Why are these Marine uniforms bid so High

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Wow I saw that Raider uniform to, And your right,Almost $ 1,000 Bucks. You can see in the sleeve's where he changed the platoon Sgt to Gunny. Patch. And also where the raider patch is,You can see there was another patch that was taken off. Make another raider patch was there., Any Thoughts on that Guy's

Nick

Corpsman_1941

Wow, I seen PltSgt chevron thread evidence but after your post I saw that another Raider patch was there, interesting what it was... Restored?

Raidercollector

I,m sure it was restored, By who ? who knows. Where the raider patch was,could have been several other patches besides a small raider patch, They are all the same size as the small twill raider patch.That,s my thought's.

Nick

I have a Raider Corpsman group and have mentioned before the there is evidence of a removed patch.I actually saw the patch( I believe to be removed) in his dog tag group that was sold off.It was a well worn wool theatre made example.The old out line in the sleeve is typical of the shape of a theatre made patch.Knowing where this had sat for the last couple of decades and the previous owner was a co-worker of the vet I know it wasnt replaced in my life time and the seller didnt even know what the patch stood for.I can only guess the vet replaced his worn one with a full embroidered one.

Actually when you think about it is any Raider uniform with a skull patch correct? They were disbanded and those who were fit for duty moved on to other assignments or divisions.Same with the Para Marines.

A second raider group I have the vet wore the 1st division patch.Seems Raiders and Para Marines often would wear their prior unit patch showing service with the disbanded unit.Even seen a ParaMarine patched uniform from an Iwo vet with the outline of the 5th under the PM patch.Reached uniforms dont bother me as it happened.Sometimes research can verify it other times you just can go by the source.

doinworkinvans

I think people like "GPSTORAGECO's" items - I believe people tend to pay more from certain sellers

Kurt Barickman

The Raider 's name is all over that armpit and stamped in the correct manner and an early date. Ancestry seems to confirm this uniform. Just for documentation sake, it is not mine nor was it ever and I am not bidding on this item. But I do like it. My Lindberg USMC enlisted tunic too does have the Raider patch even though he earned fame with E-2-28th Marines Fifth Division.

Just my two cents on this topic.

Kurt

blitzkrieg gsd

I'm going to agree with Kurt it took me a minute to make up my mind on this uniform but I'm going to give it a thumbs up.

Wow that's a big price already on the raider uniform still has plenty of time to go. Maybe Marine uniforms are starting to take off in price and no one told us.

Good, legit, verified USMC uniforms from documented combat vets have been going for $500+ fairly regularly, especially if there is a desirable historical connection, such as the battle at Iwo Jima. So big prices on nice USMC uniforms really shouldn't be too surprising.

That 4th Marine Division Iwo Jima tanker grouping from earlier in the year was an excellent example of this, with the full dress green uniform selling for nearly $800.

It appears that the ghost of the "other" SSI was likely the Raider patch before it was 'blooded', as it is a shirt size patch and ghost and those are less commonly seen

blitzkrieg gsd

It's SOP for para marines and raiders,to put those patches back,on their uniforms after or rite before rotating home rite? Since both units was disbanded before the war was even close to being over. Almost all of the members of those two units,would have been assigned to other units. If you think of like that you can say that 90% of all para and raider uniforms are restored. Now was the restoration done by the vets in the 40s or by a collector last month that's the real question rite.

I don't think this is really a restore, but an update, just as we see the ghost of his former rank, we see the ghost of the unblooded SSI.

I don't think it was a tradition to repatch uniforms, and outside the definition of SOP. I think some were repatched for reunions, others by collectors who found the SSI in the pocket or photo album, and some just repatched with a separately acquired SSI to restore a uniform. This is especially true with alphas, which I feel that with the SSI of these units, as you say, were more often than not repatched.

You have a better chance of finding originally patched blues for a couple of reasons, IMHO. Many vets were sent back to the States when these units disbanded to form new units, during which time they may have acquired their blues if they had not acquired them before shipping off. Once the unit disbanded and they were thrown into a new unit with an undoubtedly full schedule of training, the blues went into the closets. These vets would have finished out the war overseas, and been hurriedly processed and separated upon returning home without the opportunity of even inclination of updating their blues. The Paramarine blues blouse in my collection is untouched, the photo of the vet in it reveals that to be true, as does a complete lack of ghosts inside the sleeve. It has an Aussie made SSI, so obviously he acquired the uniform upon rotating back to the States. The photo reveals him with his post-Bougainville awards, but pre-Iwo Jima

American Heritage

I started a thread with my concerns here. Would welcome further incite. I realize it is marked but it must have been re-patched after his service between 42 and 46 since the raider patch would have been removed in those years and replaced esp since the chevrons were replaced and a ruptured duck added. Anyone know if the seller is on the Forum?http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/244543-raider-uniform-on-auction/&do=findComment&comment=1952899

Corpsman_1941

Due to ruptured duck and early contract date I would say that he issued it first when he returned from New Georgia and hold it when he was sent with replacement for 1st Marines just before Okinawa where he was wounded 2nd time (1st on New Georgia) and when returned issued it again, One of my1st div uniform has similar history, it has Pfc chevrons ghosts below Cpl stripes. Marine was promoted to Pfc day before 1st div left Wellington NZ and later to Cpl in late February 1943 in Australia, due to early contract 1940-41 and Aussie made blooded patch on right sleeve It seems that he issued it first in Australia (some Marines were lucky enough to buy greens in Meblourne) and when they left Australia for New Guinea and Cape Gloucester he sent it home, I bought blouse from US, with typical M37 enlisted EGAs

Wow that's a big price already on the raider uniform still has plenty of time to go. Maybe Marine uniforms are starting to take off in price and no one told us.

Simple economics - High demand, low supply.

Very best,

Bill K.

Raidercollector

Well the Raider uniform is almost at $ 1700.00 . How high will it go? Are these rare marine raider uniforms bringing this kind of money? I might sell mine if they go even higher. But they are so hard to fine original raider uniforms. I would miss mine.

Nick

Raidercollector

Well it's now at $ 2700.00 ,Now to me its way to much money it's bringing . I wonder what my Marine Raider KIA Silver star would bring ?

Wow.

Nick

Nick -

I believe it will sell for over $5000.

Very best

Bill K

I think it will plateau soon until the final minutes. 5 grand is excessive, IMO

Chutesandskulls

I think it will fetch around 4000. Makes me wonder what some of my Raiders are worth.

I think this one is receiving a lot of hype, possibly in part due to this thread, and will be the exception, not the rule...though I predict we see people trying to capitalize on the end price and suspect we will see more than one more appear for sale soon after

Brig -

Excessive, perhaps but to play devil's advocate, how many raider tunics have you seen for sale lately - named, blooded patch? I know I have been looking for several years and haven't seen squat. Also, Nick, keep in mind you already have a, sounds like, fantastic raider tunic but for those of us that don't how do we get one? As you say, you aren't selling, and I would venture to guess most collectors like you would say the same, so you see one on ebay and bid like hell. I'm not sure I will bid on this one only because I am convinced it will either be over my budget before the end of the bidding time or will rocket over it quickly in the final seconds.

Very best to all!

Bill K.

ViewfinderGyrene

Dang sad. I'll never have one if this becomes the new norm.

As I've always said, monetary value only lasts so long, historical value is timeless...

Brig -

Excessive, perhaps but to play devil's advocate, how many raider tunics have you seen for sale lately - named, blooded patch? I know I have been looking for several years and haven't seen squat. Also, Nick, keep in mind you already have a, sounds like, fantastic raider tunic but for those of us that don't how do we get one? As you say, you aren't selling, and I would venture to guess most collectors like you would say the same, so you see one on ebay and bid like hell. I'm not sure I will bid on this one only because I am convinced it will either be over my budget before the end of the bidding time or will rocket over it quickly in the final seconds.

Very best to all!

Bill K.

This would be the third Raider blouse in the past year, albeit the last one was not blooded but to a dog handler back in April

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/238623-raider-blouse-on-ebay/?hl=raider

Can't recall the final price, but it wasn't 5K

To each their own, I suppose, but I've seen Iwo Jima Medal of Honor recipient uniforms go for less than $5000...if it gets that high I fear it may inspire people to 'restore' their named Raider uniforms by removing the other SSI and stitching a randomly acquired Raider patch back on

Raidercollector

I'm sure this tread has made the raider uniform jump like crazy. And being red blood.I saw that Dog handler one back in April to with the regular Raider patch on it,It only fetched a little under Thousand, H,MMMMMMMMMMMMM Does red blooded bring that much more money? Are nice combat uniforms starting to climb.Like Rifle men Bar,Mortar men,Machine Gun men,This, Maybe out of reach for some of us. So im sure there are a few of us smiles seeing this uniform bringing this kind of money,Especially the seller. I'm also sure like Brig said we will see more of these popping up on Ebay in the next several months.

Nick

Blooding by itself is not worth thousands of bucks by itself in anyway, shape or form IMHO. Which is how it should be, or we'd likely see an influx of Joann Fabric red felt appearing on uniforms. If this was a blooded Aussie made patch, I can see it tacking on a nice sum of cash. Though, his rank as a staff NCO might have something to do with it. As well as the fact that he was WIA with L/3/1 on Okinawa. But again, not several thousand dollars usually

We often talk about 'hero worship' when it comes to MOH recipients and even 101st AB, but you don't hear it thrown around as often in the USMC side aside from certain US collectors thinking us USMC collectors are the 'elitests' of the hobby with the cliques (though I've also seen this thrown out in regards to AB and helmet collectors). I feel that Paramarines and Raiders are the two big areas that attract that near-obsession interest from collectors. Likely because the units were short lived, the members saw ferocious combat, and the units could fall under the heading of 'Special Forces'...and it's WWII, which continues to garner a large percentage of collector interest. I started the hobby with a keen interest on Paramarines, but found myself trading almost all of my Paramarine insignias as I felt the field was dis-proportionally crowded and I prefer lesser appreciated fields as they are full of no less history and under appreciated.

I am very picky with what uniforms I add to my collection, due to display room and the fact I don't like things just hanging in the closet in limbo, but I would love to own a patched and identified Raider uniform one day to display prominently beside my Paramarine uniform, but not at the price this is likely to bring if the tempo continues. I'm going to throw my estimation (ie-guessing) hat in the ring with this one ended between 3-3.5K