Vintage Clothing Shop Find - Ravens FAC LAOS

HBT

I stopped in a local vintage clothing shop and saw this one looker on a hanger. Sold!

It's been a delight researching the vet - shot down twice in Laos, rescued by Air America both times, Purple Hearts, DFC. Notice the removed rank on the shoulders as he was "retired" USAF for this assignment! Still pinching my arm on this one...

post-235-0-26175300-1436764371.jpg

That is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick Great find.Scotty

I stopped by a nearby vintage clothing shop last week and saw this beauty on a hanger. Sold!

Research revealed the vet was shot down twice in Laos and rescued by Air America both times. He received Purple Hearts and a Distinguished Flying Cross.

Notice his rank insignia is removed because he was "retired" from USAF during this FAC assignment.

post-235-0-31099200-1436885456.jpg

You. lucky. B@st@rd! I mean that in a good way too. That patch is alone is worth killing for.

From an online obit I found,

"He served in Vietnam with the U.S. Air Force for two tours as a Forward Air Control 0-1 Bird Dog pilot over Laos with the Ravens group. He was shot down and injured behind enemy lines twice. Air America pilots rescued him each time. He was awarded the Purple Heart and Distinguished Flying Cross. Next he became a flight instructor at Craig AFB. Afterward he briefly trained as a U-2 pilot. When he left the Air Force he flew for Saudia Airlines, then Evergreen Air Freight, and finally retired from United Airlines after flying Boeing 757-767 jets. He served as captain for each airline."

I thought I had posted on here earlier... great find, especially with the color insignia.

I have never seen that patch before. I can only imagine what he went through with over 1,000 missions in that part of the world!

Can't imagine what it took to earn it.

A lot.

My "wing commander" (really didn't have enough people to be considered a real wing) was a Raven.

You'd never suspect, tho. Never wore his blues. Short, bald, great guy tho. He'd come rolling into our office (three young E-4 Sergeants) and hang out, steal our popcorn, shoot the breeze.

I saw his name in the Raven book and thought it might be him. When I saw him in his dress blues with a Silver Star, I knew he was.

Finally asked him when he was in our office (and after we all read the book). He chuckled and walk away when we asked if the stories were true.