M1912 Squad Kit Case, NIW

thebearpack

thebearpack

I picked this up from a fellow collector and haven't seen another like it. It's a WWII era M1912 squad kit case still in its grease paper wrapping. It's never been out of the paper but because of the way the wrap is covering the box, I can peek in on one end and verify that the box looks pristine. Anyone have a guess at its current value? Are there a lot out there? Just hoping it's worth what I paid. Thanks in advance!

post-68734-0-02649400-1436453976.jpg

I'm a little suspicious for a couple reasons;

All the cleaning kits came fully stocked as far as I know. Why would this kit be empty?

I've never seen another wrapped kit, and the wrapping/text gives me a bad feeling.

If this item was very expensive I'd be tempted to return it and buy a fully stocked kit instead, which are still available for not too much money.

Just my opinion - I hope someone will prove me wrong!

-Steve

The last full kit I saw sell on ebay (in the past month or so) went for close to $500. I wasn't that interested as I have full kits for both WWI and WWII, and an empty box which I still haven't decided what to do (cost me $10 at the local flea market).

thebearpack

Thanks guys. I hope it's not a fantasy piece. Maybe someone will be able to shed some light on it.

I do agree with thorin6 though: it seems like beat up empty cases are going for $50+ online and partial kits are hitting $350 or more pretty easily. I wish I could find full kits at reasonable pieces but no joy in this area.

I don't like the terminology on the wrapper. "Kit" to me would indicate that it was a full kit. An empty box would read Box, Empty, Pistol Cleaning, M1912. That is if they actually came in paper wrappers like this one. Most likely the wrapper would have a secondary label glued to it instead of being printed directly on the paper.

thebearpack

Okay, I checked with my collector friend to get the whole back story and now I know it's the real deal. He got it (and another just like it) from the estate of a WWII vet who must have been an armorer because he had lots of other tools too. Among the other items was a sealed set of M1912 tools that would go inside the case. He had Bill Ricca check out the items and he agrees that they're legit. Bill said the manufacturer would ship the case and the tool set separately instead of having the tools bouncing around inside the case. The armorer would then unpack everything and fill the kits. That makes sense to me. Anyway, here is the hang tag that's on the other case. I'll ask for a picture of the tool roll too so you guys can see it. I've never seen another but now I guess the search is on for a sealed tool set to match my case.

The tag is hard to read but it says:

Part Name: Kit, Pistol Cleaning M1912 (without contents)

For: Springfield Ordnance District

ORD. DRWG. or PCE MK. No. 20-20-6

Item Code: No. B16-01-00221

post-68734-0-98426900-1436554753.jpg

Years ago I had a full box of the cleaning rods. They were all individually wrapped in red cellophane.

Hello! Thanks, thorin6, for the confidence in my knowledge...

Nothing to add to what Bill Ricca said. Your kit, thebearpack, is 100% legit and it is a nice addition to any collection of 1911 pistols ancillaries. If you don't want to unwrap it, here a picture of what it looks like. These kits were sent empty. All the content - rods, screwdrivers, bore brushes, part can and oiler - were made and sent from different makers. Many WWI wooden insert kits were refurbished before/during WWII painting them in OD color or black. These welded iron insert kits were made during WWII. The late Chuck Clawson mentions in his "great" book a post WWII M1912 Cleaning Kit, identical to the previous model but for the thinner and lighter sheet iron , but, up today, I have never seen one not even in picture.

Fausto

post-8381-0-36308100-1436607853.jpg

post-8381-0-00129300-1436607866.jpg

• 3 years later...
strand-holm

thebearpack: Just saw this interesting conversation. I have been looking exactly for this "M1912 Squad Kit Case, NIW"

With no offence, should you still possess it and decide to part with it, I would be most interested.

It is beautiful and we can't find stuff like this up here north.

All the best from Denmark.

strand-holm

Hello! Thanks, thorin6, for the confidence in my knowledge...

Nothing to add to what Bill Ricca said. Your kit, thebearpack, is 100% legit and it is a nice addition to any collection of 1911 pistols ancillaries. If you don't want to unwrap it, here a picture of what it looks like. These kits were sent empty. All the content - rods, screwdrivers, bore brushes, part can and oiler - were made and sent from different makers. Many WWI wooden insert kits were refurbished before/during WWII painting them in OD color or black. These welded iron insert kits were made during WWII. The late Chuck Clawson mentions in his "great" book a post WWII M1912 Cleaning Kit, identical to the previous model but for the thinner and lighter sheet iron , but, up today, I have never seen one not even in picture.

Fausto

Hello Fausto,

What a beautiful case NIW. I assume from your collection.

I am trying to find one in similar condition.

Thanks for sharing!

Anders

• 3 years later...
On 9/4/2022 at 1:14 AM, Arisaka99 said:

Thanks for this great reference. Picked this up today; disappointed to find out it is likely empty inside. 

6B65C546-5EF6-45BA-93E5-E5CBE400E25F.jpeg

F7FC6050-20EC-4F33-9112-FA26F228EB67.jpeg

7CC50DCB-3388-417E-A0AA-D9C5ACE10F9E.jpeg

D6197594-85DE-4442-BBA1-2EE2D5BC1CDB.jpeg

Congrat Arisaka99. What a beautilul box. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...