82nd AB flight suit or jump coveralls?

1canpara

Picked this up recently because I was curious, never having seen anything like it. It certainly appears to have period sewn patches and name tag. Also attached are some leather Lt. bars on the shoulders.

So is this a flight suit for a glider pilot or some kind of jump coverall used in place of the M-42 jump suit? Any idea fellas?

Rick

post-9167-0-64048700-1436582844.jpg

post-9167-0-82300400-1436582858.jpg

post-9167-0-16215600-1436582876.jpg

I think I found your man Rick:

J.W. "Sam" Conner
Appomattox: Jennings Witt "Sam" Connor, 87, died Saturday, October 21, 2006 at his residence. He was the husband of Martha Harvey Conner.

Born in Appomattox County, December 13, 1918, he was a son of the late Duvall Adams and Lois C. Conner.

He was a WW II Veteran, served as a pilot in the USAAF, and was also a veteran of the Royal Canadian Airforce. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Fay C. Cunningham and her husband, Marshall; two sons, Don E. Conner and Lee Adams Conner and his wife, Margaret; a sister, Cecil C. Harvey; four grandchildren and one great grandchild.

He was preceded in death by a brother, Sydnor Adams Conner.

A graveside funeral service was held 11:00 a.m., Tuesday, October 24, 2006 in Liberty Cemetery by Dr. Carl Collins.

That's awesome info, thanks! Even better if he was an RCAF veteran as well because I'm Canadian! I wonder though, what was the relationship or connection between his USAAF service and the 82nd Airborne? Maybe loaned to them to fly C-47s or gliders perhaps?

Thanks again, I hope this is him! ;)

Rick

I've found obituaries can sometimes be inaccurate about military service. If he did fly C-47s or gliders then whoever wrote his obit probably had limited info on his service.

I'm not saying this is him for certain but the suit seems fits the obituary.

Many photos show the flightsuit being worn by paratroopers.

Michel De Trez showed pictures of them in service in his book on Bob Piper.