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star. He also was inducted into the Army Ordnance Hall of Fame in 1994."

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/selollis.htm

1st_Log_Gen_Lollis.JPG

To deviate a little bit, a light weight poplin shirt with theater made insignia for the 5th Transportaton Brigade.

Note the orientation of the Colonel's rank. Reportedly tailors in Thailand struggled with this for their US clients as the rank insignia of Thai officers was sewn matching the bottom edge of the collar.

This shirt was found in one of those "hole in a wall" surplus stores that you might go to once every two years because they NEVER have anything. A search for the matching trousers proved futile. I believe I picked this up for about $10.

Also below a cotton OG-107 shirt for a SP/5. While this would have been a bit warmer, it probably would have stood up very well to the daily working environment.

5th_Trans_Col.JPG

1st_Log_Sp5_OG107.JPG

Another thrift shop find, a 2nd pattern Jungle Fatigue jacket belonging to a Captain of the Engineers. The name and US Army tapes are printed, and the 1st Log patch is local made.

Following that, another 2nd pattern Jungle Fatigue jacket. All of the insignia are local made, including the E-7 stripes.

After finding these, and noting the fully subdued insignia, I was left to wonder if the older, less durable 2nd Pattern poplin fatigues were consigned to rear area troops while ripstop stocks were issued to troops in the field.

1st_Log_Cpt_Sugita.JPG

1st_Log_SSG_Roberson.JPG

And two more..

One of my favorite all time uniforms, another 2nd pattern jacket with a hand embroidered Line Haul RVN tab over his 1st Log patch. As if that assignment were not exciting enough, he also appears to have served in the 18th Engineer Bde. Either one of them could have been quite hazardous. Note the fading of the tab and the name tapes... the local made black dye in the threads did not hold up to washing and wear. Typically these dyes were made from a vegatable base.

Next is Sp/4 Branch's third pattern ripstop jacket. He has a previous tour with USARV, which also had numerous assignments for logistics troops. The 1st Log patch and the US Army both have faded with wear, but actually show signs of having been touched up at some point with a black magic marker. This was a common practice, and cheaper than having new patches sewn on. Note that the name tape is also hand embroidered, but with a better quality thread. I've been told some tailors asked GI's to buy them US made thread at the PX and even gave a discount if they got to keep the rest of the spool.

1st_Log_Line_Haul_RVN.JPG

1st_Log_Sp4_Branch.JPG