Please share your lifelike mannequins

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Mercenary25

Yes, "thin layer" means more or less diluted...

The first color to apply depends a lot of the original base colour of the mannequin you work on.

In the "tuto" (which is not really one) the first color used (second photo) was a complete repainting with a very light "grey- flesh-pink" (home made) because the base was clearly a grey base color not suitable to a natural skin tone and in that case it's necessary to cover the original paint by a new layer before starting to spotlight the features.

In a large majority the original body color of the mannequin can be use as base skin colour (even if at the end it will be no more visible) and usually the first color I use is the red color (various tones, more or less mixed, diluted or darkened) to enhance artificially the parts I want to spotlight for faded out them after with various lighter skin tones of my own...but there's no rule or recipe, it's a kind of "cuisine" (I'm French!) and it's never exactly the same even if you paint 2 times the same mannequin using the same technique & colors, result will always a little different...

...Also, I don't pretend to teach anyone as I really I think that it's to each one, by painting, trying (and failing sometimes) to find his own way with his own technique and I'm not sure than just follow a method would be the best way even if some advices are always precious to start...nothing replace time and experience, the better way to find his own style. The best proof is the work of Jacqueline, the one of Frederik, mine, or some others here in Europe (but we are not a lot), each with her/his own style and personality, though using very different painting techniques, color or finishing but for a nice lifelike rendering at the end...& it's good like that because a "unique standard way to do" would be really boring.

Hope this helps...

Best

Thierry

Some examples all WWII nationalities

788789Customankins1.jpg

126560Customankins2.jpg

870182Customankins2red.jpg

Hi to All!

Just finished...

From that "poor" base... ...Until the final painting!

305463KYOYAOliverManAvtApr.jpg

740975KYOYAOliverManAvAp.jpg

Here some steps of the painting job

636458KYOYAOliverManAllstep.jpg

300861KYOYAOliverManAprtorso.jpg

390635KYOYAOliverManApr.jpg

...not really US as it was realised to display a Feldgendarme, but it could works for any other character...

232152KyoyaOliverManFeldgendarmeb.jpg

Best to All!

Thierry

[quote name="jacqueline" post="2316139" timestamp="

Hi All,

I was blocked or something was wrong,... but I couldn't log in to the forum for quitte some time. Happy to be back and see some new mannequins again!

Glad your back hope to see more of your work. I've seen similar work done with GI joes diorama and it was over the top although I have no photos and could not buy one.

Glad your back hope to see more of your work. I've seen similar work done with GI joes diorama and it was over the top although I have no photos and could not buy one.

Thank you! I'm glad to be back too. Such a shame you don't have photos. Time to post a new one! This is still one of my favorite faces I painted over the years. A battle look, tired but happy, I hope you like it. Happy easter to you all.

Jacqueline

post-158059-0-95766000-1492126718_thumb.jpg

post-158059-0-95226900-1492126719_thumb.jpg

www.mannequinstylist.com

When I 1st started looking at this thread I was amazed at the lifelike art form of the faces and heads. Early in my collecting years I always painted the faces and heads on my display mannequins. As I began to work with other advanced collectors and especially with Fernando Cortez of the US Air Force Museum curator I would ask why they preferred abstract faces and mannequins. As Mr Cortez explained, if you give the mannequin face a lifelike appeal your eyes go immediately to the mannequins face and make eye contact. Just like looking at a real person, you tend to remember the face and not so much the uniform & equipment which is what a museum is displaying. As he would say, "are you displaying the person or the artifacts"? Gradually I began to go back and paint over the hard work and time I put into realistic GI faces on my heads and mannequins. As I learned, with an abstract face, you eyes are drawn to the headgear and uniform foremost. I was never as good as the artists portrayed in this thread the but realism displayed in the combat faces makes me wonder if this style will be the way of future display trends. I will post a few of the mannequins in my collection. I have collected uniforms and equipment from the Spanish American war thru Vietnam for 30 years now. The 1st picture are WW1 Marine named uniforms in post war Parade Dress,

Michael.

post-162198-0-57218700-1492369626_thumb.jpg

Hello Micheal,

First I want to say your collection is very nice, there is no good or bad for displaying, it's all about taste.

I'm just a painter and sculptor of faces, but most of my work is for war museums and collectors. It's my deepest passion, and I love to see them back into their uniforms after I finished them.

I can only speak for myself, but for me each uniform has a special story, my goal is to do them justice the best way I can because they deserve that. The faces should compliment the uniform and tell the story behind it. It's just how I see it. And we all know that most visitors are in a museum to see the uniforms and a piece of history, not for the mannequins.

@swmdo,

Thank you for the compliment, that face was painted after a real soldier at the end of the war, he didn't sleep for days and was tired, but happy the war was over. That was the story behind this face.

@38Driver

Your pilot looks great!

@Thierry,

Your work looks perfect, as always.

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

Hello Jaqueline, I really love your super talent. I feel like redoing the faces on my mannequins if only I had your artistic talent. Your work is 1st rate and I would be proud to have any of my soldiers decked out with your faces. I suspect even my collector friends would gladly like to have some too. I think if the Museums I worked with could duplicate your talent they would quickly change their preferences too. That's why I said your work could change how Museums display their vintage uniforms if they could only see how realistic your work is. My early attempts were so hokey looking they look better now one solid color. Anyway, thank you for sharing this thread with us. I will definitely share this link with my friends

Hi to All!

Bonjour Jacqueline,

Hello swndo,

First of all I would like to congratulate you for your wonderful collection! ...from what you have shown because you talk about "from the Spanish American war thru Vietnam" and what we saw of "WW1 Marine named uniforms in post war Parade Dress" is already so impressive that I dare to imagine the rest of your collection!

"I would ask why they preferred abstract faces and mannequins. As Mr Cortez explained, if you give the mannequin face a lifelike appeal your eyes go immediately to the mannequins face and make eye contact. Just like looking at a real person, you tend to remember the face and not so much the uniform & equipment which is what a museum is displaying. As he would say, "are you displaying the person or the artefacts?"

...It's a big debate among collectors and museums since always and I don't think that there's only "one way" to display efficiently. That's also a question of "what" & "how" you want to show and between displaying a range of uniforms, or showing named uniforms or still, staging realistic dioramas included uniforms on mannequins asked different kind of support for me.

About showing a range of uniforms as your splendid US WWI parade uniforms, abstract mannequins, even sometimes "conceptual" mannequins could be the best way to focus attention to a "range" and compare efficiently each of them without being "disturbed" by the support...

Exemples from WWI "Musée de la grande Guerre" (Meaux - France)

721374WWIuniformsrange.jpg

Or with realistic but uncoloured mannequins, a conceptual way to display uniforms worn by bodies with realistic "moving" positions for keeping "alive" the uniforms but without a "life-like" rendering...WWI "Musée de la grande Guerre" (Meaux - France)

643140WWIMeauxmuseumwhitemannequins.jpg

...in case of showing named/referenced/known uniforms or groupings, the best for not caricature the reference character, is to display on bust/torso or abstract mannequin and to show portraits by side...

"D.Day experience" museum (Normandy - France), D.Day named uniforms & groupings

869108DDEUSAirbornenameddisplay.jpg

...But I join Jacqueline in case of dioramas or scene display supposed to be realistic, showing not only uniforms but uniforms worn in period scenes to make them "alive", then life-like mannequins are decisive because they give to the uniforms all their "human" dimension thru a whole visual reconstitution. In museums, they are also the most effective way of setting the attention of the general public, always very reactive to human representations, but also a good way to more interest people to what they see. Today, more and more museums and new generations of collectors are starting to see staging and mannequins as making a real difference.

"Baugnez 44" Battle of the Bulge Museum (Baugnez - Belgium)

711992BAUGNEZdisplay.jpg

My modest contribution to the WWI "Ossuaire de Douaumont" (Verdun-France)445591VERDUNdisplay.jpg

Until these incredible ultra realistic displays, released for the New Zealand "Te Papa" Exhibition (WWI NZ displays) ...at scale 3!

788730WWITePapaNZexhibit.jpg

Best to All!

Thierry

Hello Jaqueline, I really love your super talent. I feel like redoing the faces on my mannequins if only I had your artistic talent. Your work is 1st rate and I would be proud to have any of my soldiers decked out with your faces. I suspect even my collector friends would gladly like to have some too. I think if the Museums I worked with could duplicate your talent they would quickly change their preferences too. That's why I said your work could change how Museums display their vintage uniforms if they could only see how realistic your work is. My early attempts were so hokey looking they look better now one solid color. Anyway, thank you for sharing this thread with us. I will definitely share this link with my friends

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for your compliments. Please give it a try to redo one of your mannequins faces, I would love to see it. I will never judge any person that gives it a try, that is why I started this thread in the first place, to see more of you all.

I'm sure more museums will follow the trend of realistic faces, it makes so much difference in a positive way... You can also find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/stylistmannequin if you like visit me there, I welcome you and all others.

Jacqueline :D

www.mannequinstylist.com

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a great touch. I was at a show some time ago and there was a vender selling them, The price was okay but the face detailing was so off, you would need to have an artist make it more human/life like. So I passed. I am still looking for good ones at good prices. You know, being a collector, you spend the money on the uniforms, gear, patches, etc. first. So when one comes along, hopefully the price will be right. Those that I have found usually are the wrong pose. So besides having an artist, you would need someone that's good with fiberglass, plaster or whatever. Then you put more money towards that. I hope to get at least one soon.