Why are these Marine uniforms bid so High

Raidercollector

$3K for this uniform is way out there in my opinion. A nice original/named piece but beyond that I don' see anything special about it. I guess I am lucky my Raider war dog platoon tunic (witch is literally 100 time more rare than this one) went for less than a thousand. If it was a valor award winner or had the rare wool Australian patch I could see it but not for this one IMHO.

All -

Could be some shill bidding going on too. Someone told me that this seller usually gets high prices for his auctions, so maybe he has a friend and knows how to work bidders and ebay?

I agree, I don't think the blooded patch could drive up the value that much.

Not sure what is going on here really.

Best,

Bill K.

Eric et al -

While I agree with you all that the raider tunic is not worth the prices it is heading now on the other hand I feel fairly sure that attributed raider tunics with raider patches are worth somewhat more than $800. Eric, I can tell you I truly am so happy that you were able to grab your rare dog handler tunic! However, I can assure you that had I seen it for sale on ebay you would have paid more. I could well have been out of town that week. The point is there are just as many reasons something might go for lower than market value on ebay as there are reasons that something may go higher. Sometimes you just get lucky. Not sure that ebay is the market standard for pricing. Being somewhat tongue and cheek here but anyone who has an attributed raider tunic they think is worth $800 I will be happy to offer you $1200.

Good discussion, very best to all!

Bill K.

Eric et al -

While I agree with you all that the raider tunic is not worth the prices it is heading now on the other hand I feel fairly sure that attributed raider tunics with raider patches are worth somewhat more than $800. Eric, I can tell you I truly am so happy that you were able to grab your rare dog handler tunic! However, I can assure you that had I seen it for sale on ebay you would have paid more. I could well have been out of town that week. The point is there are just as many reasons something might go for lower than market value on ebay as there are reasons that something may go higher. Sometimes you just get lucky. Not sure that ebay is the market standard for pricing. Being somewhat tongue and cheek here but anyone who has an attributed raider tunic they think is worth $800 I will be happy to offer you $1200.

Bill K.

I think patched has a big factor in price, have seen a few unpatched, generally due to post-war service, fetch below $800. That said, $1200 wouldn't be outrageous, and is a fraction of the price of the current auction piece.

Out of curiosity, were you formerly/currently a German collector? I see you using the term tunic a lot, in the Marine Corps they're referred to as blouses, or less officially jackets

Brig -

As you see, I clearly agree that this blouse is overpriced as it stands. On the other hand, might one say "worth" can also be determined merely by what someone is willing to pay for the item on any given day? We talk a lot about prices on this forum and I sometimes think there is a dogmatic approach to the idea of "worth". This is an elastic term and sometimes I like to take a different tack to approach the discussion. Some might call it playing devil's advocate, though I hope no one perceives me as "evil"! :)

I do collect some German items, but still primarily always a US collector. Many of my collector friends however over the years have been german collectors so perhaps I have unconsciously accepted the term into my lexicon. I have always felt it has a more formal feel than "jacket", though I do like "blouse" as well - might have to start trying to use that term more. I appreciate your pointing it out!

Very best

Bill K.

I do collect some German items, but still primarily always a US collector. Many of my collector friends however over the years have been german collectors so perhaps I have unconsciously accepted the term into my lexicon. I have always felt it has a more formal feel than "jacket", though I do like "blouse" as well - might have to start trying to use that term more. I appreciate your pointing it out!

Very best

Bill K.

No worries! Before joining the Corps, and while shifting gears from German to US, I also used the term extensively. Until my DI's beat the term blouse into my brain housing group. Now it's just something I notice pertaining to USMC uniforms. You could probably call an Army uniform anything you wanted and I'd never notice, I don't even know what they refer to them as today!

Eric et al -

Bill K.

Bill

Well said.Price/Worth is basically what is paid at a given time or moment on collectibles in general.Auction sites are raft with prices at both high and low extremes.

I have to wonder if this uniform was posted in an open forum at $1500.00 would it have sold immediately or how many buyers would there be?I have seen some great items on forums offered for less than ended auction prices set unsold and just as rare or desirable.

Take Bens ETO camo sniper jacket.On a scale or rarity that jacket is there.I have seen more SS camo than one of those.That was a one look no brainer camo jacket to a collector.It did sell but just saying auctions are generally emotion driven where the same item would set on a forum with onlookers waiting for the price to drop.

blitzkrieg gsd

Worth is defined by what a buyer is willing to pay. So it looks like this jacket is worth almost 3k to someone out in the world. I can understand really wanting a piece and being willing to spend a good chunk of cash to get it. But I can't understand going as far as the bidders are on this jacket. It's kind of looking like someone is running the price up on the sellers behalf. I could be wrong about that but I think if I really wanted a raider uniform I could find one with the same quality as this one has for less then 1k. Heck I would be willing to sell mine for less than 1k not a lot less but still. To me I think a paramarine uniform is more desirable and rare then a raider uniform. Of course that's my opinion and others may fell deferent. But this is gotten way over the top as far as price goes. And you guys are rite we will see more of them hit the market after this one sells because of this sell. I'm even thinking about putting one of mine on eBay just to see what happens.

Blitz -

I agree, I believe there is shill bidding going on but you never know some rich guy may have decided last week he wants a raider uniform. My gosh if you're going to sell please keep me in mind, I have really wanted one for some time and even went so far as to place a want ad on this forum, something I never do, and didn't get any replies! Been to shows etc. and found nothing. Also, I think I have a decent network of collectors I know but no one is selling. So, again, not saying this blouse is worth $2800 but they aren't falling out of trees either.

Best,

Bill K.

doinworkinvans

What's that old saying....gosh I just cant remember....I think its something about a dead horse and beating it?? :lol:

Raidercollector

Blitz -

I agree, I believe there is shill bidding going on but you never know some rich guy may have decided last week he wants a raider uniform. My gosh if you're going to sell please keep me in mind, I have really wanted one for some time and even went so far as to place a want ad on this forum, something I never do, and didn't get any replies! Been to shows etc. and found nothing. Also, I think I have a decent network of collectors I know but no one is selling. So, again, not saying this blouse is worth $2800 but they aren't falling out of trees either.

Best,

Bill K.

It depends who's tree you go to with enough cash.

Nick

blitzkrieg gsd

Bill I understand they are not falling out of trees but there's plenty of them out there. Maybe not plenty but there out there you will find one and it won't cost you no where close to this ones price. If I decide to sell one of mine I'll for sure keep you in mind and give you a chance at it. And I won't charge you your first born child plus a spot in your will to get it. There's for sure some shill biding going on with this sell. I'm thinking that's why the price came up so fast and so expensive. Wish we could know how many different bidders were bidding on this jacket. That would give us a better idea if it was a shill bidder or a few collectors doing the bidding.

By the way does anyone know the seller of this jacket? Is he a member here? Are any of you guys doing the bidding here?

Raidercollector

Whats strange you can buy a Raider purple heart KIA for that price, Which would you rather have ? Bill they are around, I'm sure after this they might pop up. I have one raider uniform but it comes with a group of his things,Dog tags ,Photo's,Document's Etc... And I have another with just his uniform and file. But they are so hard to find. Most of my Raider groups are mostly medals. I am not bidding on this group and I do not know this seller. He might be a member here though.

Nick

ViewfinderGyrene

I can say one thign in all of this, this blosue would fit me like a glove LMAO! It's only the 2nd 1M I've seen. Nobody wants that size but yours truly :lol:

Do think price is relative though, these days so much is largely unpredictable on there...

Raidercollector

Well it never made the $3000.00 mark. I thought it would have went higher. Maybe the buyer is on this forum

Nick

Nick -

I agree, I thought the same - I originally thought $5,000. I still say shill bidding was involved even if the winner was legit. Usually the rare items like this don't get bid up to high until the last hours or even minutes. To see this bid up so high in the first few days then nothing for several days and then one more bid last night? Doesn't fit the pattern IMHO.

Congrats to the winner!

Very best,

Bill K.

American Heritage

waaaay too expensive. The patch was likely a replacement but it was well marked with his name and this Raider saw a lot of combat. But at almost 3k, this was way out of the realm of possibility for me. I would not be surprised to see it pop back up for sale soon.

waaaay too expensive. The patch was likely a replacement but it was well marked with his name and this Raider saw a lot of combat. But at almost 3k, this was way out of the realm of possibility for me. I would not be surprised to see it pop back up for sale soon.

With or without the patch??? :)

Best,

Bill K.

1straidergson

I was the winning bidder in the auction. I agree with most that this uniform brought an extremely high price. I have many Raider uniforms however; this uniform had quite more sentimental attachment than most. I am the grandson of an original 1st Raider who served with Co. A 1st Bn 5th Marines in Cuba and then B,D and Hq of the 1st Raiders from their creation on February 16th 1942 until their disbandment in 1944. My grandfather served in every campaign with the 1st Raiders. Just by chance this uniform belonged to Alfred Camlin. I corresponded and spoke with this man for many years until his death. Al was barracks room mates with my grandfather when the 1st Raiders were in Company A barracks at the Crossroads in Quantico before the Raiders movement to the Pacific. Al was a squad leader in 1st Squad Co B on Tulagi, Guadalcanal, and later a platoon Sgt on New Georgia (WIA GSW to the leg). After their return stateside in 1944 Al said he got in to trouble and was sent to a replacement draft. He returned to the Pacific and was assigned to the 1st Marines and participated in the invasion of Okinawa. On Okinawa he was seriously wounded (WIA back/legs). He was returned stateside and had numerous operations. While in the hospital he met his future wife a Naval officer. Before the end of both of their military careers they chose to have a formal military wedding, whereas Al flashed up his uniform. The original Raider patch that was on the uniform was removed and replaced with the Red Felt back and his appropriate rank of GySgt was sewn on. He wanted to look sharp for his wedding. I also know for a fact that Raiders had a tendency and violate Marine Corps regulations to either always keep their Raider patch or replace it when they come home. He was a great man with an impeccable memory and offered a wealth of knowledge to me about my grandfather who died when I was 4. My grandfather left the Marine Corps as a Sgt Major in 1946 and none of his uniforms survived. This uniform would have hung in the same wall locker as my grandfathers in Quantico in 1942. I wish I could have purchased it for less but was willing to pay more. Semper Fi

cperkins510

I was the winning bidder in the auction. I agree with most that this uniform brought an extremely high price. I have many Raider uniforms however; this uniform had quite more sentimental attachment than most. I am the grandson of an original 1st Raider who served with Co. A 1st Bn 5th Marines in Cuba and then B,D and Hq of the 1st Raiders from their creation on February 16th 1942 until their disbandment in 1944. My grandfather served in every campaign with the 1st Raiders. Just by chance this uniform belonged to Alfred Camlin. I corresponded and spoke with this man for many years until his death. Al was barracks room mates with my grandfather when the 1st Raiders were in Company A barracks at the Crossroads in Quantico before the Raiders movement to the Pacific. Al was a squad leader in 1st Squad Co B on Tulagi, Guadalcanal, and later a platoon Sgt on New Georgia (WIA GSW to the leg). After their return stateside in 1944 Al said he got in to trouble and was sent to a replacement draft. He returned to the Pacific and was assigned to the 1st Marines and participated in the invasion of Okinawa. On Okinawa he was seriously wounded (WIA back/legs). He was returned stateside and had numerous operations. While in the hospital he met his future wife a Naval officer. Before the end of both of their military careers they chose to have a formal military wedding, whereas Al flashed up his uniform. The original Raider patch that was on the uniform was removed and replaced with the Red Felt back and his appropriate rank of GySgt was sewn on. He wanted to look sharp for his wedding. I also know for a fact that Raiders had a tendency and violate Marine Corps regulations to either always keep their Raider patch or replace it when they come home. He was a great man with an impeccable memory and offered a wealth of knowledge to me about my grandfather who died when I was 4. My grandfather left the Marine Corps as a Sgt Major in 1946 and none of his uniforms survived. This uniform would have hung in the same wall locker as my grandfathers in Quantico in 1942. I wish I could have purchased it for less but was willing to pay more. Semper Fi

It sounds like there are few people, if any, who would appreciate it more. Congratulations!

Well, that seems to be the best reason to overpay. I wonder if the runner up had any such reasons. Glad it is going to a good home that will greatly appreciate it

By chance, will the two uniforms be hanging side by side once more?

Raidercollector

Well it goes to a good home, Congrads, Never thought they would bring that much money. I guess I was wrong. Its a great uniform. Will you add his ribbons ?? I only own 2 raider uniforms. No red backs though.

Nick