32nd 128th K co. Foot Locker Grouping

BERLIN RED

BERLIN RED

Just picked up this footlocker grouping id'd to Pvt. Melvin Mcdougale who was in the 32nd 128th K co from Michigan. I would love to find out more information on this pvt. but cannot really find anything more than what is in the locker. He has 2 6 month overseas stripes and a wound stripe. There is a letter dated from the 1920's about his disability pay for wounds received in the Great War. Id really like to find out how, where and when he was wounded or any other personal information. Also I would really like to track down a photograph of Pvt. Mcdougale. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? His pay book starts November 1st and is marked as combat pay. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here are some pictures. enjoy and thank you. Jared

post-17875-0-31256700-1436370912.jpeg

There was a Melvin McDougale who lived in Montgomery, MI, which is in Hillsdale County. Michigan did a census of WWI vets shortly after the war, so that would probably be the best avenue for further research.

bellasilva

Holy smokes man..that's a great trunk grouping you have there. Love the dog tags especially

ludwigh1980

That is a top notch WW1 truck grouping and it looks like moth activity was kept at a minimal. Hard to find anymore. Having the trench coat and uniform having multiple patches is quite a bonus.

Thanks for posting!

Terry

BERLIN RED

Thank you. It seems the moths only went after the trousers. They where also shortened at the bottom and there is a small leather tie around 2 belt loops to cinch them up. I'm guessing the son of the vet played army in them and where stored elsewhere for a while. We will never know. Also is there any significance to the 32nd patches being applied at a 45 degree angle? Thanks Jared

bertmedals

Excellent group and thanks for posting the pictures.

This could be your man from Find a Grave. It says WWII vet but I suspect based on his birth date that is incorrect.

Birth: 1894 Death: 1975 trans.gif

Note: WWII vet Burial:
Berg Cemetery
Montgomery
Hillsdale County
Michigan, USA
Plot: Section 2 Lot 192

world war I nerd

That's an excellent group that still contains many of the small bits and pieces, especially the tooth powder.

Any chance of posting a photo of the two overseas caps and a better shot of the overcoat laid flat on the floor, and a photo of any tags or stamps that me be present?

I'm trying to figure out which pattern of overcoat and overseas caps that you have ... Thanks

Brian

Since I live in Wisconsin, it is natural for me to be drawn to 32nd items. This one is no different, what an astounding and complete grouping!

That is a great group, what is the red arrow patch on the sleave?

Looks sort of like the tactical map symbol for a medium MG.

That is a great group, what is the red arrow patch on the sleave?

Looks sort of like the tactical map symbol for a medium MG.

It is the insignia of the 32nd Infantry Division. The 32nd adopted the red arrow with a line across it in WWI to signify its fierce ability in breaking through the enemy lines. They are also known as the Red Arrow Division. The patch on this uniform is a very rough rendition of that insignia and is likely handmade, probably by a tailor.

BP-32d.jpg

You could always contact Geoff at Golden Arrow Research to look this gent up. He worked with me to find out about my grandfather (WW2 service) and he was very helpful and thorough. He is a forum member so you could look him up easily enough.

I too am a 32nd div fan. I have heard that some of the guys put there patches on an angle but not sure why. Yours being double patched is just the coolest thing ever. The 128th is a Wisconsin unit, so he may have been in the Michigan guard to begin with and was transferred to the 128th at some point.

Nice find

Bob

There was a Melvin McDougale who lived in Montgomery, MI, which is in Hillsdale County. Michigan did a census of WWI vets shortly after the war, so that would probably be the best avenue for further research.

Where is this census?

Thanks for the information. That should help get me started. Here are some more pictures of the hats and overcoat. The coat is very crudely made and the only cotton lining is on the inside of the pocket flaps. I didn't find any tags at all but did find a small diamond shaped piece of thin brass in the pocket. The first hat has no markings left at all and the 2nd one that looks like a straight up wwii officers has Pvt. Mcdougales named inked into the inside of the sweat band but no mfg markings. Also note the safety pin holding the shape on the first cap. It is also brass and has a lady figure attached to it. Thanks Jared

post-17875-0-18996000-1436752381.jpeg

post-17875-0-67550700-1436752401.jpeg