What to do with my M1 Carbine?

Catfishcraig

Government Issue

Craig,

Please do yourself a huge favor and ditch the commercial bolt for a USGI replacement. Regardless of whether or not simple cleaning and lubrication appears to resolve the issue, I would not trust the safety of you or those around you to a part that should never have made it's way onto the rifle in the first place. It is well documented that non-USGI carbines (specifically Universal) have the ability to fire out of battery due to what I believe is the design of their bolt body.

Couldn't agree more. This is a case of Bubba slapping a non GI bolt into the carbine, realizing it wouldn't operate properly, and then forcing it work through modification of the receiver.

Sounds like you got a great hands on opinion from a member, but in case you need more help I would suggest going to the CMP forums. There are some M1 and carbine gurus over there that would help you out no sweat.

Catfishcraig

Thank you all for your help and comments. I hope to take it down again this weekend. I will post pictures of the bolt and chamber. Looks like I'll start hunting for a USGI bolt

Sounds like a headspace problem for sure. If the chamber was cut too deep, that would definitely create the problem you're having. Find someone who had the carbine headspace go and no go and field gauges. The bolt should close and lock in battery on the go gauge. The bolt should NOT close and lock on the no go gauge. If it does, use the field gauge. If the bolt closes and locks on the field gauge, replace the barrel. Have all work done by a certified gunsmith who knows military weapons. Being a member of CMP would not be a bad thing here.

• 2 months later...
Catfishcraig

Update: I picked up my Carbine from a legitimate gunsmith. The barrel is still within spec. The issuue was with the commercial bolt and a commercial hammer not functioning together properly. He ad to remove some metal from the hammer and now it functions just fine. Before there was barely a mark on the primer. Now look at the strike marks! This will work fine for now until I come across a reasonably priced USGI bolt and hammer to replace the commercial ones. Anyone looking for a great gunsmith in the Phoenix area let me know and I'll give you his information.

Thanks all for your help and a special thanks to Chuck for helping to identify the problem.

Craig

post-12393-0-77175600-1443809753.jpeg

Great that you got some help from the forum and found a good gunsmith. Looks like you've solved the problem. Ebay and gunbroker have bolts, but you might do better at a big gun show. Bolts can cost from $50 to $150 depending on being a flat bolt, round bolt, common Inland or hard-to-find Rockola. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...