Brooch or Broach??

Jim Baker

Thank you MMcollector that does help to clarify, I take the majority of WWII campaign medals were mailed to the individual the same as the WWI Victory medals were mailed out in the early 1920's? If I could figure out how to post pictures, I have all 3 WWII campaign medals in slot brooch, as I understand it it's kind of hard to find an American Campaign medal in slot brooch.

• 8 months later...

Brooch: (noun) An ornament fastened to clothing with a hinged pin and catch.

Broach: (verb) 1. to raise (a sensitive or difficult subject) for discussion. 2. To pierce, puncture or tap.

Brooch: (noun) An ornament fastened to clothing with a hinged pin and catch.

Broach: (verb) 1. to raise (a sensitive or difficult subject) for discussion. 2. To pierce, puncture or tap.

Wharfmaster

Yes, brooch is most correct.

Also, it's a " group of medals " or " medal group ". NOT a medal grouping ! ;):D

Wharf

• 2 months later...
ustpatcher1a

So helpful and thanks for posting. I took notes. Answered many questions for my collection. Did you have anything for British miniature awards?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
peoplewhoknowme1

Which Types of Medals were numbered?

Was it only DSCs Purple Hearts, LOM, DFCs and Air Medals and Campaign Medals prior to WW1?

Thank you for letting me know.

• 5 years later...
Chainreaction

Hello everyone,

I am trying to identify the medal collection that I have inherited from my uncle. This brooch guide from MMcollector was very helpful so far, but there are still some brooches I could not identify, or date. Both civil war medals have no mark, but the ROTC scholastic excellence medal has a HJ mark on the back. Maybe someone can halp me and extend this brooch thread.

Greetings from germany, André

20210301_221951.jpg

20210301_222014.jpg

20210301_222122.jpg

• 4 months later...