Some Special Forces patches from my collection

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Greetings all,
Here are a couple of Special Forces pieces that I picked up that were made for the Teams.I have'nt been able to find anything on these Teams,if anyone has any info about them,please post it here.

post-13386-0-23496000-1436315364.jpg

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

Another "made for the Team" piece from my collection is this patch for the Sniper Troop, of Company C, 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group.This unit is based in Okinawa.

They've been deployed to Iraq,Afghanistan and the Philippines,among other places.

Here is some info that I found online about this unit:

1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne)
The 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) is located on Torii Station. The battalion is the only Army combat unit located in Japan. The Battalion's peace time missions include supporting Commander-in-Chief Pacific Command (CINCPAC) engagement strategy by training with foreign nations to maintain a US presence in selected focus countries. The Battalion also provides forces for CINCPAC's crisis response, Joint Task Force (JTF) to conduct direct action, noncombatant evacuations, disaster relief, and displays of US resolve throughout the Pacific. During major theater operations, they provide forces in support of established operational plans, with particular focus on the Pacific theater of operations.
On the island of Okinawa, Japan some 250 soldiers of the 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group, part of the Joint Special Operations Command, Pacific, operate out of a former National Security Agency listening post at the Army's Torii Station. The site accommodates 3 line companies, each with 6 SF teams. Together they comprise the forward battalion of the Fort Lewis, Washington based 1st Special Operations Group.
The 1st Battalion was the only Army combat battalion in Japan. As its motto implied, it was "Proudly Serving Our Nation at the Forward Edge of Freedom." The Special Forces teams typically spent roughly 6 months of the year deployed. The Battalion supported US Pacific Command's peacetime engagements, among them training with other countries' forces, special forces, and border police in the Pacific region. Training for contingencies included a scenario of theater war in Korea.
With no Army aviation element on the island, every mission was supported by joint-forces air assets. A 2-man Air Force special operations weather team provided critical data Special Forces teams used in planning airborne and maritime operations. For training purposes, the Battalion used a drop zone on nearby Ie Shima island, where Pulitzer-prize-winning journalist Ernie Pyle died during the Okinawa Campaign of World War II.
The Battalion trained in many countries throughout the Pacific Area Of Responsibility (AOR). Performing their doctrinal mission of foreign internal defense, 10-12 man Special Forces teams trained host nation forces in small unit tactics, individual specialty skills, leadership, human rights, and infiltration techniques.
They conducted unconventional warfare, what was originally known as guerilla warfare. There was a mindset of creative problem-solving to engage or counter a threat. The idea was: 'You can't do what you've always been told. You have to be creative.' The planning was 'bottom-driven', with some constraints, of course, as opposed to coming from higher headquarters. The Special Forces soldiers had to determine the best way to accomplish a given mission, based on the mission and logistics constraints. The mission could be counter-insurgency, for example.
Other subjects included counter-drug operations in coordination with the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), in countries like Thailand. Fort Lewis soldiers who deployed to Thailand suffer from jet lag when they arrived. The forward-deployed natured of the Battalion provided an advantage over this deployment of personnel from the 1st Special Forces Group from CONIS Swas another advantage to the island assignment. In Thailand, besides providing foreign internal defense, the Battalion conducted counterdrug missions in the northern region of Thailand. They taught small-unit tactics, including ambush techniques against heavily armed drug runners at very remote borders. The Special Forces teams also provided medical training for border police.
1st Battalion also taught foreign militaries' humanitarian demining, showing them how to render the areas safe for local civilians. Through the Battalion's demining program, Special Forces teams taught demining operations to indigenous forces between 1994 and 1997. The training was expected to resume in Vietnam and Cambodia. Among the unit's other missions was search and recovery of World War II remains in Papua New Guinea, providing medical training in Vietnam, and conducting security assistance training in the Philippines.
Joint Interagency Task Force-West, and humanitarian assistance including disaster relief were also in the Battalion's mission profile. In 2000, following the eruption of Mayon Volcano in the Philippines, the Battalion helped displaced and injured personnel by setting up tents and evacuating citizens to safety.
Special Forces teams conducting maritime operations swim, use zodiac boats and employ HALO (High-Altitude, Low-Opening) parachuting. The latter allows them to leave the aircraft at 25,000 feet and land within 75 feet of their objectives. Training for scuba-team members includes "mother-ship" operations and the use of kayaks. The teams also practice fast-rope insertion techniques and military free-fall parachuting. For divers, some of the locations and sights off Okinawa are unparalleled.
By working within local customs and taboos, and by using the indigenous language, Special Forces soldiers provided CINCPAC with a low visibility and credible engagement force. The 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group's (Airborne), the "quiet professionals," with their diverse skills and robust quick response capability, make them "First in Asia."

Here is a link to the site where I found the info:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/1-1sfg.htm

post-13386-0-30484000-1439598872.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is a Operational Detachment A-034 (ODA-034), Company C, 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group piece that was made for the Team.No plastic backing.

post-13386-0-81387300-1440259417.jpg

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts here that might help you out. So the 3rd Group Africa patch is likely a newer repro of an old patch or a fantasty patch. If it came off of Ebay i am leaning towards fantasy. 3rd Group has not been to Africa in at least a Decade maybe longer. So it seems odd that it would pop up unless you have owned it for some time. The patches all have the 3 number designation which means they are theorectically all older than 2009-2010ish when SF made the changeover to 4 numbers. They all look US made. have you googled that team number or group and seen where they were and when? It helps validate the era the patch is supposed to represent.

So really it comes down to who the seller was. There are a few, very few dealers on Ebay that actually do make patches for ODAs and sell the extras. Most fall into the category of remade from a photo, fantasy, or acquired one and mass produced it. I have seen alot of 5th Group patches for Afghanistan at times that those Bns were in Iraq. The same goes for 10th Group. Their involvement in Afganistan was limited to rotations between 4 companies, yet you will inevitably see patches for 10th Group ODAs that are from the wrong Bns and wrong teams. Anyway, My general rule of thumb is that I do not buy ODA patches from Ebay unless there is some sort of Provenance.

I do know some guys on ODA 034 from the era of that patch and can ask about it for you. I think, however, that it should read Truppen, not truppe so it may be a later copy.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the info.I trust the seller was stating the truth when he said that these were made for the teams and are not copies. :)

• 2 months later...
Patchcollector

Great patches. They all seem to be made by Pugh.

Got any more?

Hello,I think that I have some more but will have to go through my stuff and find them.

Here is another patch that I got from Harry:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/245468-a-vietnamese-made-pruprovincial-reconnaissance-unit-patch/?hl=%2Bquang+%2Btri+%2Bpatch

• 6 months later...
Patchcollector

Here is a new addition to my modern SF collection,a USA Special Forces Military Intel Detachment, 3rd SFG,Operation Desert Storm piece."Life Guards".No plastic backing.

post-13386-0-94402600-1463249627.jpg

firefighter

Cool patches. I'm always afraid of these as I don't know how to tell ones for TEAM members and those just made for the heck of it.

Patchcollector

Cool patches. I'm always afraid of these as I don't know how to tell ones for TEAM members and those just made for the heck of it.

Thanks!All the patches in this thread are "made for the Team" pieces

Patchcollector

I just realized that I posted the backside view of the patch upside down :blush: Sorry 'bout that.

sfcollector

Thank you for posting these Patchcollector. All originals. My area of specialization/interest.

To add to what ODA021 was pointing out, collecting post Vietnam War Special Forces insignia has become a minefield loaded with fakes. I started collecting the Vietnam War-era Recon Team patches early-mid 1990's. Very quickly learned 99% of what was out there were fakes. Turned my attention to the post-war SF insignia, and now that has become loaded with fakes. Be very careful what you spend your hard earned money on. ODA021 has some very good advice.

Here's the information I have regarding your patches (corrections welcomed), in order of the posting:

1. Patch made in the 1990's for the cadre of Operational Detachment Alpha-393, Co C, 1st Bn, 3d SFG(A), to commemorate the team's training mission to Mozambique. The skeleton probably reflects the attitude the team got from the Mozambique's Army trainees. There used to be a small stack of these patches for sale at a military shop located outside Gate 1 leading into Fort Bragg (Ranger Joe's I think) on Yadkin Road. $5 a piece. Should have bought all of them.

2. Patch made for Operational Detachment Alpha-553, Co C, 1st Bn, 5th SFG(A). Probably dates to the early 2000's (?). This team is an advanced special operations/urban combat mission oriented and tasked team.

3. Patch made for the cadre of the Sniper Troop, Co C, 1st Bn, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne. This is the 2d version of this patch given to the cadre. The first version was made in 2002 in South Korea.

4. Team patch made in the U.S. in 2010 for ODA-034, Company C, 1st Battation, 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne).

5. Patch made circa 1992 for the Military Intelligence Detachment, 3d Special Forces Group (Airborne). Designed and procured by Len Whistler who served with this unit at the time.

sfcollector

By the way, I am really looking forward to this book, scheduled for publication December, 2016, by noted post-Vietnam War insignia authority and military historian Gary Perkowski.

9780764352553.jpg

Patchcollector

Thanks SFCollector for all the great info and link.It was good to read more about the patches as there is little info out there about them.
The book looks interesting,I'll have to add that to my "get" list.
As you and others here have stated,there have been many copies made of these pieces;what is key is locating a reliable source that provides authentic pieces,and Mr Pugh is one of those sources.

sfcollector

This field of collecting endeavor is challenging, one of the things I like about it - the pursuit and the acquisition. There's not a single answer to your question regarding locating a reliable source that provides authentic examples. A wise man once told me to "throw your net far and wide" in the pursuit of authentic examples of Special Forces insignia. Over the years I've acquired items from ODA team members on up to a lieutenant general, from retired operators, ebay, militaria shows, fellow collectors, the Miliaria Forum For Sale section, fellow collectors liquidating their collections, militaria dealers, etc.

As you mention, Harry Pugh, who goes by the handle abn_sf on ebay, every week lists authentic examples. If it's a reproduction he will tell you in his listing. Recently he has been selling some rarer examples, like your 3d SF Group Military Intelligence Detachment patch.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the advice,yes there are a more than few reliable sources to be found,since I don't know alot about the SF pieces I tend to stick to a few trusted sources and try to learn as much as I can.

Here is a link to a modern SF piece I picked up that I believe to be authentic.I have'nt been able to find any info about it,perhaps you will be able to fill me in:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/266603-seeking-info-on-a-special-forces-patch/

Patchcollector

I'm transferring the ID info to go along with scans of the patch here.

Original patch made for the 6th Bn, 1st Special Warfare Training Group (A), John F Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School (JFKSWCS), Special Forces Intelligence Sergeant Course (18F) instructors in the 1990's. The "SFOD-I" on this patch is an abbreviation for "Special Force Operational Detachment-Intelligence".

post-13386-0-31648600-1463371705.jpg