WWII 1944 USMC campaign hat

Hi all I bought this campaign hat yesterday for $20 I dont know much about these. Is it wwii period? It has the date 1944 on the sweatband but I'm not sure if that's just the year it's modled after. The EGA has definitely been attached for a long time. Any help would be very appreciated! post-157121-0-51982600-1436637072.jpgpost-157121-0-65527600-1436637089.jpg

If I correctly recall an old posting on another site, that marking on the sweatband is used on reproduction service (aka "campaign") hats sold in museums and other places. I believe that is one of those reproduction hats. $20.00 is probably less than they sell for new.

If I correctly recall an old posting on another site, that marking on the sweatband is used on reproduction service (aka "campaign") hats sold in museums and other places. I believe that is one of those reproduction hats. $20.00 is probably less than they sell for new.

Thanks for the info. I've done some research and have found other hats with the same stamp on the sweatband that are military issue. Hopefully Someone else will give there 2 cents worth. The EGA has been in place for a long time. so maybe this campaigne hat is from the 50's if the EGA is a 1956 model?

Marines did away with the 1911 campaign hat in 1941. After the war, it saw a re-appearance for drill sergeants and range masters only. I suspect this hat is of army origin and ega was added maybe in the 1950's. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

Just for the sake of historical accuracy....The Marines call them Drill Instructors, or "D.I.'s" for short. Drill Sergeants are in the Army.

LEATHERNECK72

Advanced Collector and USMC Officer --- Paying top dollar for quality Marine Corps antiques. Kepis, shakos, helmets, hats, good conduct medals, old photos, fighting knives, hat and collar emblems, swords, guns, documents. Keep your USMC item in a Marine Corps family! Send me a PM and let me know what you have....

donation2014.gif

So true Brian... your comment brought a smile to my face. I remember when I was a Drill Instructor (1st Bn) at MCRD PISC in the early 80's. Colonel D.J. Meyers was our Regimental Commander at the time and he used to call us all "Sarge" back then if you were a Sergeant or Staff Sergeant. That really bothered us back then, but what the heck are you going to say to a full bird.

S/F,

Chuck

Just for the sake of historical accuracy....The Marines call them Drill Instructors, or "D.I.'s" for short. Drill Sergeants are in the Army.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2019.gif

U.S. Marine Corps DI's, SDI's, SCDI's, DI School Instructors, PMI's, and some range personnel Officer's and Enlisted.

Chuck

Marines did away with the 1911 campaign hat in 1941. After the war, it saw a re-appearance for drill sergeants and range masters only. I suspect this hat is of army origin and ega was added maybe in the 1950's. Kevin

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2019.gif

Happy to stand corrected by those who have actually served. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

This is a copy of a campaign cap.....Originals were never marked "campaign" caps on the sweatband.....This one is also dated 1944.....This type of cap was discontinued shortly after the United States entered the war....Bodes

Thanks for the info. I've done some research and have found other hats with the same stamp on the sweatband that are military issue. Hopefully Someone else will give there 2 cents worth. The EGA has been in place for a long time. so maybe this campaigne hat is from the 50's if the EGA is a 1956 model?

I'd like to see images of those markings. The terminology is wrong (The Army calls them Service Hats officially), and I believe someone traced the contract number and it goes nowhere. I am quite certain that is a museum gift shop and surplus store reproduction.

I'd like to see images of those markings. The terminology is wrong (The Army calls them Service Hats officially), and I believe someone traced the contract number and it goes nowhere. I am quite certain that is a museum gift shop and surplus store reproduction.

It says it's a service hat on the sweatband. post-157121-0-75399900-1436673190.jpg

This is a copy of a campaign cap.....Originals were never marked "campaign" caps on the sweatband.....This one is also dated 1944.....This type of cap was discontinued shortly after the United States entered the war....Bodes

The sweatband says" hat service field" not campaign hat. I've posted a picture.

LOL...Kevin I wasn't calling you out. We all know you love the Corps.

Chuck, I was a Series Officer on my "B" billet for 4 years at MCRD SD. 1st Bn, ITC, Regt S-3, MCRD G-3.

LEATHERNECK72

Advanced Collector and USMC Officer --- Paying top dollar for quality Marine Corps antiques. Kepis, shakos, helmets, hats, good conduct medals, old photos, fighting knives, hat and collar emblems, swords, guns, documents. Keep your USMC item in a Marine Corps family! Send me a PM and let me know what you have....

donation2014.gif

This hat was made in the early 1970s. That's when I bought mine at the uniform shop at El Toro Marine Base as a kid. They were also widely available in "surplus" stores and elsewhere. These were NEVER military issue. There have been threads posted in various forums in the past about these. The sweatband is a fake leather. These were strictly made for the civilian market. There are a lot of these on Ebay, and people think they are actually from 1944. They are not.

Steve

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The sweatband says" hat service field" not campaign hat. I've posted a picture.

My apologies....Perhaps I imagined it but seems to me I saw one identical, only it said campaign hat on the sweat band instead field service hat.. ....Bodes

• 2 months later...

My apologies....Perhaps I imagined it but seems to me I saw one identical, only it said campaign hat on the sweat band instead field service hat.. ....Bodes

I knew i didn't imagine it...Here's a picture of the same type of reproduction "campaign" cap with that marked inside....This one is currently on the goodwill auction site...Bodes

post-158180-0-62057100-1443145487.jpg

• 10 months later...