WWII Navy Mark Five Diving Helmet 8-43

Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective

Ok Guys,

Whats in the boxes. Let me start by saying only UPS can pick up two boxes going to the same place at the same time and place. Label them 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 and deliver them on two separate days and then blame the shipper.. LOl but all is well now.

Any ideas? I wont wait too long for next post.

post-2677-0-27816900-1436454177.jpg

post-2677-0-62706300-1436454183.jpg

Yeah, I shipped a bunch of glass items through fedex about 7 years ago. A month later, they returned it in a new box, with everything broken. They said it was improperly packaged & refused to pay the insurance I paid extra for. After a few days of calling, I learned that my box was in a truck that exploded! Leave it to the big carriers to blame the damage on my packaging!

well i would say 2 helmets? -

boxes 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 - simple first box labeled 1of 2 delivered first day then 2 of 2 delvilered second day :wacko:

Dirt Detective

I like it right here in the kitchen, the little women on the other hand is not so sure about it. :)

post-2677-0-27431100-1436458633.jpg

post-2677-0-83702600-1436458653.jpg

Dirt Detective

This was bought from a retired US Navy Officer, he was presented with this helmet upon his retirement. He kept this helmet in his office for many years untill he moved into an assisted living facility, he said he cherished this helmet because it was a true WWII example actually used by navy divers as can be seen by the small dents on top. This is an all matching Schrader MK V. # 554 Now..how much to clean and how much to leave.

post-2677-0-23558100-1436459116.jpg

post-2677-0-17527000-1436459139.jpg

A+

This is cool.

I used to work for UPS. I loaded and un-loaded trailers and aircans. At the start of each shift we would get through the priority 1 or 2 day packages. There were always less of those, and it was the start of shift so we were in good spirits... 3 hours later its 10pm, the managers are screaming at you to move faster so they can go home, your sweating like a dog in a dark trailer with no air- it gets over 110 degrees in there in the summer... I worked with a guy who NOT ONCE put on deodorant. Thats when you start getting careless and treating packages with less respect.

So if you are shipping a high value item, pay for 1 or 2 day air. Its in the system less time and it is treated with more respect.

Dirt Detective

Yeah, I shipped a bunch of glass items through fedex about 7 years ago. A month later, they returned it in a new box, with everything broken. They said it was improperly packaged & refused to pay the insurance I paid extra for. After a few days of calling, I learned that my box was in a truck that exploded! Leave it to the big carriers to blame the damage on my packaging!

Yea..UPS lost a helmet I had insured for $1100. paid an extra $17 just for insurance. They dragged me along for 10 months hoping to wear me down and just quit. Well the judge sided with me..I got my money back..

Now..how much to clean and how much to leave.

I personally would clean nothing besides wiping it down with a damp microfiber cloth.

and maybe not even damp (only dry cloth) if that's old mud on it from use.. hard to tell from pics.

just my opinion.

-Brian

Dirt Detective

I personally would clean nothing besides wiping it down with a damp microfiber cloth.

and maybe not even damp (only dry cloth) if that's old mud on it from use.. hard to tell from pics.

just my opinion.

-Brian

I agree, I dont like the highly polished helmets.

post-2677-0-08957300-1436460144.jpg

post-2677-0-26481000-1436460177.jpg

Hopefully one day I can cross one of these off my list. I would leave it just the way it is, also! Great addition.

Dirt Detective

OK, Tell the truth. How long did it take before you gave into the temptation to wear it?

LOL...I have only had the chest plate on so far...but by the end of today I should have a pic of me wearing it. :)

dave peifer

i would leave it as is.the original veteran owner didn't clean it,i wouldn't either...............dave

dave peifer

if it were me i would ask the navy vet owner to compose a letter as to how he received the helmet and perhaps get a photo of him and keep it with his service record.........dave

I also like the "salty" look just the way it is now, I think it would look nice with a special display stand made of old wood to simulate an old shipwreck

Salvage Sailor

Aye, leave them just as they are - now all you need in the diving dress, belt, knife and shoes

Diving dress from USS CLAMP (ARS-33)

Dive suit ARS-33.jpg

Dive Suit Close Up.jpg

Dive suit.jpg