find your ranger beads!

WW2JAKE

i dont think really anyone collects them but i know many people use them. but they are very handy and ive seen alot of different kinds using different material and different beads. (even one that was using some teeth!) I made these ones some years back and it has the normal 9 on the bottom and i chose to put 6 on top in total 6.9 kilometers (4.29 miles). mine are made of nothing but paracord as i am a huge lover of paracord and have made MANY things with it. there is 2 stationary knots which resemble the beads one on the bottom and one over the 9th bead. id love to see the others that people use(d)

post-125364-0-06843500-1436150532.jpg

DocCollector1441

I made my soldiers that were previous heat casualties wear ranger beds on their uniforms in the field to keep track of water intake. I told them to put one bead down for one canteen or three down for a camel back.

I made my soldiers that were previous heat casualties wear ranger beds on their uniforms in the field to keep track of water intake. I told them to put one bead down for one canteen or three down for a camel back.

thats smart, i never thought of that

I never thought of the water one either. good one.

I guess its the same in most Armies but if not using a GPS or sheep counter the rule of thumb down here is you must know how many paces you walk/patrol to 100 meters clean skin and with webbing and pack.

Also if you can know how many for up hill and down hill that helps.

I have 9 beads low and 4 high.

So for example if you roughly pace 115 steps for 100 meters, you lower one bead of the nine every 57 or so paces counted on one leg, this will give you approx 100 meters per bead and once you have used all nine you lower one of the top ones and start again.

Once you've used all of the 4 top ones you raise them back up and that gives you 5kms.

sounds convoluted typing it out but does work.

Obviously it goes without saying that you need to map to ground as well.

post-117117-0-16676800-1436315549.jpg

CHASEUSA11B

In basic training we all had to wear 550 cords on our lapels and tie a knot for each canteen we drank. If we didn't have enough knots they'd make you stand there and watch you down canteens.

That was in 2002 and I think it was ft benning wide.

There are some cool variations out there.

I never thought of the water one either. good one.

I guess its the same in most Armies but if not using a GPS or sheep counter the rule of thumb down here is you must know how many paces you walk/patrol to 100 meters clean skin and with webbing and pack.

Also if you can know how many for up hill and down hill that helps.

I have 9 beads low and 4 high.

So for example if you roughly pace 115 steps for 100 meters, you lower one bead of the nine every 57 or so paces counted on one leg, this will give you approx 100 meters per bead and once you have used all nine you lower one of the top ones and start again.

Once you've used all of the 4 top ones you raise them back up and that gives you 5kms.

sounds convoluted typing it out but does work.

Obviously it goes without saying that you need to map to ground as well.

makes perfect sense in my mind, also greatly widens the distance you can mark with them. i initially thought of doing that with my set pictured but if i tied an other stationary knot there would have been no room to tie it on... also is that all painted? because it looks really cool

That's good as when i was typing it i confused myself :)

Thanks and yeah my belt kit is painted as the cam on the pouches has worn out and painted gear looks better and often can work better.