Brooch or Broach??

Jim Baker

Although I'm not a medal collector, I have considered adding a grouping (or two) to my collection. I'm relatively new to colleting US. How daunting a task would it be to have one or more of our knowledgeable medal collectors pin a thread explaining brooch design and dates of use?

It's interesting we have a category to ID patches, but not medals. I realize there are books out there that have the ID information, but most of those are only a photo telling you what the medal is. I think it would be beneficial for collectors to also know what things to look for in order to narrow down the era of a medal.

What do you folks think? think.gif

Very good idea to put all styles of broaches to one topic.

• 11 months later...
Guest Veritas

Thank you for this valuable information. Perhaps you might answer a question with respect to the proper broach of the "Black Widow" Navy Cross.

Since this medal was allegedly awarded from 1941-42, is it possible to have a full wrap broach or would this likely be a replacement? Presntation box is proper as is the 3 part configuration.

Thank you for any assitance

V

I am not completly positive but my guess would be full wrap brooch...someone correct me if I am wrong but I have only seen these as full wrap.

• 9 months later...
Military-Memorabilia

There is also a sub-variety Slot Brooch, specifically called the Bent Slot Brooch, which was utilized on WWII Purple Hearts. I have seen it posted on another site, but it would be nice to see one here, if someone has one.

I was also wondering about your dating of Slot Brooches. I have seen a posting of what is described as a very early version of this brooch on WWI Victory Medal. It had an open catch, as opposed to the closed catch commonly seen with this style of brooch. Wouldn't this put your first year of production for this style of brooch back to sometime in the 1920's?

• 1 month later...
This an unusual mounting for a British Gulf War Medal.

I am not sure how common this type of mounting is but I have only seen one other like it.

I have a British General Service Medal with "Palestine 1945-48" bar with the same mounting. These medals were issued by the government without any mounting, so this configuration must have been a private purchase item.

Bob Capistrano

FrankEaton01
There is also a sub-variety Slot Brooch, specifically called the Bent Slot Brooch, which was utilized on WWII Purple Hearts. I have seen it posted on another site, but it would be nice to see one here, if someone has one.

Here are a couple photos of the "bent" slot brooch. It was actually used on pre-WWII (approximately 1938 - 1940) contract medals. I believe Metal Arts Co., Inc. was the only manufacturer that used it, and I have observed examples of the Purple Heart, Naval Reserve Medal, and a Soldier's Medal with this style brooch.

384518f1.jpg

effeb31f.jpg

Here are a couple photos of the "bent" slot brooch. It was actually used on pre-WWII (approximately 1938 - 1940) contract medals. I believe Metal Arts Co., Inc. was the only manufacturer that used it, and I have observed examples of the Purple Heart, Naval Reserve Medal, and a Soldier's Medal with this style brooch.

384518f1.jpg

effeb31f.jpg

That particular brooch was indeed used on the 1939 Metal Arts Purple Heart contract. The 1938 contract used a wrap brooch. There are some un-named examples of the 1939 contract out there that were early WWII awards. The US Army awarded these to Pearl Harbor WIA's in 1942. At any rate, a tough contract to acquire.

The scarcest 1930's contrct to find is the 1937 BBB contract ( yes 1937 ).

Kurt

FrankEaton01

Thanks for the additional information! I wasn't aware that some were issued un-named in early WWII to Pearl Harbor survivors. I knew about the 1939 Purple Heart contract, but expanded the date range a year in each direction because I don't know the exact contract dates for the Naval Reserve and Soldier's Medals. The Soldier's Medal I have with this style brooch was issued in October 1941 for a May 1941 action.

027752eb.jpg

Here is confirmation the Slot Brooch was used up to 1963:

Now I am confused. Since the slot brooch was used as late as 1963, why is it so difficult to find the WW2 campaign medals in slot brooch? All I see are crimp brooch, so apparently they began using the crimp brooch as early as 1946-47. Did they use both for some time, or??

• 4 months later...
Now I am confused. Since the slot brooch was used as late as 1963, why is it so difficult to find the WW2 campaign medals in slot brooch? All I see are crimp brooch, so apparently they began using the crimp brooch as early as 1946-47. Did they use both for some time, or??

Were the slot brooches that were issued that late not just unused 1940's stock????

• 4 months later...

Can someone post photos of the type of brooch used on mini medals.

Thanks. Charlie

Were the slot brooches that were issued that late not just unused 1940's stock????

Can someone post photos of the type of brooch used on mini medals.

Thanks. Charlie

Gilt slot brooch with rotating catch:

330d224e.jpg

Slot brooch with open catch:

caadec27.jpg

Applied brooch with rotating catch, hallmarked "Gemsco NY":

8612cd53.jpg

Applied brooch with open catch:

b60ef793.jpg

Split brooch:

ba20c772.jpg

Single post clutch back:

81c75e35.jpg

Crimped brooch, hallmarked "HLP-GI":

74e80933.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Manchu Warrior

I needed this information in the last few days and I should have known I would find it on the forum. Great thread. Thanks! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

This section certainly helped me clear up lots of questions. I do have one question however and that is on the crimp style I have found them in 2 sizes, any comments or reasons...Thanks Joe

• 6 months later...

Here is my personal brooch guide, incomplete but covers the large majority of standard brooches. If I've got anything mixed up, please let me know.

post-5589-0-56703500-1403181801.jpg

post-5589-0-16047300-1403181820.jpg

post-5589-0-16546600-1403181833.jpg

post-5589-0-39978200-1403181847.jpg

post-5589-0-64855400-1403181862.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this thread is old, but still an excellent reference thread. But I'm curious, why do so many groupings from WWII have crimp brooch campaign medals? If they didn't come out until the 1960's why are there so many that exist? Thank you.

MMcollector

The World War II campaign medals including the American Campaign, European African Middle Eastern Campaign, Asiatic Pacific campaign, & China Service, were struck and issue in 1947. They were mostly all mounted on a un-marked crimp brooch. Medallic Arts & Rex Products made victory medals on crimp and slot brooch in 1946. Very early US mint WW2 campaign medals are issued on a slot brooch. The un-marked crimp brooches were used from 1946 through the early 1960's. I'm not sure when exactly the government started making the companies include their mark on the back on the brooch. Hope that helps.

MMcollector

Also the slot brooches were used from 1944 - at least 1963/65. The first issued Air Force Good Conduct Medals are on a slot brooch from the factory.

In 1949-1950's they used a combination of Slot/Crimp Brooches on the Berlin Airlift Medal, Navy Good Conducts, and all 5 branches of the reserve medals.