USMC leather flight helmet....Paramarine?

1canpara

Found this beauty a while ago, it's in great shape and I had heard that the paramarines had used them for jump training so I had to have one! :) I've paired it with an old fixed bail M-1 with a repro camo cover for display.

post-9167-0-82128200-1436583327.jpg

post-9167-0-95895100-1436583347.jpg

Nice setup, but not the right chincup.

Thanks Chief,

It came with 2 chincups, this one which I assumed was the original, and an obvious repro which is much more formed and cupped. I've been advised that this chincup is actually a very early airborne chincup.

Rick

blitzkrieg gsd

You just mite have found a paramarine helmet their my friend. Can't be sure but I saw a original paramarine leather helmet at this years SOS. Yours has a lot of the same looks as the one at the show.

You just mite have found a paramarine helmet their my friend. Can't be sure but I saw a original paramarine leather helmet at this years SOS. Yours has a lot of the same looks as the one at the show.

I own 7 USMC marked leather helmets, these were used by the Paramarine. You have a nice paramarine helmet. Yes it is indeed a PM helmet.

pararaftanr2

The chin cup appears to be the correct goatskin type that was supplied with the NAF-1092 intermediate flight helmet, as shown. As stated by others, with an NOM prefix contract on the label and "USMC" markings on the rear, this is an item used by paramarines. I'm curious why the chin cup is thought to be incorrect?

post-9787-0-97443600-1436585896.jpg

pararaftanr2

Marine parachutist Sgt. Henry O. Hansen, later, with the 5th MarDiv, was one of the first flag-raisers and was KIA on Iwo Jima. Note one end of the 1092's chin cup strap is broken off.

post-9787-0-01309000-1436587120.jpg

The chin cup appears to be the correct goatskin type that was supplied with the NAF-1092 intermediate flight helmet, as shown. As stated by others, with an NOM prefix contract on the label and "USMC" markings on the rear, this is an item used by paramarines. I'm curious why the chin cup is thought to be incorrect?

The helmets i personally acquired from the PM vets themselves had the normal thin leather chincups normally found with USN flight helmets.

I would love to see a picture of the other chin cup.

Very nice set up too.

Here's the other chincup it came with...but the helmet looks darker in these photos from the sellers site...

post-9167-0-75086200-1436593339.jpg

post-9167-0-13607600-1436593384.jpg

pararaftanr2

ChiefSosa,

The chin cup the OP shows in his first two posts appears to me to be the correct goatskin type issued with the helmet, which would agree with your last post. For Navy flight helmets, these were usually found lined with chamois (or fleece for winter helmets), but they sometimes are found without the chamois lining. The second style he shows, of a heavier molded leather (probably cowhide), appears to be a later type that was available as a replacement item and not specific to any particular helmet. It is also chamois lined. Typically, they are dyed to a "milk chocolate" color, whereas the earlier goatskin chin straps are a very dark brown that appears almost black.

Regards, Paul

• 1 month later...