Question - Warrant Officer or comissioned officer? W vs O prefix in service number...what's going on?

Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th

I haven't found an answer yet, so it is time to ask.

For a Warrant Officer to officially wear that rank, must they have a WO service number like W906994? Or could a WO have a O- prefix? I've found descrepencies that are really confusing me, I'll try to explain them here. Are these cases of being a warrant officer in the regular army, but that rank or pay grade translates differently when in reserve or National Guard service?

Lt.Col. Edwin Elliott - goes back and forth from having a O- and WO service number. Is he a comissioned officer or a warrant officer? The Army register shows in 1954 he has service no. RW907830 RA WO W-1 1 Nov 54 for extended active duty commissioned service. He has original paperwork showing both RW and O- service numbers and rank.

Col. Ed Polanski - his records from St Louis say he is a CWO-5, but other sources say he retired with the rank of Colonel. Is CWO his regular army rank and Col his rank in the National Guard? All National Guard registers show his rank progress from 2d Lt to Maj, but the 1976 register shows him as a CW2 with date of rank from 1970. Source of commission is direct appointment (other than professional). Not really sure what that means. He was a fixed wing and helicopter pilot.

CWO Harold Sims - listed in the army register as CWO with service number W906994. WO rank original to the uniform. This is all consistent...I've never seen any source showing Sims to have any rank other than warrant officer. This example is my 'control' if you will. He's WO through and through. But the other two??

Thanks, I hope I can understand this better soon!

Rob

DocCollector1441

My understanding is the serial number systems changed between WWII and Korea, so the prefixes may have changed too. I believe, some of the differences you're seeing may be from the WWII use of temporary commissioned ranks. I'm not sure how it was back then, but today for National Guard officers there are a few different commissioning sources including state and federal OCS. My understanding is an officer that goes through state OCS is not eligible for a direct translation of their rank into a federal branch.

Captainofthe7th

My understanding is an officer that goes through state OCS is not eligible for a direct translation of their rank into a federal branch.

Very interesting. Sims attended ASTP and was promoted to WO after 20 years as an enlistedman. Elliott attended OCS at the armored school...so i'm not sure if his comission is federal or form the NG? I'm going to have to review the original documents I have tucked away.

Rob