jacqueline

Please share your lifelike mannequins

Thank you for your tips, Thierry. I have few questions.

Which colors do you use first?

How do you make a thin layer? Dilluted?

Thanks!

ALWAYS ON A LOOK-OUT FOR OEF/OIF ITEMS.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Hi Thierry,

First of all welcome to the forum and thank you.

I feel honored by the fact that you have registered just to compliment me on my work.

It nice to hear you see the feminine touch, I never looked at it like that but you're probably right. ;)

We can Always learn from eachother.

And I'm glad to give you the same compliments to your work.

I think it's great you show steps, for me it's impossible because I use so many colors and variations in colors for

lifelike work.

You are right, we all paint different. If we would put 10 custom painters together they all would have their own style.

that is how it should be, it would be boring if we all painted te same. That part makes you who you are and unique in your paintwork. :D

Regards, Jacqueline

To all of you, because it took some time I will post one of my last finished heads. Hope you like it.

post-158059-0-72741100-1457646245.jpg

post-158059-0-81878500-1457646246.jpg

www.mannequinstylist.com

Thank you for your tips, Thierry. I have few questions.

Which colors do you use first?

How do you make a thin layer? Diluted?

Thanks!

Hello Mercenary25

Yes, "thin layer" means more or less diluted...

The first color to apply depends a lot of the original base colour of the mannequin you work on.

In the "tuto" (which is not really one) the first color used (second photo) was a complete repainting with a very light "grey- flesh-pink" (home made) because the base was clearly a grey base color not suitable to a natural skin tone and in that case it's necessary to cover the original paint by a new layer before starting to spotlight the features.
In a large majority the original body color of the mannequin can be use as base skin colour (even if at the end it will be no more visible) and usually the first color I use is the red color (various tones, more or less mixed, diluted or darkened) to enhance artificially the parts I want to spotlight for faded out them after with various lighter skin tones of my own...but there's no rule or recipe, it's a kind of "cuisine" (I'm French!) and it's never exactly the same even if you paint 2 times the same mannequin using the same technique & colors, result will always a little different...
...Also, I don't pretend to teach anyone as I really I think that it's to each one, by painting, trying (and failing sometimes) to find his own way with his own technique and I'm not sure than just follow a method would be the best way even if some advices are always precious to start...nothing replace time and experience, the better way to find his own style. The best proof is the work of Jacqueline, the one of Frederik, mine, or some others here in Europe (but we are not a lot), each with her/his own style and personality, though using very different painting techniques, color or finishing but for a nice lifelike rendering at the end...& it's good like that because a "unique standard way to do" would be really boring.

Hope this helps...

Best

Thierry

Some examples all WWII nationalities

788789Customankins1.jpg

126560Customankins2.jpg

870182Customankins2red.jpg

Great job, Thierry!!

Did you do the mannequins for the 70th Dieppe displays back in 2012???

Thank you so much Johan!

Of course...Yes! Did you visit the exhibition?

Best

Thierry

Hi Thierry,

First of all welcome to the forum and thank you.

I feel honored by the fact that you have registered just to compliment me on my work.

It nice to hear you see the feminine touch, I never looked at it like that but you're probably right. ;)

We can Always learn from eachother.

And I'm glad to give you the same compliments to your work.

I think it's great you show steps, for me it's impossible because I use so many colors and variations in colors for

lifelike work.

You are right, we all paint different. If we would put 10 custom painters together they all would have their own style.

that is how it should be, it would be boring if we all painted te same. That part makes you who you are and unique in your paintwork. :D

Regards, Jacqueline

To all of you, because it took some time I will post one of my last finished heads. Hope you like it.

Hi Jacqueline,

Many Thanks for your kind reply and your relevance...and always looking forward to see your "petites merveilles" :love:

Cheers!

Thierry

Hi Guys,

I am bussy on my painting projects, but here is a new one for you.

On this mannequin I sculpted new ears so it looks more lifelike. On this head I did a repair, and repainted his head and eyes. :)

Let me know what you think about it.

Jacqueline

post-158059-0-03670300-1460161449.jpg

post-158059-0-08805300-1460161450.jpg

post-158059-0-04474000-1460161451.jpg

www.mannequinstylist.com

Another great project.

He sure doesn't have that plastic look anymore.

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Hi Guys,

I am bussy on my painting projects, but here is a new one for you.

On this mannequin I sculpted new ears so it looks more lifelike. On this head I did a repair, and repainted his head and eyes. :)

Let me know what you think about it.

Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline,

Hi to All,

That's again a really nice job you've done here and the carved ears make of course a noticed difference for the lifelike rendering...What I really like is the aspect & colours you give to the skin tones, with a very tactful and subtle lifelike appearance...I'm still thinking that there's a real feminine touch behind.

About sculpting, I realised a sculpted head for a complete mannequin, based on the head of a friend of mine who have a "tough" face...more precisely a face like I was looking for to illustrate for a "tough" soldier because even if the customisation/painting changes radically a vintage fashion store mannequin to a real expressive character, due to their original fashion display function, they often look like "fashion victims" with romantic and even sometimes womanish faces, far away from the image of an "ideal" soldier appearance.

the sculpted head before...

664462WALTERhead1stsplelpnet.jpg

And After painting (& dressing!)

...sorry, not yet photographed in US uniform but soon!

845754RODGERGNTER1.jpg

302875RODGERGNTER2net.jpg

716719RODGERGNTER3.jpg

I added eyebrows to the mannequin since these photos and even if its a "small" detail, it shows a lot and adds to the realism.

Best to All!

Thierry

WOW, these are superb. I think it would terrify people visiting my war room...

Hi Jacqueline,

Hi to All,

That's again a really nice job you've done here and the carved ears make of course a noticed difference for the lifelike rendering...What I really like is the aspect & colours you give to the skin tones, with a very tactful and subtle lifelike appearance...I'm still thinking that there's a real feminine touch behind.

About sculpting, I realised a sculpted head for a complete mannequin, based on the head of a friend of mine who have a "tough" face...more precisely a face like I was looking for to illustrate for a "tough" soldier because even if the customisation/painting changes radically a vintage fashion store mannequin to a real expressive character, due to their original fashion display function, they often look like "fashion victims" with romantic and even sometimes womanish faces, far away from the image of an "ideal" soldier appearance.

the sculpted head before...

664462WALTERhead1stsplelpnet.jpg

And After painting (& dressing!)

...sorry, not yet photographed in US uniform but soon!

845754RODGERGNTER1.jpg

302875RODGERGNTER2net.jpg

716719RODGERGNTER3.jpg

I added eyebrows to the mannequin since these photos and even if its a "small" detail, it shows a lot and adds to the realism.

Best to All!

Thierry

Paul Bishop

----------------

http://www.modernforces.com

MACV-SOG Living History Group

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

donation2013.gif

Another great project.

He sure doesn't have that plastic look anymore.

Erwin

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for your compliments! :D

That is why I make the before pictures, I forget how they look before if I'm in my paintwork and most people like the before and after pics.

Jacqueline.

www.mannequinstylist.com

Hi Tierry,

Your last mannequin is amazing, he has so much character in his face and I love his eyebrows!

If you see them dressed they look even better! :love:

Your face is tough, but still soft in paintwork, I like it!

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

Hi All,

Time to put a new mannequin overhere, This is a hindsgaul, it's an older model...the onces I like the most to paint.

The customer wanted to keep the original eyes, so I just did the requested paintwork.

Jacqueline

post-158059-0-79337800-1460717447.jpg

post-158059-0-03113700-1460717449.jpg

post-158059-0-51091300-1460717450.jpg

post-158059-0-01640300-1460717452.jpg

www.mannequinstylist.com

Another one that looks a lot better.

I can't wait to come pick up mine. ;)

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I recently purchased a few mannequin heads to practice my painting skills on. It is very fun to do, and I can see improvements every try. Here is my favorite one so far!

Filthy Thirteen with a mohawk. The mohawk is made from an old wig which is made from real human hair.

post-113-0-09537500-1462976616.jpg

"Hey, bloody bucket division, our bucket, your blood."

post-113-0-63299700-1462976706.jpg

"Hey, bloody bucket division, our bucket, your blood."

Challenge for you guys.

Can you make your mannequin look like him?

post-4082-0-01118500-1463022435.jpg

ALWAYS ON A LOOK-OUT FOR OEF/OIF ITEMS.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Challenge for you guys.

Can you make your mannequin look like him?

With no problem...it's more easy to camouflaged a face than to paint a clean head...for me.

Best

Thierry

I recently purchased a few mannequin heads to practice my painting skills on. It is very fun to do, and I can see improvements every try. Here is my favorite one so far!

Filthy Thirteen with a mohawk. The mohawk is made from an old wig which is made from real human hair.

attachicon.gifIMG-20160511-WA0023.jpg

Hi Eric, I agree with you....painting is a lot of fun. Like you said, they get better the more you paint, practice is the key and if you don't like the result start over :)

I'm looking forward to see the next one.

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

@ Erwin, I see you soon and we talk with a good coffee ;)

@ Mercenary25, I love the way that head looks with the camouflage, I've seen him before! It would be a fun challange to paint a mannequins face like this. :)

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

Hi All,
It took some time but I'm back again. Here is a repainted before/after wax head I did some time ago,
I hope I didn't post him before :D
Jacqueline.

post-158059-0-44455000-1477173756_thumb.jpg

www.mannequinstylist.com

Some great stuff again.

photo-thumb-158059.jpg?_r=1427836266Say Jacqueline, your Avatar, curious to know, is this a copy of yourself you made? :D

Thank you patches

LOL..... no my avatar is not a copy of me, I'm the opposite, blue eyes and dark hair :P

Jacqueline

Some great stuff again.

photo-thumb-158059.jpg?_r=1427836266Say Jacqueline, your Avatar, curious to know, is this a copy of yourself you made? :D

www.mannequinstylist.com

Thank you patches

LOL..... no my avatar is not a copy of me, I'm the opposite, blue eyes and dark hair :P

Jacqueline

I was just being clever :lol: . However. That would of been both wild and cool if you made a mannequin of yourself :lol:.