Please share your lifelike mannequins

Hi you all,

I would love to see how you painted your mannequins, and dressed them.

Most times it's amazing when you see them dressed.

Unfortunately I don't have uniforms to show, but here is a wounded soldier I painted.

Hope to see more from you.

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done. Most of us use what we can get our hands on. Nothing this elaborate usually.

Jon B.

Newaygo Mi

Always looking for information on the USMC from 1916 - 1920, exp the 11th Company in Haiti and in WW1, 4th 5th, HQ Company.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

donation2009.gif2015
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Thank you sundance, I love doing these details on faces. A wound like this must be very painfull, one would cry for less.

Hi Strawberry 9, you would like to have a tutorial. Could you post a picture from his face only?.... if this is the mannequin you would like to paint.

Tell me more, what would you like to change, his Skintone, eyebrows, little more life. I try to give some steps and tips.

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

Thanks Jacqueline. Here is my mannequin. I would just like to darken up his skin a little and make him look a little less clean. Does that make sense?

attachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4270.jpg

Yes it make sense, I know what you mean.

Okay, lets take some steps here.

Step 1

I know many home painters use Humbrol, there are enamels and acrylic versions. enamel is oilbased, acrylic waterbased.

Most important is you paint your skintone in thin layers, If your paint is opaque thin it down till it is more transparant. This way you will keep your details like eyebrows etc.

Don't buy a ready made skintone..., they are most times too pink. Brown or beige is better, if it is too dark use white, if it is too light use black. Add drops and count them, this way you always know how you mixed your skintone if you need more.

Step 2.

Mix your skintone with red to give him some colour on his cheeks and nose. Red colours have strong pigments, add carefully.

Step 3

If he must be a little dirty use gray instead of black, you have more control with this colour. If you have a hard time working with brushes use a sponge.

If you have finished your mannequin and he is too shiny, use testors dull coat it works great. We can't buy it overhere but I had it once.

My paintwork is not done with Humbrol so I can't give you numbers, but I'm sure there are persons that can overhere.

I hope my explanation is clear enough :)

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com

Jacqueline,

Do you use an airbrush, or a regular bristle brush? The problem I run into is getting realistic hair. Wigs just don't seem to ever come across as realistic looking, and painting hair doesn't give it the depth it needs. Anybody have suggestions on making realistic looking hair?

By the way...your paintwork is outstanding. Show us more!

panzerbait

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Jacqueline,

Do you use an airbrush, or a regular bristle brush? The problem I run into is getting realistic hair. Wigs just don't seem to ever come across as realistic looking, and painting hair doesn't give it the depth it needs. Anybody have suggestions on making realistic looking hair?

By the way...your paintwork is outstanding. Show us more!

panzerbait

Hi panzerbait,

I never use an airbrush, I did years ago but it didn't give me the results I wanted to see....just not my cup of tea.

I use brushes for all my work from start to finish, all different sizes. You can paint with a regular bristle brush, carefull for lose hair that is very annoying in paintwork.

For wigs I prefer Kanekalon hair, it looks a lot like human hair.

If you want a realistic hairline I would suggest to buy a front lace wig, but they are more expensive.

I will try to show some more, it didn't go very good the first time ;)

Thanks for your nice comment.

Jacqueline

www.mannequinstylist.com