Military Order of Foreign Wars

KevinBeyer

mofw-banner.jpg

Deus et Libertas (God and Liberty) is the motto of the Military Order of Foreign Wars. Founded in 1894 under the name Military and Naval Order of the United States, the Military Order of Foreign Wars reports to be the oldest veterans' and hereditary association in the Nation. The term "active" is most likely appropriate in this description.

The Order has as its fundamental principles a "firm belief and trust in Almighty God, extolling Him under whose guidance the principles contended for have been established and maintained and the blessings of civil liberty secured" and "true allegiance to the United States of America, based upon a paramount respect for and fidelity to the National Constitution and Laws."

The Military Order of Foreign Wars is comprised of individual Chapters formed under State Commanderies which is headed by a National Council.

Membership in this organization is open to qualified, sponsored Officers (commissioned and warrant) and lineal descendants of Officers who have fought in foreign wars involving the United States Military. Officers performing honorable service as a commissioned officer in the armed forces of an allied country of the United States are also eligible for membership. The original list of conflicts were the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Mexican War. Since then the list of conflicts has grown to include

American Revolution (1775-1783)
War with Tripoli (1801-1805)
War of 1812 (1812-1815)
Mexican War (1846-1848)
Civil War (1862-1865)
Spanish-American War (1898-1899)
Philippine Insurrection (1899-1906)
China Relief Expedition (1900-1901)
Nicaraguan Campaign (1912)
Vera Cruz Campaign (1914)
Mexican Campaign (1916-1917)
Mexican Border Service (1916-1917)
World War I (1917-1921)
World War II (1941-1946)
Korean War (1950-1954)
Vietnam War (1958-1973)
Grenada Expedition (1983)
Panama Expedition (1989-1990)
Persian Gulf Conflict (1991)
Somalia Expedition (1992-1993)
Haitian Expedition (1994-1995)
Bosnia-Herzegovina Expedition (1992 to the present)

and all recipients of the:

National Defense Service, Armed Forces Expeditionary, Armed Forces Service, Kosovo Campaign, War on Terrorism Expeditionary, Afghanistan Campaign, and Iraq Campaign medals.

For those interested in membership: Military Order of Foreign Wars

MOFW_Membership.jpg
(Image of membership medal taken from the cover of The Military Order of Foreign Wars of the United States: History of the first 100 Years 1894-1994 published in 1997)

• 4 weeks later...

I have received a picture of the current Military Order of Foreign Wars membership medal from a representative of the organization. This is how it appears when suspended upon the proper ribbon of the order. This membership medal is arguably one of the finest examples of an American Society medal found today.

MOFW_Membership2.jpg

Kevin

• 7 years later...

Why is it that I can never find gems like these?

That is an excellent example including a WAR WITH SPAIN bar. This membership badge would make a great addition to any collection. Congratulations on your find!

Kevin

Kevin,

I have read that the medal itself may be 14k gold in the case of these early ones. Can you confirm this? It isn't marked and I haven't been able to test it yet.

Matt,

Bailey, Banks, & Biddle made a 14K gold version, a Silver gilt version, and bars that were made of 14K gold. Have you been able to determine who was the maker of this particular badge?

Kevin

Kevin,

The bar is marked B, B, & B but I cannot find any marking on the medal or the ring.

Matt,

Bailey, Banks, & Biddle made a 14K gold version, a Silver gilt version, and bars that were made of 14K gold. Have you been able to determine who was the maker of this particular badge?

Kevin

Matt,

Is it possible that the BB&B mark is on the suspension ring? Or, is it underneath the ribbon on the clasp? The pendant doesn't provide a lot of room for stamping a makers mark.

I would hazard a guess that this is a BB&B piece. Now, the question is: Is it 14K gold, or Silver gilt? 14K gold is approximately 14 g/cc. The density of Silver is approximately 10.5 g/cc. If you weigh the pendant and also determine its volume, you might be able to make an educated guess as to which medal it is.

The only other question that needs answering is: Why can't I ever find pieces like this?

Kevin

• 2 years later...

Interesting. Just came by one myself but the ribbon on the medal is shot. Good thing is that it has the small ribbon with it with the old style catch. Does anyone know how to run down the numbering system. Mine is 1038. Thanks if this forum is still open.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
American Heritage

Hello, I am a member of MOFW and looking for an antique numbered example to purchase if anyone has one or would like to sell theirs.

• 7 months later...

Wow!  That is something else!  While at the OMSA Convention in Milwaukee this year I saw a MOFW medal with four service bars.  Four!  I hesitated to buy it because I wanted to take some time to think about it.  By the time I circled back to buy it, it was already sold!  It was a case of "when are you going to see another one?"  I am still kicking myself!\

Thanks for sharing!

Ha!  I wish I had taken a photo!  I really dropped the ball on that one.  The MOFW was gorgeous and had the most bars I'd ever seen.  It is truly "the one that got away".