National Association of Naval Veterans

Bluejacket

Does anyone know if there are membership lists c. 1900-1910 for either the National Association of Naval Veterans or the Ladies of the National Association of Naval Veterans ? I'm looking for a husband and wife who lived in New York City by the name of Abel and Caroline Davis.

I have seen the book: The History of the National Association of Naval Veterans but that only gives officers and significant members.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bluejacket

• 2 weeks later...

Bluejacket,

I went searching for the reference you inquired about, but came up empty. I'd be surprised if there wasn't one out there. I just can't find it.

Apologies.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for the effort.

I'm usually pretty good at the odd research project, but hit a wall on this as far as any membership records.

I doubt I'll find an answer soon, so I'll keep an open request to anyone who may be able to help.

Thanks again for your help and to the members who took the time to look at my post.

Bluejacket

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any general membership roster. But for anyone who's interested, here's an example of the membership badge for the Association along with a photo of a vet wearing one. These badges are quite rare.

post-10651-0-04255200-1438880635.jpg

post-10651-0-46078800-1438880641.jpg

What a neat badge and what a neat photograph. I see this GAR Officer is wearing his Naval rank on his cuffs. I have never seen this uniform before.

Adam,

Thanks for posting the photo of the members badge. I'll be posting the group from my vet and his wife as soon as I can get some photos.

Sarge,

The National Association of Naval Veterans, and probably most of the other Civil War naval vet groups appear to have used a naval design for their uniforms and the NANV (among others) had naval rank for their national and post officers.

The only detailed history of that group was published in 1895 and can be found at the link below.

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t89g62v79;view=1up;seq=9

Bluejacket

• 4 years later...

I stumbled across this amazing presentation badge on the website of the Naval History and Heritage Command.  

NationalAssociationOfNavalVeteransPresentationBadge_01.jpg

"National Association of Naval Veterans commemorative medal, 1899. The medal has three sections with chains connecting each section. The top is a plaque with the text "DON’T GIVE UP THE SHIP" bordered by scroll work along the top and sides with a cresting fin along the center bottom. Attached to the top is a profile view of an eagle holding an American shield in its talons. The eagle has a red jewel encrusted eye. The center section of the medal bears the rank of Rear Admiral with a fouled anchor flanked on either side by a star. There is a rope border around the blue field. On top of the bar there is a ruby and an emerald. The reverse side is inscribed // Presentation by / Rear Admiral / W.T. Sampson U.S.N. / Sept. 8.99 // The bottom section of the medal is a helm wheel beset with diamonds around the outer rim of the wheel and one large diamond in the center. Between the spokes of the helm is the text // NANV 1899 // The reverse side is inscribed // PRESENTED TO REAR ADMIRAL / J.F.R. FOSS / BY THE NAT’L rump’N OF / NAVAL VETERANS. U.S. of A / AND OTHER FRIENDS-PHIL’A / SEPT 1899 // The medal is backed by a blue silk ribbon with white clusters of stars."

(Image obtained from the Naval History and Heritage Command website.)