SEARCHING FOR GENERAL JOHN L. HOMER'S MEDALS

JGC

I was hoping the members of the forum might help me locate the medals of General John L. Homer, from my home town of Carlinville, Illinois. General Homer was a West Point graduate in 1911, and commanded an artillery battery in WWI. He rose to the grade of Major General during WWII in the Coastal Artillery Corps, and retired from the service in 1950. After his retirement he served as Director of Civil defense for the state of Illinois, and passed in 1961. I acquired all most all of his military estate about 20 years ago from a local antique dealer, with the exception of his medals that were kept by the dealer. Over the years the antique dealer left town and passed away, I've been trying to locate these medals to reunite them with the group ever since. I had almost given up, but last nite I did an online search for General Homer, and found a picture of the medals in a shadow box, just as I had remembered them 20 years ago. It appears they may have sold on Ebay sometime ago, and I have no way of locating them now. That is why I'm asking for some help in this matter from the members of the forum. If anyone has any information on where this group of medals is located, I would sure appreciate hearing from them. Thanks Jon

• 1 year later...

About 30 years ago, I traded a collector in New Mexico some items for A WW2 German Army infantry M-36 Tunic and trouser set. In The pocket I found a card stating the unifor was donated by General John L. Homer. I still have the set and the card. I too was trying to find out about the General, and discovered very little other than some reference to his being commander of Army bases, and an incident when a test V-2 Rocket crashed in Mexico and created a minor incident.

Strange how stuff gets scattered, and how he got a German uniform, when he served in the US and Panama as far as I could tell.

Even 30 odd years ago, local "museums" and "historical societies" got loads of donations on the premise that the public would flock to museums, and those were the best place for artifacts.

The truth is that attendance, interest and visitation would taper off, and funding of operations for places displaying old stuff, often ran out. Plenty of esteemed treasures were simply dumped into the trash, as the place was "cleaned out" by ignorant and uncaring employees or hired workmen, to be used for profitable business!

Thanks for the feed back, your story about the V2 rocket is spot on. I actually have photos of the crater in Mexico with a group of American and Mexican officers standing next to it. I'm still hoping to locateGeneral Homers medals, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jon

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's time to bump this thread, I hope someone may have some information on the location of these medals. Thanks Jon