Help w/ Early Khaki Uniform Jacket/Trousers

Hello!

First, apologies for the poor photos--they were taken with my cell phone. I was asked by a friend to help identify an early uniform that we were told dates to the SAW-era. As this is my first foray into learning about the many variations of the time, period, I would greatly appreciate help in identifying the model of both the uniform jacket and trousers.

The jacket has Horstmann buttons (missing a couple) and sewn on epaulettes in a ribbed material. These show evidence of having pinned insignia on them at one point. The jacket itself is soiled and dirty but with no structural damage to the material. There are no identifying stamps or marks that I can discern. If I were to take my best guess, the construction of the back seems to resemble that of the 1898 pattern, but it does not have the colored cuffs and collar of the early versions I've seen here on the forum.

The trousers might be a cavalry or officers model, even up to WWI era? They are also cotton. There is an interesting brass "Catch On" catch for securing them at the waist. There are made up with a different material inside and nicely marked with the wearer's name. There is a sewn tag with "Obe Tailoring Co." on it, but there might be more letters.

The photos are below, and these are the best I have at the moment. Any help or direction for research would be greatly appreciated!

post-9214-0-06553800-1436841841.jpg

post-9214-0-30099300-1436841855.jpg

ludwigh1980

Hello, good stuff. Coat is is more associated with Philippine Insurrection 1899-1902. It is an officers coat that had the rank and eagle devices removed from the shoulder strap. This type very well might have been tailored in the Philippines especially with the corduroy shoulder straps. I have a couple documented uniforms to a regular (U.S. Army) that saw service early during the Philippine Insurrection that had corduroy shoulder straps and those coat looked like other domestically (in theater) made uniforms. Trousers appear to date 1917 and thus are WW1. Hope this helps.

Terry

Hello, good stuff. Coat is is more associated with Philippine Insurrection 1899-1902. It is an officers coat that had the rank and eagle devices removed from the shoulder strap. This type very well might have been tailored in the Philippines especially with the corduroy shoulder straps. I have a couple documented uniforms to a regular (U.S. Army) that saw service early during the Philippine Insurrection that had corduroy shoulder straps and those coat looked like other domestically (in theater) made uniforms. Trousers appear to date 1917 and thus are WW1. Hope this helps.

Terry

Good morning Terry,

Thank you very much for the information and your expertise! That jacket had me stumped. I'll pass this information along!

Johannes

Terry

Terry-

Agree with your assessment on this being an Infantry Officer's coat. But what about the enlistedman buttons (i.e., no "I" on the shield)? If the coat was tailor-made in the Philippines, they may have been the only buttons available at the time? Or perhaps later replacements?

Kurt