Why are these Marine uniforms bid so High

Raidercollector

blitzkrieg gsd

Wow what a story now it all makes perfect since to me and I understand why the price was paid. After hearing the story I understand fully why it sold for what it did. I'm very glad you were able to get this uniform to put in your collection your connection to it makes you the perfect owner. You also knew and was a friend to the raider who wore this uniform it's just a perfect ending for this uniform. Can't say enough how glad I am that you ended up being able to put this uniform in your collection. Thank you also for explaining the story on how the uniform got repatched. That was,a question we all were asking when we saw this uniform for sale.

1straidergson

I am glad I could elaborate for my reasons for wanting to purchase the uniform. I never ask Al about his uniform and would never have considered doing so. It seems that many of the Raiders I grew up around died and then it cost me lots of money to own their things. The only thing I had of my grandfathers was his 1st Raider comic book authored by 1st Raider Charles Hedinger. ( I own his uniform as well) I have a strong interest in these books and have 16 or so identified books. My grandfather never had any of his uniforms and they were either lost, destroyed or thrown away by the late 40s. With that said my grandfathers uniforms are long gone and this uniform, knowing it was in the same wall locker, is the closest thing I will find. I will try to restore his decorations and bring it to its original status. It was fairly uncommon for many 1st Raiders to have ever worn a Raider patch. Considering they were in the Pacific for the duration of the BN's existence most did not wear one and would have applied one after their return. It seems to be more common to find 4th Raiders who were mandated to apply it before they shipped out. Thanks for the replies-Semper Fi

Incredible story! I stand corrected and echo others sentiments - best reason to "overypay" there is! A reason like this for bidding on the jacket frankly just never occurred to me. Goes to show, you just never know.

Really interesting to hear that story of the raider patch on this jacket - shows you some of these guys on here know what they are talking about I guess. :)

Great jacket there - hope you will post pics of it when you have it all restored.

Congratulations,

Very best,

Bill K.

1straidersgson Congratulations! in my mind this is what collecting is all about.To preserve this uniform with your personal connection to the original owner and knowledge of it's history makes price w worth it. Well done.

Mark

Garandomatic

I was the winning bidder in the auction. I agree with most that this uniform brought an extremely high price. I have many Raider uniforms however; this uniform had quite more sentimental attachment than most. I am the grandson of an original 1st Raider who served with Co. A 1st Bn 5th Marines in Cuba and then B,D and Hq of the 1st Raiders from their creation on February 16th 1942 until their disbandment in 1944. My grandfather served in every campaign with the 1st Raiders. Just by chance this uniform belonged to Alfred Camlin. I corresponded and spoke with this man for many years until his death. Al was barracks room mates with my grandfather when the 1st Raiders were in Company A barracks at the Crossroads in Quantico before the Raiders movement to the Pacific. Al was a squad leader in 1st Squad Co B on Tulagi, Guadalcanal, and later a platoon Sgt on New Georgia (WIA GSW to the leg). After their return stateside in 1944 Al said he got in to trouble and was sent to a replacement draft. He returned to the Pacific and was assigned to the 1st Marines and participated in the invasion of Okinawa. On Okinawa he was seriously wounded (WIA back/legs). He was returned stateside and had numerous operations. While in the hospital he met his future wife a Naval officer. Before the end of both of their military careers they chose to have a formal military wedding, whereas Al flashed up his uniform. The original Raider patch that was on the uniform was removed and replaced with the Red Felt back and his appropriate rank of GySgt was sewn on. He wanted to look sharp for his wedding. I also know for a fact that Raiders had a tendency and violate Marine Corps regulations to either always keep their Raider patch or replace it when they come home. He was a great man with an impeccable memory and offered a wealth of knowledge to me about my grandfather who died when I was 4. My grandfather left the Marine Corps as a Sgt Major in 1946 and none of his uniforms survived. This uniform would have hung in the same wall locker as my grandfathers in Quantico in 1942. I wish I could have purchased it for less but was willing to pay more. Semper Fi

Right on. I had to pass on a few things (non-militaria) that belonged to my dad's buddy when they had his sale, and I regret it almost daily. Just didn't have the money. Good for you.

Congratulations on getting the uniform! Could you post a photo of your grandfather in his uniform (if any survived)? I have personally always been interested in how many Kentuckians were Raiders. Do you know or have any information you can share? Thanks and so glad the uniform went home to you.

1straidergson

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of my grandfather in his dress uniform. I have photos taken on Guadalcanal and some in New Zealand. Like most 1st Raiders who were there early they did not wear a Patch. My grandfather was not originally from Kentucky but moved here in in the mid 60s. He was from South GA. I could think of 7 or so Raiders who were from Kentucky. I am certain that there were more but I knew personally 7 from the state. Probably the most notarized Raider from Kentucky I knew was Richard Bush who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on Okinawa. Semper Fi

Raidercollector

Also from Kentucky Was Edward Aherns 1st raiders with edison A company BAR Man, Kia on Tulagi was up for the MOH but was down graded to the Navy Cross. Which I have some of his stuff.

Nick

Kurt Barickman

Again, no problem with this uniform and see that it went for a deserved decent price. Why do some think nice documented USMC uniforms are overpriced? Nice documented USMC combat veteran tunics are great collectibles and not everything is about medals; although I have to admit I really like medals as well! Nice NCO combat USMC enlisted tunics are hard to find and even more with the patches. Congrats to the winner of this fantastic tunic!

Kurt

Leatherneck72

It's not overpaying or any other term you want to throw at it if the buyer thinks it is worth it. I have a feeling people are jellyz they couldn't afford it!

blitzkrieg gsd

As many of us have said in the past worth means what a collector is willing to pay for a item at the time. So this uniform was worth the price he paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Corpsman_1941

I saw this one today, And I think there wasn't 1st div patch but white discharge diamond, but how he could wore Raider patch after his death? Note that seller said that he was killed in Sept 1942 but on headstone there is a date Sept 1943, green pants which are also with his initials are dated August 1943. My ideas:

#1- it's fake

#2- it was wore by other Raider who had similar initials

If he was killed in 1942, he wouldn't have worn any SSI, as SSI weren't implemented until after Guadalcanal. In "No Bended Knee", General Twining talks about designing the 1st Mar Div crest on the trip away from the Island

There is no name just initials...no photos of it in where, nothing to solidly associate it with that Marine other than the patch, which couldn't have been worn if he was indeed KIA in 42

Now, it could be another Raider's jacket, but without more than the initials, we'll never know for sure, so the buyer is essentially buying a blouse and a patch

Chutesandskulls

I skimmed through the master Raider roster and I see at least five Raiders with the initials JWC. Without better provenance it's not worth more than the sum of the parts.

Well another Raider uniform just showed up on Ebay Guys, What do you think about this one,HMMMMMMMMM?????? You can see their was another patch sewn on. Maybe 1st Division

http://www.ebay.com...=item3aaee989a5

If you look at what others on the forum have previously said about that seller, I would recommend being VERY cautious about this uniform.

Raidercollector

Corpsman_ 1941 , You are right about the white sleeve diamond, I had the wrong sleeve. HMMMMMMMM..... That bothers me big time.and the date when he was KIA. Why wasn't his jacket put back in circulation ? Or was it?

Nick

Chutesandskulls

Nick,

I've seen a couple of cases although few and far between of KIA uniforms not being reissued. I agree with the discharge diamond probably being there although early on after the Canal campaign the patches were worn on the shoulder until the official MCO on SSI came out. For me there are way too many questions with this jacket for it to be worth more than the sum of the parts.Just my 2 cents.

Jay

American Heritage

Well another Raider uniform just showed up on Ebay Guys, What do you think about this one,HMMMMMMMMM?????? You can see their was another patch sewn on. Maybe 1st Division

http://www.ebay.com...=item3aaee989a5

looks totally fabricated IMO and the timing is suspect, but that is my opinion. That seller is notorious for doing that sort of thing - 9thaausmc

American Heritage

I am glad I could elaborate for my reasons for wanting to purchase the uniform. I never ask Al about his uniform and would never have considered doing so. It seems that many of the Raiders I grew up around died and then it cost me lots of money to own their things. The only thing I had of my grandfathers was his 1st Raider comic book authored by 1st Raider Charles Hedinger. ( I own his uniform as well) I have a strong interest in these books and have 16 or so identified books. My grandfather never had any of his uniforms and they were either lost, destroyed or thrown away by the late 40s. With that said my grandfathers uniforms are long gone and this uniform, knowing it was in the same wall locker, is the closest thing I will find. I will try to restore his decorations and bring it to its original status. It was fairly uncommon for many 1st Raiders to have ever worn a Raider patch. Considering they were in the Pacific for the duration of the BN's existence most did not wear one and would have applied one after their return. It seems to be more common to find 4th Raiders who were mandated to apply it before they shipped out. Thanks for the replies-Semper Fi

these things just end up where they are supposed to be. glad you won the uniform. I located this bio (if you do not already have it) of this highly decorated Raider and this should help you reconstruct the ribbons here:

post-10864-0-51250800-1438571370.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

these things just end up where they are supposed to be. glad you won the uniform. I located this bio (if you do not already have it) of this highly decorated Raider and this should help you reconstruct the ribbons here:

Don't know if he saw it but I certainly didn't. Somehow missed that he hit Okinawa as well..

[PS, sent you a PM American Heritage...]

• 1 month later...